OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS vrs. PST

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeinGBWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS vrs. PST
    Posted: April/25/2011 at 10:20
Greetings all.
I have a bit of a dilemma I hope you can help me sort out. I'm suffering from info. overload and I have lost all my ability to decide.
I have a $600 budget for some new optics. I think I narrowed my choices down to either the 3-9x42 SuperSniper or the Vortex 2.5-10x44 Viper PST(ERB-1). I currently use a Vortex Viper 3-9x40(V-Plex).
The shooting I do or will be doing is target work out to 600 yards. Some of it will include unknown distance. I do not hunt.
The SS has a FFP reticle but the PST has the sub-tension multipliers on the mag. ring.  Either should be a workable system.
In my area, there is no chance of seeing either of these to compare the glass. I have to rely on you folks to help there.
The SS is a 'no frills - get 'er done' optic with what sounds like outstanding glass and the PST has a few extra 'bells 'n whistles' to make life easier. Again, I have no idea how the glass compares.
This needs to be a high reliability tool that I can have complete confidence in all the time, short of taking it into battle.

So, what do you think based on the my two options? Which would you choose, and why? Did I miss anything?

Thanks,
Mike - inGBWI
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2011 at 10:23
I would pick the SS.  It is a known workhorse with very good glass, the PST is not really known yet like the SS scope.

I have a 10x HD and a regular Viper, the SS glass is noticeably better to me.  The FFP is a big selling point for me as well. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2011 at 10:52
If the PST gets a proven track record like the 3-9SS has then I could see it being a closer debate, until then 3-9SS all the way
MikeinGBWI View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeinGBWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2011 at 12:24
Next question for you guys.

How does the glass of the SS compare to my current Viper (3-9x40)?

Thanks,
Mike -in GBWI
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2011 at 16:11
Check the second line of my previous post. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2011 at 16:18
I have a 3-9 SS and a 4-12 regular viper, there is no questin the SS has better glass
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2011 at 16:44
I would not have a second thought about taking the SS 3-9x42 into battle.  It is a gunfight optic designed specifically for combat use on a designated marksman rifle.  The SS has a very solid sturdy feel.  In comparison lets just say the vortex is a nice scope with a great warranty and the one I ordered in I sent back not because of anything wrong with it, but just based on how it felt to me.  Not sure it can even be put into words, but my scopes have to work and keep working in a gunfight so I tend to have Super Snipers  Trijicons, Aimpoints and some Leupold Mk 4 scopes that will some day be replaced by a U.S. Optics scope or Heinsoldt if I can ever gather the money.  If there are still any left I'd save a hundred bucks and buy one of the demo ones off samplelist.com 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
MikeinGBWI View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeinGBWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2011 at 08:05
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I would not have a second thought about taking the SS 3-9x42 into battle.  It is a gunfight optic designed specifically for combat use on a designated marksman rifle.  The SS has a very solid sturdy feel.  In comparison lets just say the vortex is a nice scope with a great warranty and the one I ordered in I sent back not because of anything wrong with it, but just based on how it felt to me.  Not sure it can even be put into words, but my scopes have to work and keep working in a gunfight so I tend to have Super Snipers  Trijicons, Aimpoints and some Leupold Mk 4 scopes that will some day be replaced by a U.S. Optics scope or Heinsoldt if I can ever gather the money.  If there are still any left I'd save a hundred bucks and buy one of the demo ones off samplelist.com 

That summed up what I was looking for. I had heard that the 3-9 was battle hardened, but needed to hear that from a reliable source. Thanks.

To be so lucky to have the resources for the alpha glass ...

SVT - thanks for clearing up the fact that the SS does indeed have better glass than the original Viper.

Ok, now to nudge the last few ducks in the row and call SWFA.

Thanks a bunch for the advice folks.

Mike -in GBWI
Utah View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2011 at 10:35
I own two of the SS 3-9 scopes and two Vortex Vipers in other magnifacations. I'd have to give the nod to SS because of glass, ruggedness and adjustments. I have about 4000 rounds through rifels using the 3-9 SS and it has had no problems. Many of these rounds were with a M1A which is known to be hard on scopes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2011 at 19:08
I love the rifle on the left..

the other two... eehh...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2011 at 19:39
If you decide to go for the SS3-9,SWFA has a great deal going & you will save over $300.

+1 SS3-9

Edited by stickbow46 - May/01/2011 at 19:40
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2011 at 19:50
+2 on the SS 3x9.  Buy one and don't look back!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic