OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Walmart to sell guns again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Walmart to sell guns again
    Posted: April/29/2011 at 12:56

Wal-Mart (WMT) may be the world's biggest retailer, but that doesn't mean it has given up on growing. From planned grocery deliveries to inner-city residents to its recent purchase of a social-media company, there always seems to be something new in store.

The latest news, according to The Wall Street Journal, is that Wal-Mart will reload gun sales by cutting back on electronics floor space to make room for rifles, shotguns and ammunition at hundreds of U.S. stores.

But unlike previous failed efforts and some recent quirky initiatives, the return of guns and ammo is a return to Wal-Mart's roots -- something the company may sorely need.

Before you go making gun sales at Wal-Mart a political issue, remember that the bottom line is always the bottom line for the King of Retail. And that bottom line hasn't been very impressive lately. The company's stock is down slightly over the past 12 months, while the S&P 500 has tacked on 11%. This is no surprise, given seven straight quarters of same-store-sales declines in the U.S.

Wal-Mart stopped selling guns and ammo at most of its U.S. stores five years ago but is now stocking up on firearms and nearly half of its 3,600 U.S. locations. Spin doctors at the corporation claim this is part of a larger focus on "heritage categories" -- fishing rods and bolts of sewing fabric that were cut out of aisles as the discounter tried to appear more upscale.

Upscale obviously didn't work. A few of years ago, Wal-Mart eliminated thousands of items to de-clutter its stores, but it suffered more customer complaints than anything else. In September, managers made an about-face and began restocking the shelves as Wal-Mart added thousands of new products. And just a few weeks ago, it announced an ad campaign in which Wal-Mart reasserts its low-price roots. That, essentially, leaves the company right back where it started a few years ago.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2011 at 13:44
Excellent  let see how it works.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2011 at 13:52
Back from lunch, I see.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2011 at 14:02
My local Wally World has some of the best ammo prices in the area for the common stuff (.22lr, 9mm, 40s&w, 45acp, etc.), but dropped guns when they added the grocery a year ago.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2011 at 14:16
Wink
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2011 at 15:07
The local joint here never quit gun sales 100%, but the stuff they had was crap anyway. I'd expect the local (small) retailers won't welcome this news. Makes no difference to me...I don't buy guns at WallyWorld anyway. Loco
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2011 at 15:38
I haven't bought guns from Wally World either, but with the guns comes all the other hunter related merchandise, which is good.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2011 at 15:51
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

The local joint here never quit gun sales 100%, but the stuff they had was crap anyway. I'd expect the local (small) retailers won't welcome this news. Makes no difference to me...I don't buy guns at WallyWorld anyway. Loco

if i'm not mistaken the weatherby vanguard (the original one) was made, marketed and sold specifically for wal-mart.  so not all of the stuff they sell is crap.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2011 at 16:35
Hard to believe they would stock anything actually made in AMERICA. Wal-Mart is da devil. Cencored
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2011 at 17:34
The lefties are going to go CRAZY  ExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellent

Roll on Floor Laughing.

Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2011 at 19:04
i noticed for the first time that the wal mart closest to me finally got a display case for rifles, they didnt even put ammo behind a counter. now its locked up.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2011 at 20:08
The wally here, where my wife is a manager never quit selling guns either..
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2011 at 20:29
I bought my Savage from Wally world... It was the only place with in a hundred miles that what I wanted. H@ll my wally world even sells reloading components!Bandito
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2011 at 20:54
They never stopped selling guns and ammo in the stores in Montana.  
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2011 at 21:13
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2011 at 08:02
I have bought bullets at Wally World............but I generally don't go in that store because I don't like waiting in lines at cash registers.........

this is more to my liking............

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2011 at 12:51
The Walmart here in Soddy Daisy has always sold guns and usually has a decent supply of ammo.  The can also order guns for you, they have a catalog to choose from.  I bought my first rifle, a Savage 110 in 270 from them in 1995 and it has served me well.  The selection in the usually very budget minded, but the catalog has some nicer items.  I usually can get a better deal from a few of the local gun shops, but I do buy ammo when they have 45 or 9mm in stock. 
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2011 at 13:21
We have 6 Wallys in 15 miles and they all stopped selling them.  We had 1 sell them up until maybe 1 year ago.

Now they hardly have 2 racks of ammo and accessories.  Our Ammo Case is what they used to sell the Scopes out of.

Only 1 of the 6 knows anything about getting them back...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - April/30/2011 at 13:22
No one
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2011 at 20:47
Yeah..not allot of actual product knowledge there
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 05:28
A Wal-Mart mgr told me some time ago that the 'official- for the public' reason that they stopped selling guns in the first place was because of possible ATF and liability issues from sales to the wrong people by under-trained staff. He went on to say that the real reason was from edicts of the lib elites at the top... reports about their attempts to make WM more upscale are correct, the $billions weren't enough- they wanted to impress their friends with their attempts to upgrade the proles.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic