OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Scope for .22LR whisper rifle.  Sort thru the BS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for .22LR whisper rifle. Sort thru the BS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for .22LR whisper rifle. Sort thru the BS
    Posted: May/01/2011 at 23:10
New here and been reading along but thought I would just start a thread.  I own a .22LR whisper rifle that always always runs subsonic ammo.  Due to this, my effecting range is usually 100yds or less but occasionally switch to supersonic and run out to 200yds.  Obviously a .22LR heavy gun does not present much shock load to a scope. 

I have been using an old Bushnell 3-9 32mm but want to move up.  Want at prefer adjustable magn.  6-12 would be fine.  Really need to stay with 50mm or less due to some other equipment that is mounted as well as a 1" tube unless the 30mm is a substantial upgrade. 

Also really want illum recticle and rather prefer a tactical recticle with the multiple hash marks rather than mil dots but seems that a real hard to find.  I have seen a BUNCH of names out there but many are getting bad reviews here.  My brother just bought in Osprey for a similar build but no shots fires just yet and I think it was over priced for what it was. 

I would prefer side focus, reasonably clear optics for a 22 (no 1000yd shots), higher magn is better for spotting apps, range finding would be a plus.  I see plenty of "cute" scopes that seem to have all the features but are probably just China junk which is typical.  If I get a brand or scope to find, I can just watch for a good deal on a used one.  I would rather get a used quality piece than new junk. 

Just FYI, I want to hold 1" groups at 100yds and can do that now but want more magn and tact recticle. 
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2011 at 23:17
Welcome to the OT!

How much are you willing to spend?Do you have a physical size & weight restriction?Why would you want Illumination for a .22lr ?
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
fastline View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2011 at 23:47
illum for low light conditions where my existing scope has been problematic. 

Budget is still open.  I am not yet sure how much it will take to cover my request as of yet.  When I search egay, I find Berska, BSA, NCstar, ZOS, etc.  I am not sure if they are all on the same play field or what I should be shopping for. 

I do not have a weight concern but issue is that I use a scope tube mounted laser and flashlight that will not clear any more than a 50mm scope and that is pushing it.  I may still have to change some things and try to do something different there.  I am finding that the 30mm tube is taking over and the 25mm tube is out.  If the scope comes with rings, that is probably not much of an issue but my laser system will need rethought. 
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 01:21
I know this does not answer your post but I will share what scope I have put on my suppressed .22lr and why.  (I am not familiar with the .22lr whisper)

I shoot this rifle, base, scope combination from 50-500 yards.

It is a SS 10X scope that has served me well.  It is a Mil-dot.  http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Scopes-C1719.aspx

I am very satisfied with it.

I shoot 38, 50, 55, and 60gr sub-sonics I actually like the 55 and the 60gr the best.

I personally do not think I would want any other scope this does everything I could ever ask It is adjustable all the way down to 10m...

No one
Rothstein1987 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 01:55
500 yrd 10 22??? What kind of groups is that then?
Mausers forever

That was great but can you do it again??
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 07:38
If you don't want a fixed power,take a look at the SWFA SS 3-9 which of couse is the power you use but with much better glass & mechanics.Right now SWFA has a great sale going on both the 10X & 3-9 you will not be sorry buying either of these scopes!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
fastline View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 10:09
Lapuaslap, the "whisper" is just a term I use to describe my suppressed subsonic builds.  I am curious to learn more about your gun.  I was going to switch to a 1:9 twist barrel and run the 60gr but hearing really poor accuracy issues with them.  I was hoping to find a 50-55gr out there but no idea where you would find your 55gr. 

The issue is that if I run a 1:9 barrel, that could be very problematic if I want to switch back to supersonic 38gr ammo.  At this time, I am still with my 1:16, 18" bull barrel and trying to decide if a setup for 60gr will be a mistake.  I think I would be happy with a 50gr of someone made one.  That would be classified as a heavy but I still want the MV at 1000f/s and the SSS is lucky to hit 900f/s so ballistics are not all smiles. 

Stickbow, thanks for the reference on scopes.  I will look those up.  I will admit that I am trying to get a little more magnification only so I can zoom in for spotting at times.  12x is a minimum I am trying to hold but also need to pull back to 4-6x for a large number of close range shots. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 13:08
The Super Sniper scopes will be coming out with a 5-20x50 mm side focus FFP Mil Mil scope that would be ideal for what you are asking but I dont know your price range.  The thing about the entire Super Sniper line is that  the scopes do have lots of internal adjustment which you need to correct for the trajectory of sub sonic .22 ammo.  Other than that you can look at Vortex Viper PST and Sightron S3 line of scopes.  If you could live with a fixed 16x the Sightron S3 has 150moa of internal adjustment.  If you want to stay with a one inch tube I would consider a Leupold FX3 6x42 competition target scope.   Most one inch tube scopes dont have much internal adjustment.   Trijicon makes a 5-20x50 accupoint which is an illuminated scope using tritium + fiber optic but it has only 50 moa of internal adjustment.   The bigest bargain is the old style 6x or 10x or 16x or 20x in the Super Sniper line of scopes but the new models like the 3-9 are much better glass and the 5-20 has not been released yet but should be this year.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 16:19
Originally posted by fastline fastline wrote:

Lapuaslap, the "whisper" is just a term I use to describe my suppressed subsonic builds.  I am curious to learn more about your gun.  I was going to switch to a 1:9 twist barrel and run the 60gr but hearing really poor accuracy issues with them.  I was hoping to find a 50-55gr out there but no idea where you would find your 55gr. 

The issue is that if I run a 1:9 barrel, that could be very problematic if I want to switch back to supersonic 38gr ammo.  At this time, I am still with my 1:16, 18" bull barrel and trying to decide if a setup for 60gr will be a mistake.  I think I would be happy with a 50gr of someone made one.  That would be classified as a heavy but I still want the MV at 1000f/s and the SSS is lucky to hit 900f/s so ballistics are not all smiles. 

Stickbow, thanks for the reference on scopes.  I will look those up.  I will admit that I am trying to get a little more magnification only so I can zoom in for spotting at times.  12x is a minimum I am trying to hold but also need to pull back to 4-6x for a large number of close range shots. 

I have never run it in a stability calculator but I shoot the same barrel for the 38, 40, 50, 55, 60, and 65gr .22lr, the specialty 55 and 65 are I believe contract only, white box, I thought maybe Geco or Dynamit Nobel they are like the BAT rounds in 55 or 65 I have seen them few and far between, they were frankly meant for assassinations and were never to hit the open market is my understanding, I have also seen white label 48gr but do not know the manufacture of them was told Israeli but who knows, they have a blue tip bullet (painted nothing special just 48gr)... 

Aguila the same people who make the 60 are smelly and super dirty but are fairly accurate, I have not had the horrible accuracy problems others have had.

Eley and S&K and Lapua are my personal favorite but they favor the lighter bullet ( believe wolf is in the same lineup), CCI is ok,  Ficcochi, is decent, Winchester is horrible, Federal is even worse. 

I am happy with anything above 850FPS out of the 60Gr+,

The Eley and Lapua run 1015-1035 which is about as tight as I have found...
The Eley sport will crack every once in awhile which is why they are cheaper in my opinion they deviate from 1050-1100+...

I did get a decent batch or LOT of some early 60gr SSS that are all around 920-940 which is superbly accurate for the manufacturing of these...

Someone asked group size at 500yrds, I am not a group guy not that I can't shoot its just that doesn't make sense to me.  If I tried to print I would say 7's and in.

I can hit a clay 2/3 attempts without to much wind.  Once I am dialed In, I have yet to hit a clay 1st shot attempt but at that distance with that round I do not expect to... 9/10 first shot attempts are low and right as is the twist and usually the wind.

The gear above is very simple, standard receiver, bolt, wolf-spring, fajen stock, Vol Barrel 1:8, reworked standard trigger, extended mag release, changed bolt buffer(because of clanging noise, semi smoothed all the parts...30/40MOA rail, SWFA Scope, SWFA/Burris Rings EXTREME (don't remember the difference)...  and a well exercised trigger finger.  I can focus down to 50ft if I want to but I might as well throw a rock at that distance...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - May/02/2011 at 16:25
No one
fastline View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 20:07
Are you running any supersonics from that build?  That at least makes me feel better about a 1:9 barrel but I would love to find better ammo.  I have even considered mfg of better ammo but doubt it would be cost effective.  We are a mfgr of other equipment here but NOT ammo.  I could probably make the machines to make the stuff but would it really be worth it??  lol
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 20:29
I have without any issues.
No one
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 23:28

Budget is still open.  I am not yet sure how much it will take to cover my request as of yet.  When I search egay, I find Berska, BSA, NCstar, ZOS, etc.  I am not sure if they are all on the same play field or what I should be shopping for. 

The SS scopes are all several steps above these you listed. And better glass will allow you to see better than more magnification with poorer glass. I use a Leupold 3-9 EFR at 100yds and sometimes out to 200yds and have no problem seeing my target. And the SS scopes I think have even better glass.
fastline View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 00:02
Wow, that is actually some great info.  I thought they were just another junk paintball scope. 

thanks so much for the info
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 07:18

Wow, that is actually some great info.  I thought they were just another junk paintball scope. 

thanks so much for the info
Wanna know where you went wrong?Wink
fastline View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 09:03
It looks like the jackasses that advertise the junk scopes like to use the key word in the title?  Looks like the good scopes are coming from SWFA? 

I do notice that they are not exactly what I would prefer and would like to have a few other lines to at least consider. 

I realize most here only condone high quality optics but have to ask about Counter Sniper and Seals Optics.  Both seem to cover my list of requirements to a T and priced decent IF they any good but they may just be another cheapo China scope with an inflated price tag. 

I do agree though that the SS scopes do look like a bargain for what they are. 
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 09:07
use the search function and put in counter sniper...... youd be better off glueing some pieces of glass on an empty paper towel roll and drawing a crosshair on it with a sharpie
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 10:35
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

use the search function and put in counter sniper...... youd be better off glueing some pieces of glass on an empty paper towel roll and drawing a crosshair on it with a sharpie

I think that would be an upgrade.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic