OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

USMC Awards Leupold Contract

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USMC Awards Leupold Contract
    Posted: April/28/2011 at 08:17
USMC Awards Contract to Leupold® Tactical for Mark 8™ CQBSS™ Riflescopes

BEAVERTON, Ore. - Leupold's® Tactical Optics Division has won a contract with the United States Marine Corps (USMC) to supply 728 Mark 8™ 1.1-8x24mm CQBSS™ riflescopes for use with M2 heavy machine guns and MK19 grenade machine guns. The sight will carry the M521 designation.

Ordered to meet the need of Afghanistan-based Marine units for a Heavy Day Optic, the Mark 8 CQBSS scopes will be employed to support combat operations. A key feature of the scope is Leupold's new Marine-Tactical Milling Reticle (M-TMR™), which is designed to allow successful range estimation and target engagement with more flexibility than generally possible with other reticle styles. The M-TMR's "staircased" configuration preserves the instinctive-fire capabilities on low magnification while allowing precise range estimation at any power setting.

"The Marine Corps' innovative employment of this new technology will bring enhanced lethality to two combat-proven systems, the M2 and MK19 heavy machine guns," said Kevin Trepa, vice president of Leupold's Tactical Division. "We will continue working hard to deliver the new tools that our warfighters need to succeed on the battlefield."

The Mark 8 CQBSS has a state-of-the-art lens system providing operators with the capability of an 8-power precision riflescope in one rugged, field-proven unit. The 34mm maintube features a fully checkered ocular bell for making quick magnification adjustments even while wearing gloves.

A front focal plane reticle, the M-TMR is accurate at all magnification settings. Eight illumination settings allow for optimum contrast with or without night vision. An off position between each intensity setting makes returning to the preferred setting nearly immediate.

In addition, the Mark 8 CQBSS has Auto-Locking Pinch and Turn turrets with 0.10 mil clicks that are extremely easy to adjust, yet eliminate accidental adjustment in the field. Leupold's Index Matched Lens System® with DiamondCoat 2™ helps enhance optical performance by providing increased light transmission and scratch resistance that exceeds mil-specs.

Mark 8 CQBSS riflescopes have a matte black finish and are filled with an argon/krypton gas blend, making them second-generation waterproof, fog proof and shock proof. Flip-open lens covers and a 2.5" sun shade are standard issue.

Leupold Tactical Optics undergo arduous environmental and impact testing to ensure they meet the highest quality standards for durability and dependability. Leupold Tactical Optics are backed by the company's long history of customer-satisfaction warranties. For warranty information on specific products, call 1-800-LEUPOLD (Option 4) or e-mail tacticaloptics@leupold.com. For additional product information, go to www.leupold.com.

Supported by a team of dedicated engineers, the Leupold Tactical Optics staff works with American warfighters, law enforcement personnel, and competitive shooters to design and build products that meet their needs. Currently, more long-range Leupold Tactical Optics are in service with the U.S. military than any other brand.

Leupold & Stevens, Inc., the preeminent American-owned and -operated optics company, employs more than 700 people in its state-of-the-art facility near Beaverton, Ore., where Mark 4® and Golden Ring® optics are designed, machined and assembled. Leupold & Stevens, Inc. is a fifth-generation, family owned company. The product line includes rifle, handgun and spotting scopes; binoculars; rangefinders; trail cameras; flashlights; mounting systems; and optical tools and accessories.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2011 at 08:18
Get yours before the USMC gets theirs......they're only $3,999.95

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2011 at 08:19
Excellent  Glad to see it to go an american made company (kinda)
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2011 at 08:19
$4K  Shocked
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2011 at 09:05
Ouch!!!!
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2011 at 09:08
Typical.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2011 at 09:56
That's sad. I'm sure the scopes will be moderately functional, but there's no way they can be worth $1400 more than a Schmidt & Bender or Premier. I hate to say this, but I'd rather the contract even go to S&B than see the American taxpayer gouged like this. I imagine the contract unit price is considerably less, but I think the competition would have likewise given a volume discount. So even if it's a drop in the defense spending bucket, there's $500,000 to a $1,000,000 sent down the rathole and a reward to one of the least innovative companies in the industry.
Reaction time is a factor...
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2011 at 10:12
Its actually an engineering marvel and quite innovative.  Before the USMC release the RFQ on the CQBSS we spoke with them on a consultant level.  Nothing existed at the time to come remotely close to what they wanted and at the time it seemed very far fetched that something would be able to be built to meet their request.

Leupold did not set out to gouge the military/tax payers and they are not.  They built the scope the USMC wanted to their specs with no compromises and that is what it cost to do it successfully.  This scope was not built to be marketed to civilians although they have made it available.  We've sold quite a few and the people that received them are glad to have them.

This scope would have never been designed and built if it were not for the USMC laying out the requirements for the ultimate dream scope to act in a CQBSS role for some of our most elite special forces.

It beat the Schmidt because it is better.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2011 at 10:17
You know better than I do Chris. I stand corrected.
Reaction time is a factor...
Fredfrankbob View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredfrankbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2011 at 11:37

Just read up on this, not sure if it's true, but they say this was the only scope provided in time that met all of the criteria, and the price to develop this was probably significant which would explain some of the price tag.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2011 at 15:10
Goods always end up being several times more expensive than they normally would be when companies are dealing with the government and the great uncertainty, hassles, and inefficiencies inherent with complying with government contracts. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
topbrass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topbrass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2011 at 16:40
Everything costs more when dealing with the USG, regulatory compliance alone is probably a large part of that cost. 

Hell, look how much it has cost to just give money away! Loco 
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2011 at 16:48
The RFQ was very detailed and specific in regards to the specifications with very little and in some cases no variance from Optimum to the Tolerance level.  Very new ground was broke while making this scope, not only by Leupold but also Premier and S&B.

Not even factoring in the engineering cost, the cost of production has to be extremely high as assembling this master piece cannot be an easy task. 

I think the nut of the cost is making it meet the environmental requirements, made me cringe just reading them thinking what our war fighters must endure.  Making one of the most advanced optical systems ever produced that can also survive the mil spec requirements that this unit had to pass had to be a monumental achievement for Leupold.  Kudos to them.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2011 at 17:09
I'd love to see Trijicon knock it out of the park.  With the same specs...

It's not that I don't like Leupold...

...it's just that I don't like Leupold...

I don't care what the bid Price is...

I think everything they manufacture is overpriced, I think the same about Burris as well.

HAASSS or HASS or HALLT or HALT testing I forget which one but Trijicon used to be the only manufacture that could pass 99.5%...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - April/28/2011 at 17:12
No one
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2011 at 18:16
While I am still a Leupold fan and still own several of their Mk4 scopes the thing I really dont get is why anyone would want a 24mm objective at any power over about 4x better 3.5x.  I tend to think that a 42mm to 50 mm is about ideal at least for me.  I also see no real value struggling to get below 1.5x I mean really how often will it be used there anyway,  and to me a top end of 6x to 8x might be OK but around 12x to 16x would seem to be far more desirable.  Something in a 2-12x42 would make way more sense to me especially with the range that an M2 has.  So my impression is not enough on the top end unnecessarily low on the bottom end and way too small of an objective.  I guess I really need to see one and understand what they are thinking.  I thought the 6x42 Trijicon ACOG made a dandy scope for the M2 but Im really a 6x42 type of shooter I want the optics bright in low light with enough power to get out several hundred yards and I feel like I can get onto something pretty darn close  pretty darn fast with a 6x scope.   The guns mentioned are both vehicle mounted platforms so why not a video based scope and a joy stick  remote control for the gun-- play and  spray from the convenience of your armored vehicle. It just boggles the mind why we would want anything but a video based system on a vehicle. If the enemy is in range -- so are you.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2011 at 20:27
Why am I thinking the ACOG has a 48 or 50 for objective???  It is huge.

This little info on this site was pretty funny, to me at least.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/04/19/leupold-supplying-marines-with-heavy-mg-scopes/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/tag/mk19/

GOOD SELLING ON LEUPOLD THOUGH CHRIS...

You are a good advocate for them.

I just have a tainted view since I used them in the Sand.

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - April/28/2011 at 20:43
No one
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2011 at 20:33
For the weapon systems they say these optics are for I don't get it myself.  I will say a 1.1 to 8x magnification range is impressive.  Im sure the reticle is designed for the specific applications as mentioned but If I was going to mount optics on a Mark 19 I would go a different route.  Im glad the contract stayed in the US, but I have also been dissapointed with Leupold over the past few years.  I think they are learning form some mistakes, the tactical division is digging themselves out at least.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2011 at 20:56
Looks like they gave them a deal...

Rough cost for 728 Optics is only $3,339.42 per scope for a little over $2,431,098.72.
No one
topbrass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topbrass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2011 at 21:00

What reticle does the military get?  Is it the same for the civilian version?

Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2011 at 21:21
No one
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic