OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rem700 Sporter and Monarch Fit issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote permaculture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rem700 Sporter and Monarch Fit issue
    Posted: April/21/2011 at 15:51

Last year I purchased a used Remington 700 Sporter (long action 30.06) with rings and Bushnell Banner.

I have sinced purchased a new Nikon Monarch 2.5x10x42 scope for it.  If I were to install it in the existing rings, i would not be able to keep the rear lens cover of the Monarch as the it blocks the operation of the bolt.  If I remove the cap, the bolt has enough space.  The front cap also has little room when including the scope covers.

The intended use of the rifle is for hunting in Colorado for ranges 300 yards and less.  My club as a 600 yard range, but that is secondary for now.

I would prefer to keep the scope caps with the scope. If I need new rings, I need ones good for hunting but I do not need high-end competition rings.  I do not know what brand of rings are on there now and can't say I have the experience to determine if they function well or not.

Any recommendations for either just not using the scope caps or replacing the rings?  If replacing, I was thinking the Burris Signature Zee (high??)

Pictures are here.

thank you

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2011 at 15:52
I would instead use talley lightweight one piece mounts and call it a day.  SWFA cn help you with the height you need to insure your caps still fit
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2011 at 16:58
Or if you do go with the Burris rings, I would choose the mediums, as they run a bit high anyway.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2011 at 17:02
And after looking at your pictures, I agree with SVT. Go with the Talley's. (I despise turn in bases)
permaculture View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote permaculture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2011 at 12:03

Thanks guys

I ordered some today from SWFA.

Are these something I can install myself?  Do I need to lap them or is there any trick to making sure my reticle is perfectly level?

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2011 at 12:09
You can use a plumb bob strung-up at 25 yards.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote permaculture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2011 at 21:07
I called SWFA and Josh recommended the medium Talley.  It is a really tight fit.  I can open the bolt with the pop-up rear lense cover open, but not closed.  I suspect this will be fine.

I decided to go with a professional installation and dropped the rifle/scope off on Thursday night.

I will post some pictures in a few weeks if anyone wants to see it.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote permaculture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2011 at 20:11
I got the rifle back from the gunsmith and the bolt does hit the rear cap of the Monarch.  With the cap off it is ok.  Since I did not provide any personal recommendations, the scope was mounted/positioned the way the gunsmith and his staff find it comfortable.  I find it a little awkward as it is so far forward compared to the old mounted scope.

I shot about 27 rounds through it last week.  The good news is that the scope did not hit me in the face like the old one did.  I also shot slightly less than 2 inches @ 200 yards using the $14/box Federal soft point ammo from Wal*Mart.  This is the best I have ever shot and I am very happy with those results.  This was off a bench with some old jeans pantlegs filled with wood stove pellets.  Not flintching is easier when you don't expect to be hit.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic