OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Last hole in the SWFA line

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Last hole in the SWFA line
    Posted: May/03/2011 at 12:01

The current SWFA scope lineup includes the new 1x4, the fixed powers in reg and HD glass, the super popular 3x9, and the newly announced 5x20.

As I see it, and this is just my personal opinion and wishful thinking (begging actually), there is one last hole in the SWFA SS scope lineup.  One more addition that could/would take the SS line towards completely covering the spectrum.

Now, I love my SS 3x9.  It's tough and reliable and just plain works great for my uses.  However, I long for something that's missing.  Just a little more magnification and illum.  I don't need Illum. but think it would be a nice option to have.

I have no interest or uses for a scope that has a 20 top end....... again, that's just me, you may feel different and that's fine.

Back to what I see as the last small remaining hole in an otherwise perfect lineup.  The creme' de la creme' - icing on the cake would be to finish up the year with plans for another tactical scope in the 2 - 2.5 range on the bottom, with a 4, 5, or 6 mag. range - topping out at 12 - 15.  Put a 42 - 44 mm obj. on it.  Throw in a great FFP mil-variant retcile in HD, with illum., ten mils per turn, and zero stop as an option.

Variations are abundant with the new 1x4.  This new model could include capped and uncapped turrets to cater to both sides of the isle.

So what you you fellow forum members?  Anyone else wishing for this last hole to be filled with a SS scope?

I have some time to wait, and can save the money.  The question then becomes, does SWFA want to tackle this and do they want my (our) money?  Pretty please SWFA. Smile

SWFA scopes already have the reputation of super solid build, reliability, outstanding warranty,  & superb pricing (because of no middleman).  If this gap gets filled in, SWFA completely competes with serveral different manufacturers and their respective scope lines - all with their SS lineup (IMHO).

Anyone else on board?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 12:20
I think their already working on it.

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 12:27

we all want the line completed, and it will be, in time we are just being patient as we know that they work their arses off getting stuff to us and it take time to get there  As far as being on board wanting that void filled, all of us are.

Edited by SVT_Tactical - May/03/2011 at 13:48
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 12:59
After I have the 5-20 SS in my hands and had a chance to use it, I'll have to think about a 2.5-14x50, or 44 SS. But if it came out now, what would I have to look forward to next year?
I can see a need for something in this power range, I just need something to put it on.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 13:01
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

we all want the line completed,

I hope the line is never completed, but keeps expanding every year.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 13:14
I totally agree.  I certainly wasn't trying to come across as bad mouthing Chris or SWFA.  Quite the contrary.  I am very excited to see this new 5x20 come out and do well.  I hope the intial evalutations say that this scope "hits it out of the park".

I also wasn't trying to point out the obvious to anyone.  If anything, I was hoping to use the excitement of this awesome new scope to keep open, polite, constructive desire on the front burner for a product that I want (I'm sure I'm not alone.)  That said, I guess if you don't have 17142 posts you should keep your mouth shut.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 13:17
If you go with a 5 or 6x mag range I bet  the cost goes up a ton.  A 3-12x or a 4-16x would make the most sense.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 13:21
I realize the price would go up.  It will be what it will be.  A guy can always dream, right?  If it's over 3, then Jon A. is right on, why not just go with the 5x20.

For my uses, I prefer more low end, but that's just me.

I'll go crawl back under my rock now.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 13:23
By all means let your voice be heard, how else will Chris know what we want, and pay no attention to the post whore.
Your idea is probably already in the developmental pipeline, and by the time it is announced I will have something to put it on.
I just think Chris moves a little slower than we want because he wants to make sure it's right, and we (I) think instant gratification is too slow.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 13:29
Originally posted by FireEMT5<div> </div>
<div>For my uses, I prefer more low end, but that's just me.</div>
<div> </div>
<div><br></div>[/QUOTE FireEMT5

For my uses, I prefer more low end, but that's just me.

[/QUOTE wrote:

I agree completely.  A 3-15x50 would be the cats meow for the .308 family IMO.  Then the 5-20 would cover the magnums.

I agree completely.  A 3-15x50 would be the cats meow for the .308 family IMO.  Then the 5-20 would cover the magnums. 

Biggest problem I am going to have is everytime they come out with new scopes I am going to have to have one or two, and then at some point that means I will have to buy new rifles to put them on.   
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 13:40
Supertool,

Great minds think alike.

I have my .22 for short range and plinking.  My AR for close and med. range.  An the last gun I want to buy is a .308 for med./long range for which this scope would be dead nuts perfect!

Luckily I don't suffer from wanting too many guns.  I want a few, which I want to set up the way I want to set them up, and then shoot the hell out of them.

Besides, I only want 1 more caliber to reload for.  One that is very common to buy ammo or components for.  The .308 fits this bill nicely. Smile

Edited by FireEMT5 - May/03/2011 at 13:46
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 15:36
There's nothing wrong with stating your desires. While I think the 5-20 is a great addition, I'd love a 3-15 option from SWFA. And, given that it might be easier to do the engineering from a 4X erector like the 5-20, I'd happily take a 3-12. It wouldn't even have to have the same amount of elevation - just enough to get a .308 out past 1000 yards. With two turns, no need for zero stop either.
Reaction time is a factor...
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 19:37
I'll take a 4-16 please with the same reticle as the new 5-20.... Thanks to Jon A for the great pics of the reticle. The pics Jon posted really brought that reticle to life
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 21:14
the 5-20 will go on my 300 WM as soon as they let me buy one.  I have the 3-9 on my 270.  Have the 1-4 on my AR.  I would love to have a 3-12 to go on my 22-250.  I like that new reticle design and would like to see it in a 3-12 as well.  

As ST said, the problem with them coming out with more is that I will have to have one.  Oh well, a hardship I will have to live with.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 22:25
Ive decided to keep my Remy 5R so today I ordered a McMillian A5 stock for it. I do not care much for the HS Precision that came with it..Anyhow I too am excited to see that the SS 5x20 is coming this way.Excellent  What a great scope for this style of rifle, even though I may not use it on 20x much, its nice to  have it when you need it. Most of my rifles are over scoped some, I prefer it that way for targets and things....I bought 2 Minox Scopes a couple Months ago that are 3x15x50. I like that wide mag range alot obviously, there is not much Rifle wise you cannot cover..They are great scopes too, but not near as heavy duty as the SS. Those newer SS scopes are built like damn tanks and have real nice glass too, Im not sure about the old style Super Snipers, Ive never had a desire to buy one...
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 00:14
I think there is a market for a scope in the 2 to max 2.5 on the low end that has minimum 12 or more if possible on the high end in a 42mm or 50 mm scope in a FFP with the new mil reticle and some with a hunting BDC reticle.  While the 3-9 is a long time traditional hunting optic I have to say that I notice a huge difference between 2.5 and 3x when I look through Trijicon Accupoint scopes.  I tend to feel like a 42mm objective looks about the right size on most hunting rifles.  I think for the scope to really stand out as a different more useful tool it has to start below 3x and exceed 10x, and if it cant there in no point in doing it.   I too would love to see a 2.5-12x42 illuminated SS in the future.  I really think a 4-16 is pointless if you have a 5-20x50 I just see no need to have both and I really like a 4-16 x42 scope but I like a 5-20x50 even better so I think  SWFA made the right choice. Personally I would rather have a 1.5-6x42 than a 1-4  scope but there are a number of those out there so no need to reinvent the wheel there.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 09:41
So it's going to be tough for SWFA to come up with a new SS after the 5-20x50. Maybe a 1-36x60 compact infrared mildot BDC donut reticleLoco
Lets give Chris some credit. He hasn't had a bad idea for scopes yet. I'm sure he is listening and weighing his options.
I like the 4-16x50 or 44 with a FFP mildot reticle, but I can't say I would rush to buy one to replace a 5-20x50. It just depends on the application.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 10:32
Since were dreaming here what I would really like is a 2-16 but I doubt that's in my budget..

Edited by biggreen747 - May/04/2011 at 10:36
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 14:02
All I have to say about all of these suggestions is..........Whistling

The fat lady is just warming up fellas.

Edited by Chris Farris - May/04/2011 at 15:05
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 14:53
Bandito
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic