OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lightweight scope setup for mountain rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2011 at 18:07
please explain to me why a 25-06 isn't good for elk and a 308 is ok. 
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Fredfrankbob View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredfrankbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2011 at 18:32
Thank you all for the input, I have been checking out the suggestions, would weather conditions affect anyones suggestions?  I like the viper for the price, hard not to, I had issues with a lower line vortex in the past and after a few discussions with customer service, which I will say again, is the best I have seen, I was able to evaluate a viper visibly and saw a remarkable difference, I can only hope the internal differences are as great as the internal.  Anyways, back to suggestions and weather conditions.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredfrankbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2011 at 21:13
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

please explain to me why a 25-06 isn't good for elk and a 308 is ok. 
From what I have seen and read improper bullet selection, shot selection and poor shots have lead to the belief that the .25-06 is not enough for elk, while it may not be the perfect solution, in the right hands it is very effective.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2011 at 22:02
Originally posted by Fredfrankbob Fredfrankbob wrote:

Thank you all for the input, I have been checking out the suggestions, would weather conditions affect anyones suggestions?  I like the viper for the price, hard not to, I had issues with a lower line vortex in the past and after a few discussions with customer service, which I will say again, is the best I have seen, I was able to evaluate a viper visibly and saw a remarkable difference, I can only hope the internal differences are as great as the internal.  Anyways, back to suggestions and weather conditions.

The Viper is Vortex's top-of-the-line hunting scope, and have excellent fit, finish, and performance, even when compared to higher priced scopes.
-Matt
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2011 at 22:52
Originally posted by Fredfrankbob Fredfrankbob wrote:

Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

please explain to me why a 25-06 isn't good for elk and a 308 is OK. 
From what I have seen and read improper bullet selection, shot selection and poor shots have lead to the belief that the .25-06 is not enough for elk, while it may not be the perfect solution, in the right hands it is very effective.

To each their own, if I'm hunting any animal, I am going it with enough to put them down quick. 25-06 with proper shot placement may be fine, but a .300mag 180grain  shot in the same place is better.

As for as why a .308 is better than a 25-06, a .308 165 grain hunting bullet hits about 500 ft lbs

harder than a 120 grain 25-06, 500 ft lbs is a lot. The .308 round has better ballistics, holds more velocity for a longer period of time. and has a larger wound channel after impact. Most importantly of all, I have never heard of a .25 cal round that was designed for hunting Elk sized game, every manufacturer loading manual I've read for load development has advised against it.  I'm finished on the subject, this isn't the post or the forum for it, I was just sharing my experience, and what little I know.

Edited by Bigdave - April/24/2011 at 22:53
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2011 at 08:51
I'm not finished. I'm going to have to let my buddies in the Salmon,Yellowstone, Gunnison, San Juan areas that the literally hundreds of elk they have shot  in 30 years was only a perception.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredfrankbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2011 at 23:06

Anyone with experience please chime in.  Couple lower price options that I see and a couple higher as well.  I would like a bit lighter, but this still keeps my rifle under 8lbs.  Looking for the best all around in terms of low light, FOV, eye relief, reliablity and value and once again, looking to be able to shoot out to 500 yards.  Any and all opinions are appreciated and first hand experience would be awesome, I have looked through the elite 4200 and a viper, but never side by side, I did get a chance to view an elite 4200 and a Nitrex TR2 side by side and was impressed with both, but this was mid day.  My experience has been withe weavers and a nitrex, but the nitrex is too heavy and there are better than weaver out there IMO.  I know it is not really fair throwing the viper in that group due to price and variable range, but it was mentioned and wondering if it still deserves to be in the list.  I will say up front I have dismissed all leupold options, just not impressed for the dollar. 

Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2011 at 23:12
Fred I have a Vortex 2-7X32 Viper, and it is probably the best scope for $150 that you will ever buy. I love mine, and it will either last you the rest of your life, or they will get one in your hands that will. You would probably have to get a Conquest to get better glass. Or a higher model Viper, like a PST or something.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2011 at 23:17
I put that little viper on my lightweight rifle.  I got the BDC reticle, and I think you would be aided in a BDC as well, given you want to shoot to 500 yards.  Otherwise, you are going to be taking off the turret cover and spinning the elevation turret.  The S2 Big Sky with HHR could be a good choice as well. I think you can get the 3-9 Minox with a holdover reticle as well.  Bushy Elites are short on eye relief, compared to the others.

-Matt
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredfrankbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2011 at 00:27

Gonna give the viper a go, won't be able to get a BDC but I can deal, worst case I can throw it on the .44 mag, thanks for your input.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic