OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Buckmasters durability?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndtimer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Buckmasters durability?
    Posted: January/07/2006 at 08:34
After comparing several different scopes in the 4 to 14 power variable range, I have just about settled on a new side focus Nikon Buckmasters. Frankly, I preferred it to a Leupold VX-III in a side by side comparison. The brightness and clarity seemed comparable and the eye relief didn't seem to be greatly different either. The Buckmasters even seemed to have less critical eye relief, too. And it is a nice fit for my budget, as I already have sufficient funds on hand to purchase one. My only remaining concern is the Buckmasters ability to withstand recoil and other bumps and bruises in hunting situations. It will be mounted on my Winchester Model 70 Super Shadow in .270 WSM, so recoil won't be too extreme, but it does come back a bit with the full house 140 gr Accubonds. Anyone been subjecting a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14 scope to a bunch of short magnum recoil? Any problems?
For what it is worth, I have also looked at the Leupold VXIII, the Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14 (which I currently have a 3x9 mounted on the rifle and have had no problems with it for the past 2 years, just want a little more than 9 power magnification for range work and long range varmints), Sightron SII 4-16x42 and the Weaver Grand Slam 4.5-14 as well as the V16 and I liked the Buckmasters the best, and not just because it was the least expensive. I hope someone out there can provide a little additional information on whether or not it can handle recoil, and I should be ready. Of course, if a dozen people report scope failures and nightmare customer service from Nikon, I may have to go to plan B (starting over again, or say the heck with it and live with the FFII 3-9X) Appreciate any comments.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2006 at 09:30

My older Buckmaster started life out on a hard kicking .300RUM. 

I bought the rifle, a Sendero, with the BM already mounted up on Weaver rings.

POI never moved!!

I traded the BM to a guy for some reloading components.

To my knowledge it still performs perfectly today. 

I believe that scope is mounted on a .270.

So, I guess you could call me a fan......

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
2ndtimer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndtimer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2006 at 00:26
Thanks for the reply. I noticed that the current Buckmasters scope that I examined was assembled in the Phillipines. I hope it will hold up as well as the older models. I presume that the older models were made in Japan. I know I had very good luck with the first "new" Weaver scopes that were also made in Japan back when they were first "reintroduced". I believe both of my current Burris Fullfield II 3x9 Ballistic Plex scopes were also assembled in the Phillipines, and they have performed just fine for me. Any other comments appreciated.
c.j. View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2006 at 02:32
I have shot about 50 rounds of .308 through a armalite ar-10 16in barrel and it kicks pretty good and 50 through an ar-24 inch barrel which doesn't kick as bad with a 3-9 brand new buckmaster and its point of aim and tracking are excelent. of course I can not comment on long term recoil or anything else you asked about but I agree with its glass being compareable with the vx-III in clarity and brightness under the lights of a store but how it compares under darker conditions I do not know. 
c.j.
STINGER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STINGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2006 at 03:45

2NDTIMER

I HAVE THAT MODEL BUCKMASTER. THE FIRST RIFLE I MOUNTED IT ON FOR TESTING PURPOSES WAS MISTER MEANIE, MY 458 WIN MAG. SHOT 10 RDS. TOOK IT OFF AND MOUNTED IT ON A 22-250 AI THAT IS USED WITH 80 GR BULLETS.

IT IS NOW APPROACHING 500 RDS AND THE ONLY TIME I HAD TO ADJUST ANYTHING WAS WHEN I CHANGE LOADS. GREAT SCOPE. LIKE THE PREVIOUS POSTER SAID, I COMPARED THE NIKON AGAINST THE LOOPY AND I DIDN'T SEE $500 DIFFERENCE, BOUGHT THE NIKON AND NEVER LOOKED BACK.

GOOD LUCK

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS. I AM HANDICAPPED AND ONLY HAVE ONE HAND TO TYPE WITH.
NRA LIFE MEMBER 1965
MINOT (MINDROT) NORTH DAKOTA
HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR, BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.
HAPPY TRAILS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic