OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kruger Caldera

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opticPunk335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 19:12
Klamath since you have experience with both the Kruger Caldera and Zen Ray ED3, which one is better optically? Is there a difference? 
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 19:44
Originally posted by opticPunk335 opticPunk335 wrote:

Klamath since you have experience with both the Kruger Caldera and Zen Ray ED3, which one is better optically? Is there a difference? 
FWIW, my Caldera looks like the one in your posted picture.  What does yours look like anyway?  I'm starting to wonder what you really do have.

The differences in the ED 3 and the Caldera are principally ergonomic.  The Calders is smaller than the ED 3.  The Caldera has a different feel in your hands.  That Caldera does have enough wider fov that the difference can be seen.  That surprised me some because I didn't think a posted 426 for the ZEN ED 3 and 438 for the Caldera.  However, my Caldera actually measures 460'.  Sorry to say I did not check the ED 3, but the Ed and ED 2's I have checked were right on the specified standard. 

The ocular assembly on the Caldera is maybe  1mm or so wider than the ED 3 and some others.  Thge edges of the eye cups are pretty suqared off too.  This may make the some uncomfortable feeling holding the Caldera to their eyes.

Trying to call any significant optival differences is sort of like counting angels on the head of a pin.

When the ED 3 came out I had the Caldera and I knew the Zen Prime HD was in the works.  As a result I didn't keep the review sample and send ZR a check.  I do have an ED 3 7x43.  But I am waiting for the Prime.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

opticPunk335 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opticPunk335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 20:12
Below is how mine looks like. Yours look exactly like the picture above. 
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 21:09
OK yours are the second,  and for all I know current variation with the diopter control covered by the black tab and associated ring.

Yes, mine are just like the ones in they first picture you posted.  Except I cut off the factory winged eye shields and replaced them with the Winged Eye Shield from Field Optics Research.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic