OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS For my M1a

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BossHoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS For my M1a
    Posted: May/03/2011 at 20:58
New to the forum and SWFA...Hello!

Question: Want to put either 6x or 3-9x SS on my Loaded M1a. Having trouble deciding, need expert advice.  Will be my first tactical-type scope, want to learn all the ways to use it for long range shooting.  Want to be able to hunt (deer), but mostly target shooting.  100-300 yards.  On one hand the 6x is a cheaper option for my first, but the 3-9x would be more flexible for hunting and longer ranges.  Are they similar performing scopes? I think that the 10x would be too much. What should a man do?

Also, has anyone mounted a SS to their M1a using the ARMS #18 and ARMS #22 rings? I am curious what ring height will work. 

Thanks,
BossHoss
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 06:47
What type of country do you deer hunt in?  Are you in the thickets and brush where you can only shoot short distances, or do you have wide open fields where the distances get out there?  Being able to dial down in the thick stuff and have a wider field of view will be a plus for the variable.  It will also give you more top end for when you want to stretch your M1a's legs on the targets.

I have the 3x9 on my AR and can't say enough good things about it.  Yeah it's more coin than the fixed 6x, but well worth it for what you get in terms of glass and adjustability.

Either way, you'll be pleased with a SS scope.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 08:20
The 6X and the 3-9 SS are totally different beast IMO  Both are built extremely well and durable.  The versitility of the 3-9 is awesome and would by my choice for you being you will be some hunting as well and being able to dial up or down to identify a target is a nice feature.  That said the 6x is still a good hunting scope with plenty of ablility to do whats called on it to do.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 22:31
+1 on the 3-9... The biggest reason in my mind is the mil adjustments that match the reticle. Where the 6x has M.O.A. adjustments.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 23:03
My vote goes to the 3-9.  You have a great variable for hunting in different terrain and cover.  And for target shooting, you have slightly higher power.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
BossHoss View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BossHoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2011 at 18:27
Thanks guys/gals, I was leaning towards the 3-9x, for most of the reasons stated.  I do hunt in some cover/woods in Missouri, and hope to find somewhere to hunt the my current state of Oklahoma, which is more prairie-like.  So the low/high power available would be better.    

3-9x it is....now for the bake saleSmile

Thanks!
08Cayenne View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08Cayenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2011 at 20:13
I have a 10x SS on my Loaded, like it a lot.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2011 at 20:34
Smith Enterprises and SADLAC both make good scope bases for M1a.  I would put the 3-9 on it but the 6x will work also.  I would rather have the variable personally the glass is way better and you have no idea what it means to have mil based clicks until you have a scope that does.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Utah View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2011 at 13:36
This photo is a M1A NM with the SS 3-9X42 and the ARMS mounts you mentioned. I did not use the low rings but I believe you could. The target was at 500 yards and is five shots.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2011 at 14:01
+1 on SADLAK scope mount.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2011 at 16:28
I have an ARMS 18 mount with WARNE maxima extra tall rings and it clears the right sight almost perfectly.  Now I have that rifle in a SAGE EBR stock so getting the right check weld is easy.  I ran that setup for a while and have since moved the SS 3-9 to a different rifle.  Not because it didn't work I just went a little different direction with the M1A in the EBR.  It worked great, and I recommend that optic for the M1A.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic