OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Favorite Brand of AR-15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Brand of AR-15
    Posted: May/06/2011 at 10:24
We are trying to come up with a proposal for adopting AR-15s for a patrol rifle for my current Department. We need to come up with a list of AR-15 brands that would be acceptable for approval since officers will be buying their own rifles. These need to be out of the box rifles. Reliability is the top priority. I don't need rifles breaking down after a thousand rounds or malfunctioning or having stoppages on a regular basis.
If you could give me the name of a brand or brands that you like or don't like, and a short reason why, it would be a great help in my research.
Thanks in advance for any participation.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2011 at 10:32
Coffee
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2011 at 10:41
I have used a lot of Del-ton parts and had very good success with them.  I have an AR that I assembled out of Delton parts and it has ran and ran.  I have over 10,000 rounds with it, on it second del-ton barrel and it always works.  Occasionally when I am using wolf ammo I get a failure to feed, but not very often.  They use Wilson barrels, just stamp their name on them.  Same brand that RRA uses.

My dads AR is a Delton upper that Del-ton assembled, it only has 1000 or so rounds but it has ran great, he mostly just uses wolf ammo.  I have bought 2 other Del-ton assembled uppers for friends and they have had zero problems as well. 

You can get a whole Del-ton rifle with flat top assembled for $750.  That is a pretty good price.   http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Rifles_16_s/198.htm

Anyway, just one to look at.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2011 at 10:51
Are you tying to stay within a budget for these?
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2011 at 11:15
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Are you tying to stay within a budget for these?
 Well if a standard M4 or A2 is going to run 2 grand...................., but no. There is no budget. Just looking for reliable standard type rifles and carbines.
Piston driven guns are also in the hunt.

Edited by BeltFed - May/06/2011 at 11:15
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2011 at 11:18
Noveske?  I had an upper from them for a while and out the box the most reliable and accurate AR I ever used that way. 
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2011 at 12:10
BCM, I have the following upper:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-18-Rifle-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-18%20ss410%20miss-15.htm

Accurate and reliable.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2011 at 08:44
Originally posted by cpwomack cpwomack wrote:

BCM, I have the following upper:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-18-Rifle-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-18%20ss410%20miss-15.htm

Accurate and reliable.
Is this a piston upper or direct gas impendgment?
Which lower are you using?
hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2011 at 13:43
In 2007 I picked up a lightly used Armalite(Eagle Arms) A3, 20" H-Bar type.
It functioned properly from the start. Aside from a heavy trigger, which I plan on tweaking in the near future, I have no complaints.
Whatever you get, keep them lubed, especially when new.
You guys will probably wind up w/ 16" carbines,,,don't spare the lube.
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2011 at 20:19
BeltFed, I think you can rely on about all of them EXCEPT - Hesse, Blackthorne, Vulcan Arms. These are all one and the same company, usually out-of-spec junk.
 Noveske is great, Stag comes highly recomended, S&W, Del-Ton, Spike's Tactical, Armalite, Rock River Arms, and then there's always Colt.
 Many of these companies use the same forgings. 
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2011 at 20:34
No one
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2011 at 06:22
No, it is a DI upper.  I am using a LMT lower that I had.  I am sticking with DI uppers, just because I am more familiar with them.
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2011 at 08:51
Talked to some of the guys I know that work or have worked for the Chattanooga PD and they suggested this:

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st15-midlength-le-carbine-p-443.html?zenid=515f3d60144ff85d81643ccf39a8cab1

I have never heard anything bad about Spikes and the guys I spoke with recommended them.  For the price, they look like a good deal.
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2011 at 09:10
Give the S&W MP15 a look.  I have one for personal use, and it has been nothing but super reliable.  Never a misfire, jam, nothing.  Just clean and oil once in awhile.  Several of the cops I know also use them.  Just another option to look at.  As far as good to go right out of the box, I'd certainly buy another one.  The model I bought is the MP15OR (Optics Ready).  I went this route so I could put on the BUIS and red dot / scope that I wanted.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2011 at 09:59
I'm watching and keeping notes, so please keep them coming guys. The more info I have the better.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2011 at 09:41
Has anybody got an AR brand that they have had trouble with? Problems like double feeds, failure to extract, hard to release magazines, difficulty seating magazines, parts breakage or anything else that would effect reliability or service life of the weapon.
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 14:05
Here is one of BCM's complete rifles that Pat Rogers is using in his training classes:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M16-A4-AR15-Bravo-Company-carbine-EAG-Pat-Rogers-s/151.htm

It is pricey, but with reliability they are getting it is worth the price:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=138&t=196990

Read through this post, rifle has over 40,000 rounds through it and is still performing.
Fredfrankbob View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredfrankbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 21:49
Out of the box best bang for buck is going to be Stag IMO and now with the new piston uppers they have out, I would definately consider one if I were to buy new again.  Own a few and like my Stag's. 
venatic View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote venatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2011 at 23:54
Rock River makes as good as any.
WYcoyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2011 at 23:38
BCM
Spikes
Daniel Defense
LMT
Noveske
Colt
KAC

These makes represent some of the most utterly reliable and battle ready ARs that money can buy.
The more you research the more this list will come up.
A great source for AR info...   http://www.ar15.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic