OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

mounting 2-7 viper on Savage short action

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mounting 2-7 viper on Savage short action
    Posted: May/04/2011 at 19:12
Has anyone mounted one of the 2-7 vipers on a short action savage or stevens using std weaver bases and rings? How much clearance did you have ? I am considering the purchase of one of the vipers for my 308 stevens model 200. The problem is that I use burris zee rings and weaver bases. This requires a scope of min. 5.0 inches of mount spacing and the viper only has 5.3 not giving me much to work with. What I concerned with is to get the space down to 5 inches I have to have to turn the bases so that the rings mount as close together as possible. This leaves the base protruding out of the back of the rear ring and given the large diameter of the fast focus ocular end of most scopes theses days I'm worried that the power adjustment ring will contact the back edge of the rear base. Have any of you seen this w/o resorting to high or extension rings? Thanks for your input.
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2011 at 06:45
Can't help you with your rings, I use the one piece Talleys, on Savage, Remington and a TC Venture.  In fact, the Savage Talleys fit the TC and I mounted the exact same scope on my 308 TC with no problems.  
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2011 at 14:21
Thanks I just always prefered two piece mounts as they open up the action for loading etc. I was hoping to avoid that issue, but it appears that this is not to be the case.
jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2011 at 19:03
I have a Stevens .243 and a Viper 2-7x32.  I'd love to test fit them for you and see if it works, but it will probably take me a couple weeks.  The Viper is mounted on another rifle that a buddy really wanted to buy from me, and he's waiting on another scope that I need to send off for repair.  Since the Viper is already sighted in on that rifle, I don't want to ask for it back until I have the replacement scope for him. 

I do know that on my Stevens, the distance from the front edge of the front ring to the back edge of the back base is right at 5.5" with Weaver Grand Slam steel bases and rings.  I also know that the power adjustment ring of the Viper just barely grazed the rear base when trying to mount on one rifle with Leupold low rings and Leupold bases.  So if you had rings that give you just a hair more height over the bases than Leupold lows give over Leupold bases, you should be good regardless of the 5.5".  Unfortunately, I have no way to precisely measure that small of a distance.  But I can say that the Weaver Grand Slam medium rings on my Stevens are really pretty low at only .188" and they look fairly close to the same distance over the base as Leupold lows sit over the very rear of a Leupold base.  I would think that with some medium Warne rings you would probably be ok....

One other option would be the offset Weaver Grand slam front base.  That would definitely give you enough room to set the scope back and clear the rear base.

Edited by jason miller - May/07/2011 at 19:07
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2011 at 19:42
Jason thanks, Like yours depending on how I turn the bases My rings run from about 5.5" to right at 5.0". The viper scope only has 5.2 " of space so it's a pretty close fit. The problem is that to get the 5.0" spacing the rear of the base sticks out in the rear. This can be a problem since most of the fast focus scopes made today have a fairly large ocular bell. I do know that the bell on my fullfield ii when mounted on a stevens will contact the base at the rear if I'm not careful. Fortunately being a 3-9 it is long enough for me to mount it a bit further back in order to clear. I could accomplish this with the shorter scope by using a extension ring on the front to allow me to set the scope further back. Unfortunately the ring is then over hanging the loading port with for some eccentric reason bugs me. I really have decided to just leave well enough alone. I have a nice older 2.5-8 bushnell scopechief I've had for years on it and it does just fine. This is a backup loaner rifle anyway. I was just sort of intrigued by the vipers at their current price and this is the only rifle I have that I can convince myself a new scope may be in justifiable. I really have 3 things working against me so maybe it's best to just punt.

1. Short action that's not all that short
2. Short scope
3 Longish chubby ocular bell

Edited by powderburn - May/07/2011 at 19:45
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2011 at 20:29
Right.  I knew exactly what you meant with the ocular bell and the rear base.  The problem with the Viper will be the very front of the ocular bell- where the power ring is.  That's why I tried to describe the distance on my rifle.  I have both Weaver bases turned so that the rings are as close together as possible, and the front edge of the front ring the the rear edge of the rear BASE is 5.5".  There will be plenty of room for the scope from ring to ring.  I just don't know how high of rings you would have to get to clear the power adjustment ring over the rear base. 

It took a couple readings for me to figure out exactly what your original post meant.  Maybe I should read my original reply a couple more times to see if it's confusing.

And the Viper really is a nice scope at a great deal.  The only gripes I have are that it weighs the same as most 3-9x40 scopes, the C3 reticle I ordered isn't very thick, and it's kind of an ugly scope.  Regardless, I'm glad I have one.  Won't even have a rifle to put it on here in a little while, but I like having a nice scope laying around just in case.

Oh, and I have an old Scopechief 2.5-8 here too.  Unfortunately, it had a range compensating reticle and the vertical adjustment part of the top turret cap is missing.  I have no idea what to do with the scope, and Bushnell said they don't have that part anymore.  Any ideas?
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2011 at 20:34
Have you looked at the Burris XT bases?
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2011 at 08:47
Jason Yes it is sort of hard to describe exactly what the problems are w/o a diagram.I had a BDC scopechief for a while The only idea I would have is to look on the internet or if I recall it really has a screw that the adj cap sat on. If you can find a regular cap that will cover just sight it in as a conventional scope and use it that way. Thanks for the input.

Edited by powderburn - May/08/2011 at 08:49
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2011 at 23:06
Well my buddy and I went shooting today, and he said go ahead and take the Viper back until I get his replacement.  My Stevens .243 was currently without scope, so I mounted the Viper up to see if it would fit.  With Weaver Grand Slam steel bases and medium rings(only .188" high), it just barely fits.  The very front edge of the scope's power adjustment ring has a tapered edge that clears the back of the rear base by a gnat's ass.  And the eye relief is just about perfect for me. 

I think I might actually leave that scope on the Stevens.  Chances are that I won't ever want to shoot at any game animal past 300 yards or so, especially with a .243, and a 2-7x32 should be more than adequate for that range.  Heck, 7x probably wouldn't be the limiting factor on a 400 yard coyote for that matter.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2011 at 05:45
Shenko Thank you for the Burris heads up those look like they may allow me to position the scope a little further back on the rifle and shorten up the distance between the rings too. may just be what the Dr. ordered.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic