OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

? Burris Fullfield-II USA or Import

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Savorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ? Burris Fullfield-II USA or Import
    Posted: April/22/2011 at 16:53
Were there some Burris Fullfield-II's that were made in the USA?
When did that change occur?
How to pick out the USA one? (clearly marked?)
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2011 at 18:30
There were ones that were made in the USA. I'm not sure when. My oldest one I've had is about 2.5-3 years old and it clearly says "Made in the Philippines" on the bottom. I'm not sure when the switch the the Philippines took place though. 
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2011 at 18:49
The made in USA. Models say it in big letters on the eye piece housing.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2011 at 21:58
it's been quite a few years now, I am guessing around 10, that production of the FFII was moved to the Philippines. There are a couple Burris folks on here so maybe one of them will chime in with an exact date.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Savorino View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Savorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2011 at 09:18
Thanks for the info
Thinking about buying a gun that is wearing a FF-II and wanted to have as much info about both  before proceeding. Bucky
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2011 at 11:19
There is nothing wrong with the Philippines made scopes. They are still good scopes and Burris stands behind them. A large portion of the scopes in the $200.00-$600.00 price range are manufactured in the Philippines. Nikon, Burris, Vortex and many others. If the price is right your getting a very serviceable scope with the rifle.

Edited by biggreen747 - April/23/2011 at 11:22
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Savorino View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Savorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2011 at 17:24
I've heard great news about the FF-II and had one breifly.
I have philippines optics also.
But, if'n it was a USA FF-II it would be easier to sell or get my investment out of.  In case I buy the gun but would rather use another scope I already have. Or whatever, to help me afford the gun, etc..
Thanks All.
31 bertram View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 31 bertram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2011 at 20:41
I have one of each and I can't tell much difference between the two.   Maybe just my aging eyes. 
 I can also tell you that they are tough as nails.
31 bertram
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2011 at 00:49
I wouldn't expect to get much more for the USA made one. I've seen several for sale, and when they ask higher prices than newer ones go for, they never seem to sell. Once they are in the same price range as the rest, that's when they sell. You might be able to get a couple of dollars extra, but not much at all if any. Just wanted to throw that out there. 
Gerry Atric View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2011 at 03:05

Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 is one of the riflescopes I recommend to newly examined hunters here in Sweden.
They have some problems to abide with the old saying "buy the rifle, then spend at least twice the money on the scope", it seems that it´s easy to fall in the trap buying cheap illuminated optics of inferior quality.

Without knowing all the facts I would rather buy the Philippino Fullfield as it must have happened something positive quality-wise/performance-wise during the 10-15 years (?) of manufacturing abroad despite the fact that "the manufacturing process mirrors the US plant with exactly the same machinery"
(very "loose" citation from a deterioated memory Wink)

Gerry Atric

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2011 at 07:35
The US Made FFII is worth no more than any other FFII.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic