OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA Super Sniper 5-20X50HD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2014 at 13:13
is that the steiner G3..told its better optically than the HD5..i liked the 3-15x56 but was put off as it has no side..P/A..the 4-20x50..looks nice Big Smile
verminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2014 at 10:53

the guy's now done the test with  the bushy and new weaver..and says the weaver was better with both set on 21 mag.. he also compared the new weaver to his 3000D  kahles  while he was at it.. and could not see any difference between the  two both set on the 21 magExcellent  

Edited by verminator - October/18/2014 at 02:32
Iron Worker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iron Worker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2014 at 20:54
Another guy on Snipers hide said the opposite. Judging optics is a subjective thing. Guy your quoting is in his 60s and wears glasses. I'm in my 50s and also wear glasses. I can easily tell the difference between my Weaver 3x15x50mm which I love that's on my AR-15 coyote rifle vs my SWFA  SS 5x20x50MM  . SWFA is significantly better.  Now I think my Weaver Tactical is 1 small step better than my Sightron S3  and my S3 is a small step above my 12 14 year old Bushnell 6x24x40MM . Just my 2 cents .  
Truth isn't relative,its absoulute and objective
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2014 at 03:29
yep agreed Judging optics is a subjective thing..ia'm bang on 60 and wear glasses..and just aqquired a steiner military 3-12x56...also..have the weaver tac 3-15 +xotic 4-16 with these two I did a direct comparison to the steiner..I would say the weaver is a very small step above the xotic both set on 15mag the steiner is two small steps above them both optically..but sadly I have to wear glasses with the steiner not enough dioptre adjustment..Shocked
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iron Worker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2014 at 11:56
Is that XOTIC scope still available ,don't see it on SWFA rifle scope page ?

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2014 at 17:57
nope not been around for a long time got mine off the bay... was as new never been mounted..excellent scopeBig Smile
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2014 at 21:27
if you like the looks of the xotic check out the SS 3-15, very similar
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iron Worker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2014 at 21:33
I have the SS 5x20  and the Weaver 3x15 .  
hatsan125sniperuser View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatsan125sniperuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2014 at 23:28
Just another great reason to have a zoom  lens that lets you start off with a wide field of view . http://youtu.be/bkl4hebtNV8
Veritas_Vincit View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veritas_Vincit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2014 at 22:57
New member here, with a question about the illumination on a SS HD 5-20x50.  I just got one and the illumination is not what I expected, based on other illuminated scopes I have seen so far.  The illumination appears to be offset from the reticle markings, slightly below and to the right.  They are like an shadow behind and offset from the features which show black in front of the illuminated features.

It was difficult to capture in a picture with my limited skills and equipment, but here are some pics I was able to take.  I know it's probably hard to tell with these poor pics, but if you can tell does this look right?

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatsan125sniperuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2014 at 15:20
Does this scope have different light intensity's. May be you have it set on full power instead of just being lit up enough to  help you see the cross hairs . 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veritas_Vincit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2014 at 18:26
Thanks for the comment. I do have the brightness turned up, including in many of those pics. It doesn't seem right. I will likely be sending it back.
Cactus Chip View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cactus Chip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2014 at 18:39
I have had one of these scopes since they came out. The illumination is night useable only. Take it outside at night, let your eyes adjust to the darkness, then look through it and adjust the intensity to illuminate the center of the crosshairs.   I hope that helps.
Without integrity you have nothing
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veritas_Vincit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2014 at 19:17
Originally posted by Cactus Chip Cactus Chip wrote:

I have had one of these scopes since they came out. The illumination is night useable only. Take it outside at night, let your eyes adjust to the darkness, then look through it and adjust the intensity to illuminate the center of the crosshairs.   I hope that helps.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "illuminate the center of the crosshairs?"  Are you saying only the center dot should be light, or the crosshairs lines themselves should be lit?  What I see when I follow your suggestion is the same image as I do with it's on turned up in the daytime, as shown in the pics.  The illumination is behind, below, and to the right of the reticle features.  Is that how yours looks?  Can you post a pic?

Why would the illumination not be centered directly behind the black features, either as a consistent outline that surrounds them evenly on all sides, or even better with the black features themselves lighting up (the way my illuminated Burris, Leatherwood and UTG ones all do)?  On all of those, the black is replaced by illumination.  It's not a outline type of situation like this, and the outline on the SWFA scope isn't even centered on the black.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cactus Chip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2014 at 19:28
Only the center dot should be illuminated. Make sure you are in a dark area and your eyes have adjusted to the dark. I do not have enough posts to be able to show you a picture. I find that I have to open both scope covers to see the dot correctly and keep the illumination setting only high enough for the center dot. That is when it works the best for night hunting cohorts.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veritas_Vincit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2014 at 20:00
Originally posted by Cactus Chip Cactus Chip wrote:

Only the center dot should be illuminated. Make sure you are in a dark area and your eyes have adjusted to the dark. I do not have enough posts to be able to show you a picture. I find that I have to open both scope covers to see the dot correctly and keep the illumination setting only high enough for the center dot. That is when it works the best for night hunting cohorts.
I appreciate the feedback.

It sounds like the illumination behind the mil-quads is supposed to be hidden, and not light up at all?  The outline effect on the bottom right of the mil-quad diamonds light up almost as bright as the center dot does, and more so on vertically on the elevation crosshair than across the windage one.  

There is not a lot of difference in the brightness between the center dot and the rest of it that's lighting up.  With my eyes adjusted to the dark, when I turn the brightness down to where the mil-quad diamonds aren't lighting up hardly at all, the center post is super dim at that level.  For example at level 5, I can barely make out the center dot and the vertical diamonds are almost as bright, or at least the bottom right edges of the bottom right side and the top left edges.

When you turn up the brightness on yours so that it's "too high" and more than just the center dot are illuminated, do the mil-quad diamonds light up "offset" like in my pictures?  That offset appearance specifically to me seems like something is wrong, but as I mentioned this one is the only one I've looked through.

It's interesting this forum software doesn't seem to allow you to edit your posts.  Is that right, or am I missing where that's possible?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cactus Chip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2014 at 20:30
When I turn up the intensity too high it seems "blurred" for lack of a better word.   How many diamonds are illuminated depend on how high the illum knob is turned up. I also find that I change the intensity depending on what I have the magnification set at.   I tend to use the illumination well after sundown and usually at around 8-10x. I very rarely post on forums so I usually don't have much to edit. I tend to hide in the background. My other scopes are daylight visible and are used for 3gun so are quite different.     
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatsan125sniperuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2014 at 20:41
Veritas  scroll to the top of the page and in the right hand corner you will see Page  and some numbers  click on 1 It will take you to the first page ,once your there scroll down to the 20th picture. There are 3 pictures that show the red dot .
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veritas_Vincit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2014 at 21:25
Originally posted by hatsan125sniperuser hatsan125sniperuser wrote:

Veritas  scroll to the top of the page and in the right hand corner you will see Page  and some numbers  click on 1 It will take you to the first page ,once your there scroll down to the 20th picture. There are 3 pictures that show the red dot .

Originally posted by Jon A Jon A wrote:

Originally posted by Veritas_Vincit Veritas_Vincit wrote:

Thanks hatsan125sniperuser.  I can't say mine looks quite like that to me.  I don't know what brightness level is depicted in that pic, but if I make my center dot about that bright, and aim the scope at something dark similar to that pic, I get illumination light shadowing the diamonds on the bottom right.  I can't see much of any of that in the OP's pictures.

Those pics do a great job of showing what is supposed to light up.  If it's just the center dot, then I think I shouldn't see the shadowing effect behind the diamonds.  But maybe it's totally normal.  

I'll have a coworker who has more experience with these things than I do take a look.  

I'm not trying to be nitpicky about a non-problem, but as soon as I saw the illumination I thought it looked odd.  If there's to be bleeding over/washing out/flaring due to having the brightness turned too high, I would just expect it to be even and not offset like that.  I realize the light source is off to one side, and maybe this is a parallax issue related to that (which may or may not mean there is something wrong).
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatsan125sniperuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2014 at 21:47
When you find out will you post here again . I'm thinking about this scope and would like to know what you find out .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic