OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bore cleaning rod?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmyner99er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bore cleaning rod?
    Posted: April/20/2011 at 20:20
Hey guys, I need a cleaning rod for my sako 7mm rm. (think its about 24"bbl) Is there a better rod?

Also, I need some copper/bore solvent suggestions to boot...

Sweets, Butchs, Montana??

Thanks
We work on our baby the same way, striving for maximum performace.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2011 at 20:24
Tipton cleaning rods.

WIPE OUT bore cleaner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WIPE OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WIPE OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Matt
jmyner99er View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmyner99er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2011 at 20:47

Does the tipton have bearings on the handle so it will turn with the twist?

So Wipe out does a good job? Have you tired any other solvents?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2011 at 21:21
Dewey or Tipton.

I use Dewey.

http://www.deweyrods.com/
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmyner99er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2011 at 21:29
Those two seem to be the most popular, surley one is better rod? Mike what made you go with Dewey? Anything physical, the construction, type of material?
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2011 at 21:47
BORETECH AND DON't LOOK BACK...

More expensive but better quality.

They are $40 bucks but you will never buy another or want another...
No one
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2011 at 21:58
I have the Tipton because I got a fantastic deal on two of them, but I like the BoreTech better.  While the Tipton claims to perform as well, it doesn't.  The attachments still unscrew so have to be checked after every pass.  That does not happen with the BoreTech...  Price should not be an issue when it comes to cleaning a fine rifle.  Don't get me wrong, the Tipton with composite rod is great, but I would rather pay a little more and have the attachments remain "screwed on". 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2011 at 22:04
Your gonna get all kinds of suggestions. Big Smile

Get a good bore guide when purchasing your cleaning rod (I use Lucas).

http://www.opticstalk.com/lucas-bore-guide-vs-dewey-bore-guide_topic24644.html

http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/954882.htm
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2011 at 22:14
I haven't had a problem with my Tipton, but maybe their quality control varies. Wipeout is about as easy a way to go, especially if you get their accelerator too. I will also leave a .45 cal bore mop soaked in M-Pro-7 stuck in the chamber overnight to remove carbon deposits from that often overlooked area. The Lucas guide has worked really well. What's good about it is the insert sleeve that is just a little over the cleaning rod diameter so it keeps it from flexing much.
Reaction time is a factor...
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2011 at 23:27
Originally posted by jmyner99er jmyner99er wrote:

Does the tipton have bearings on the handle so it will turn with the twist?

So Wipe out does a good job? Have you tired any other solvents?

Tipton Carbon rods have bearings and are nice rods.  As mentioned, you do have to check your jags once in a while.  I haven't used Bore Tech, but people love em. 

I have used just about everything to clean bores.  I used to shoot the old pre TSX Barnes, and got to see some really fowled bores.  Many solvents work ... if you do.  Wipe Out is easy.  Just spray, wait, and push a patch.  The bore comes out clean as a whistle with hardly any effort.  I don't brush my bores at all any more.  I don't use anything else any more.  There are a few products out there I truly feel like I can't do without, and this is one of them.  It is THAT GOOD!
-Matt
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmyner99er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2011 at 23:31

Exactly, Lucas bore guide. I emailed and he finally got back to me wanting to know my bolt diameter 1/1000th and what kind of rod Im using...

I dont have a rod yet, so I figured you all probably have it figured out.

I will read the link above from swfa forum. (read the 6mmbr already)
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2011 at 09:03
Another thing to keep in mind when pushing a jag through the barrel is that you can damage the crown if you're not careful. I put the rifle in a cradle, then position it so the barrel is less than a jag's length from the back of my workbench. That way, the jag will hit the board and not come all the way out of the barrel. As I pull it back into the barrel the patch will just drop off.

With brushes always make sure they are pushed all the way out of the barrel and pulled all the way out into the chamber (or bore guide). Otherwise the bristles can stand straight up and scratch the lands inside the barrel.
Reaction time is a factor...
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2011 at 14:29
+1 on the Boretech rods & their cleaner.

I no longer use jags to finish,I found that using a worn wrapped brush wrapped with a  wad works better.When I'm finishing I run a patch with plain old Windex,then dry patch, then a oil patch to finish.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2011 at 13:27
Well, I have a Boretech, and use their Eliminator cleaner. I was going to buy a Tipton carbon fiber rod, but after reading all this, I'll stick with my Boretech.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic