OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need a suggestions??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirgarreth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a suggestions??
    Posted: May/02/2011 at 13:59
Hi there fellas. Iam new to this forum. Been lurking around a bit though. I am trying to do some research for a new scope. Budget is $300-$350.
Going to be mounted on a Remington 700 SPS in .308.
Uses:
Target practice to 100yds. and maybe some HOG hunting in Fl. Maybe out to 150yds max.
I would prefer variable and side focus, but I know in my price range, side focus probably wont make it. Illuminated reticle would be nice since hunting will be done at dawn or dusk. I have looked at Millet, Hawke, Falcon, SS, Bushnell, Leupold, Meuller, etc. I hear good. ABout to purchase then hear bad. I just cant find anything. I know budget is very small considering buying optics, but that is all i can for now.  
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 14:08
For the distances you are shooting, I would not worry to much about having a parallax adjustable scope.  Its just not going to make any difference.  Plus if you stay under 10x you it is not as much of a concern either. 

Scopes in the price range you listed are not going to have illumination that is worth a darn.  You could go with something like this.  http://swfa.com/Bushnell-3-9x40-Elite-Rifle-Scope-P48260.aspx  You charge the reticle with a flashlight and it glows for a while.  Plus is has a nice heavy reticle that will be good for low light. 

I would look into 3-9x scopes from Bushnell elite, Vortex Viper, Sightron S2.  I have scopes from all three of those brands and have been very happy with them. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 14:15
These are great for the price and would work well with what your doing

Even though it doesnt have the side focus I think the 2-7 viper with C3 would work good for hog hunting
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 14:16
Only problem with the 2-7x viper is the reticle is real thin.  So for real low light hog hunting it might not be the best choice.  I just got my 2-7x Viper with C3 today, looks to be a dandy scope though.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 14:19
Good info ST, i had thought all along the C3 was bold enough for low light.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 14:24
Dont forget to check

I found this there, it kinda fits your bill except side focus.

sirgarreth View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirgarreth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 15:14
Would a fixed scope work better? I used a fixed scope once, 4x32. Was Ok, but hard to see target at 100yds. Maybe a SS 10X32. I know, not many features of what i wanted, but for the budget I know i cant ask for much!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 15:17
I think the 6X SS woudl be a better fit
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 22:36
Welcome to the OT!

+1 on the SS6x for under 200yds
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic