OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Primer pocket dimensions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Primer pocket dimensions
    Posted: May/02/2011 at 11:25
I need the demensions or at least the depth of both large and small rifle primer pockets.

I just got both small and large primer pocket uniformers. I tried the large primer pocket uniformer without adjustment, on an unfired case and it cut almost 2 hundredths of an inch deeper than the height of a new Remington BR primer. A primer should seat .002-.004 below the face of the case head, and the way I see it, this uniformer needs to be adjusted, but I need the correct depth before I ruin a bunch of brass.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Gerry Atric View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 11:45
 I have a chart somewhere with primer pocket dimensions, all I can find now on my computer is a chart with primer dimensions and BR primers is not included. Will have a look tomorrow at the computer at work.    

Gerry Atric
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 11:54
Found this on the internet:

I´ll have a look at the computer at work anyway......

Gerry Atric
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 12:22
Thanks for the link G.A..
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 23:32
Sorry BeltFed, didn´t find the chart on my computer at work either.....

Gerry Atric
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 08:52
That's ok GA.
I took the info from the link and checked the primer pocket that I had uniformed and it met the spec.s.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 10:13
Here's an interesting article with some tests done on various brands. It also has dimensions:
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/04/primers-and-pressure-analysis-by-james-calhoon/
Reaction time is a factor...
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 11:05
Thanks Jon
That was also one of the sites I lost when my pooter got sick.
 Now I got it back.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic