OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS 10x42 vs 16x42 for long range paper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graywolf.260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS 10x42 vs 16x42 for long range paper
    Posted: May/03/2011 at 17:26
I'd like to spend no more than $300 on a fixed power scope for a .243 for shooting targets at 600 yds, occasionally up to 1000 yds, and the SS's seem like the best options but I won't have an opportunity to compare them side by side before choosing. What are your opinions about the better choice between these two scopes (or the 20x for that matter) for this application? Low light isn't a consideration. Thanks.
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 18:01
I own a 16x and it has been my primary target scope for the last 5 years or so. As with any scope the higher the magnification the more the glass quality shows. The 10x will appear clearer than the 16 or the 20 especially on hot humid days. The grey out or hazy look will show up more. With that said I have not had trouble shooting with the 16 x a lot of my shooting is done in the upper 80's to high 90's in the Ohio River Vally (gets humid). There are days that I wish I could power down a little to clear the picture up. I shoot at from 300 to 550 most of the time and have no problems. 

For the money I think you will be hard pressed to find anything better. It is reliable and repeatable, which is more important when varying rang and the need to dial. The glass is good enough to get the job done and the mechanics will more than do it. If I was choosing for your ranges I would go the 16 over the 10, but that is me. I would prob stay away from the 20. Again that is my opinion.

Good luck all three will work. 
Gerald Baker
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 20:01

The reason why I posted this is your first line or two is exactly why I tried my first SWFA 16x, I got sick and tired of looking through the spotter so I increased my magnification just enough to make out the shoot-em see-um  targets before I took it out to the 1000yrd line.

This is a SWFA SS 16x, I have the old 10x as well and while the field of view is lots less with the 16x and it is not as seemingly bright, It does just fine.

I picked this scope because it very solid and repeatable.

The caliber is the only thing different but the .243 is one of the most underrated cartridges I personally think it should be our LEO Marksman cartridge of choice, It is flat shooting and is a heck of a punch...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - May/03/2011 at 20:40
No one
shaneinhisroom View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaneinhisroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 20:17
I think either will work well for you, but I'd actually opt for the 10x.  It's brighter than the 16x and can be used out to 600yd human sized target and manages mirage better than the 16x. GL!
graywolf.260 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graywolf.260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 00:32
Thanks for the feedback. The clarity of the 10x would be good but my main objective is shooting targets in the moa range at 600 or beyond. Seems like the 16x might be best for that. Nice looking rifle, 338...
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 08:17
I think the 16X would be good"er" for you than the 10X but the 10X is still goodBucky
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic