OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Competitive rimfire: leupold, sightron, ss

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Competitive rimfire: leupold, sightron, ss
    Posted: April/26/2011 at 15:51
ok I have several questions any they are all sorta related.
I just moved to new area, new job, gettn married .. etc etc.   anyway They have a gun club in the area. They have matches there, I dunno if they are NRA, state, local, or just between members. It is a nice place with the works 1000, 22, skeet, pistol, action . plinking, indoor.  Anyway I am gonna try to get into it, if I can, you have to be sponsored to join.   I have never shot in competition and know pretty little about it.
#1 Anyway if i can join i would like to eventually shoot 22 smallbore.(always wanted too shoot competetively) Although looking around online. I found the NRA small bore rules.  It list  several different class. THE RIFLE, ANY RIFLE, and LIGHT RIFLE. just so I dont look like an idiot if i join and dont know what the differnence is. So can someone explain to me which i would need to be in? I would like to use my factory savage mark II with a scope, shooting whatever, prone, kneeling, standing. i just want to get into the sport.
#2 if I did i thought about  different scopes. MY savage has  a SS10x on it. its good. But would a Leupold fx3 12x with AO and target knobs or Sightron SII big sky 12x AO target knobs be better? (or am i just looking at scopes all wrong for small bore) Reason i would consider upgrading is better glass,  same or better tracking, AO  I think is more precise for the parallax for me to work.
#3 while i been looking at sightron scopes for this idea,,  i noticed they have 2 different types of dots,  on some of there target scopes. one is the "Dot" the other is "silhouette dot", but they show the same picture for both what is the difference?

forgive me for my ignorance
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2011 at 20:21
Im not sure I even have all the answers to your questions.  Guys that shoot rimfire competetively use some very specialized Anschultz rifles that look like space guns.
Like you say there are different classes though and some allow optics some dont. Im thinking that the guys using scopes are using fixed 6x42 Leupold VX3 competition hunter in one of the classes that limits
magnification to 6x.  I think there are open classes that allow higher power and often those are your 36x Competition Leupolds.  You really need to go talk to the boys who are doing what you want to do and ask them about the rules and what equipment they use. I think you could use a 6x42 Super Sniper instead of the Leupold if you wanted but I suspect that at 50 yds you  might want the 1/8 moa clicks of the FX3.  In any case the place to start is by talking to the guys who are there as you mentioned you will need one of them to sponsor you anyway.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2011 at 20:45
Yea thanks for being honest. I didnt know if was just asking a stupid question or not. But I figured cant hurt to ask. Someday when I get a chance I need to go over there and see if i can find someway to get in the door. Thanks for the advice
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2011 at 21:06
Stork, sounds like a lot of fun. Congrats on all the changes in your situation of recent, sounds like you're going the right direction man.

Were it me I would ask questions there rather than here. "No slight to any of our guys at all, we've got an amazing group here" In fact I would likely find out when the next event was and show up with a pen and paper rather than a rifle. "Of course you would do well to call first and make sure it was o.k."

Not being a turd man, just telling you what I would do. Big Smile

The best folks to find out from would be the guys there. If you showed up at my range and asked questions and seemed like you wanted to do things the right way "which to me you do" I'd invite you to shoot with me a time or 2, and if things went well, I'd sponsor ya.

My local range is my workplace's lake and gun club. It's not nearly as nice as what you are describing and membership at mine is strictly for employees and retirees. I can bring a guest "family is free" for a 5 dollar "donation" and it's very laid back.

Best bet would be to try to hook up with a member and see if they allow guests, then both of you show up and spectate at one of the .22 competitions.

Again, don't want to come across as a dick, or a know it all. I'd answer your questions if I could. I recon all I just typed has already crossed your mind, hopefully I'm just giving it some verification.
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2011 at 21:39
Thanks man. Nah its cool I just want honest answers.
http://orsaonline.org/ this is the place.
I grew up in the country. Till now if I wanted to shoot something all I had to do was go out in the back yard and blast away. So I havent been to official ranges. I just like to shoot, I want to do it right, and I love to complete.  I have seen some pictures of competition 22s EVeryone is wearing shooting vest and wicked rifles with specialized "iron" sights(not my thing). I have seem some though that shoot  with scopes. I know they have different classes and "rankings".  I just like to compete and I have always found out that you cant get  better unless you  expand and press your skills. Competing with people that are better and more knowledgeable is a great way to increase ones abilities in anything.

Can anyone tell me if the sightron or leupold are better than my SS?. might be cool to upgrade oneday. Looking to impove glass main thing. want equal or better quality tracking.

Also can anyone tell me what the difference is the silhouette dot and the dot from sightron? I just seen it and its bugging the crap  out  of me.

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2011 at 21:47
Well i was readining the membership thing it says you can join if you are a NRA member (which I am )  that would count as a sponsor. I will see if I can find someone thats been there. Even if I dont shoot competively. IT looks like a AWESOME range, to shoot at.

neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2011 at 22:11
Cool Deal on the NRA thing.

Don't have any time behind any of the 3 "well about 5 shots behind a friend's SS, but nothing more" or I'd chime in on the scope selection. Urimaginaryfrnd knows his stuff, I wouldn't be afraid of anything he suggests.

I'd think a 6x SS would work well and do know a lot of competitions limit you to 6X on the top end. Me personally, I have a tough time even on a bench using more than about 9x on the top end. "I use sand bags or a bipod, and might feel different if I had other gear"

Keep us posted.
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2011 at 23:25
I think this is the most likely choice but there are different classes of competition and each allows different things.

Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Competition Hunter Riflescope Target Dot Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Competition Hunter Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66825
  • Matte
  • Target Dot
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$469.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/26/2011 at 23:34

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2011 at 23:31
Now if we were talking hi power competition that is usually AR-15 rifles and I have some links for that.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2011 at 07:11
Thanks guys. I think i got enough info. Now I just when i get a chance I will have to go by there and talk to some people.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic