OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best in $200 range

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best in $200 range
    Posted: January/07/2006 at 07:49

Hi all,

I could use some assistance here.  I'm needing to get a pair of binoculars for my father.  He wears glasses and is in his early 80's in age.  The application will be him using them from the drivers seat in his pickup looking at cattle, so they won't get a lot of hard use but he won't take real good care of them either. 

I'd like to get him a good pair and I'm wondering if I can get decent optics in the $200 range.  All input is valued.

Thanks.

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2006 at 09:37
There are remaned military Steiners on the sample list from ~120 and up. There are also navigators and predator lines for under 200. 8x30's  I'm having a hard time making my mind up as to which ones I want. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

OK hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2006 at 12:20

Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

There are remaned military Steiners on the sample list from ~120 and up. There are also navigators and predator lines for under 200. 8x30's  I'm having a hard time making my mind up as to which ones I want. 

I think the real criteria that I have to deal with is his ability to use the binoculars while wearing glasses.  This makes models with eye cups less than desirable, I think.

FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2006 at 12:47
Nikon Sporters. Generous eye relief in both models for eyeglass wearers and both models are under the $200 price point. Very good optics for the price.
Frank
gremlin View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2006 at 08:44
Nikon Action Extreme 8x40 porros offer great three position twist up eye cups that make it easy to return to the exact eye relief an eyeglass wearer needs.

Very good optics, they're pretty rugged, waterproof, and if you spent another 20 bucks on a pair of Butler Creek flip up scope covers he won't ever have to remember where he put his lens caps.

I keep a pair hanging on a peg by the basement door without the case.  Great binos for people that aren't going to be gentle on them but need good eye relief and a pretty sharp image.

Just my two cents.
GaryO View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2006 at 09:30

Carson XM Series, 8x32....take a look at this reveiw.

www.naturephotographers.net/articles0404/je0404-1.html

Buy at ebinocular.com for $160.00 or so

OK hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2006 at 12:13
Thanks to everyone for the good input.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic