OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Glass: Is The Emperor Wearing Clothes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewwetzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Glass: Is The Emperor Wearing Clothes?
    Posted: April/22/2011 at 17:08
Or is my new Nikon Monarch a POS? Had it out yesterday and simply could not focus it; was like hunting for a window of eye relief that wasn't there. A bit of sun cleared things up a little, but wasn't even as sharp as my Buckmasters. I tried turning the SF both to both the up and down stops and turning it to the estimated range, but didn't help. It's a 5-20X, mounted on a wood-stocked Cooper (not the best cheek weld, I know) and controls are pretty much centered. I'm hearing of others disappointed in their New Monarchs; my old AO UCC had no such problem.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2011 at 20:17
Haven't heard of any issues like this?, maybe some one else can help.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2011 at 20:39
Did you make sure that the eyepiece is properly focused first?

It as to be adjusted to make the reticle (not the image perfectly sharp).  Once that is done, experiment again with optimizing the image via the side-focus knob.

If that does not work, chances are you good a bad scope that somehow slipped through the QC.  it happens with any company occasionally.  Just return it to Nikon and they will either fix it or exchange it.

ILya
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2011 at 10:20
i've looked through a couple monarchs lately, and they've all been very clear and bright.  take koshkin's advice
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2011 at 13:39
Yeah...I've got a Monarch UCC 2-7x32 that's just a dandy little scope.  Crystal clear optics.  It's on a turkey shotgun, so the elevation and windage turrets don't see much action.
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
lewwetzel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewwetzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2011 at 09:53
Thanks for the ideas; I'll keep trying different things. Really like everything else about this scope: accurate 1/8 adjustments, good SF, obj. dia., weight, etc. Sure wish Nikon (or, more accurately, whoever makes scopes for Nikon) would offer more reticle choices, such as: a ballistic/varmint type instead of only that big-game BDC, more mil-dots, etc.
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 21:41
I had a 6-24x50 Monarch I sold because I was having the same issue.  I could never get a crisp image past 100yds.  It also couldn't resolve bullet holes at 300yds like all my other similar scopes could.  IMO it's a POS and I've also had the same feeling as you about the Buckmark being just as sharp as the Monarch.

Mine was the only scope I've ever owned I felt I couldn't focus.
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 22:40
What power are you trying to focus on (5x, 12x, 20x)?  One common complaint I've heard about the new Monarchs is they aren't as clear/crisp at or near MAX power/zoom settings.

HTH,
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 00:13
I haven't spent much time with Nikons recently, but have never seen the described problems before.  I'm going to look into this.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
FunShot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 05:35

I have a few of the new nikon monarch in 5-20x44. At near max and max power in daytime conditions, the glare from the light bouncing off the front inner part of the scope tube at the objective bell causes a whitish haze on the image probably also accounting for the difficulty in getting the proper focus on max or near max power. Makes things a little fuzzy, turn down the power though 12x and below, the image is crisp. At night, even at max power image is sharp even at max power. I'm no optics expert though, just a layman's observation. Big Grin 
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 08:26
A sunshade helps too.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 11:51
My scope only gave me problems over 20x.  And I did use the included sunshade off and on and noticed no difference in clarity. 

IMO turning down the magnification isn't a viable answer.  I need 24x (maximum allowable in varmint class) to see 22cal holes in a target at 300yds.  I've since gone to 30mm Leupold's and problem solved.

I have a 11 year old 6.5-20x44 Monarch that is still clear and doesn't have any of the hazy focusing problems of the newer model.
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2011 at 14:17
I've seen the grey hazy issue with the Nikon 5-20x Monarch at higher powers back when I was searching for an upgrade for my varmint AR rig. I think i wrote about it about 2 years back or so. The thing that boggled my mind at the time was that the comparison 6-18x Buckmaster looked better. I didn't notice any problems with the lower powered Monarchs. It was really strange.
That actually influenced my decision to go with the (then) closeout 6.5-20x Vortex Viper instead (and I had dealer pricing on Monarchs available to me!)

FunShot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2011 at 23:43
Originally posted by biggreen747 biggreen747 wrote:

A sunshade helps too.
Nope i added a sunshade over the sunshade and the problem is still there, try putting it at max power then look at the eyepiece from a far and you will see the shiny part of the tube objective bell affecting the image. Do it with another scope and the glare or shiny tube is not there. 
What helped is putting a small sized hole about an inch across or smaller in front of the sunshade, either do it to your butler creek cover or a similar sized matt black sprayed bottle cap cover fitted on the objective. IMage becomes a bit smaller,  darker,  but sharper and haze less or haze free. When light goes down, just remove it or flip the cover. Smile 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic