OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Brass suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rightwingnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brass suggestions
    Posted: April/19/2011 at 11:09
Im new to hand loading and Im gonna buy the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Master Kit and a digital caliper to get started.  I have a custom built 22-250AI on the way and Im gonna fire-form all my brass.  I want to start stocking up on ammo to fire-form the brass.  Any suggestions on what brass (ammo) I should buy or avoid?  Looking for accuracy so i dont mind spending extra to start out with the "best" brass for my reloading. Thank you in advance.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 11:34
Lapua brass is the best, but it is pricey.  Norma is really good as well.

Winchester has always worked fine for me, but it takes more prep time to get it good.

Lapua drills the flash holes so there is not big chunk of brass on the inside that has to be cut out.  Winchester and Remington punch theirs so you need a deburring tool to clean it out. 

If you are willing to spend the money though, get the Lapua, it is great brass.

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 11:38
Lapua
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 12:01
You won't need to waste time with Lapua doing prep or sorting cases. That's not to say that as you've fired the brass a few times you won't have to trim it. All brass will flow. I'd consider Norma, but it makes Lapua look cheap.

Another thing to keep in mind: Brass from different manufacturers will have different case volumes. Loads you develop or read about for one brand of brass might be too hot in another brand because of reduced volume. You can use an established load as a base, but start out 5-10% lower on the powder weight.
Reaction time is a factor...
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2011 at 23:24
BUY ONCE
BUY RIGHT

LAPUA...

http://www.lapua.com/en/lapua/lapua-video.html

http://www.nammo.com/Locations/Finland1/Lapua/

I do from time to time buy PRVI Brass, or Rem or Win Nickel...
No one
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2011 at 15:06
I like bulk Winchester brass for most of my rifles. There's a bit of case work involved (I'm not sure that it really matters much since I'm not a bench- rest shooter,) but it helps justify all of my case- prep gizmos.
I also buy a lot of bulk once- fired range and military brass for just general use, forming to other calibers, reduced loads, etc. Got a bunch of Remmy brass in my last lot and it's ok, too.
 Bulk brass is great for plinking around with autoloaders, as most of it gets lost in the weeds and cheap cost comes into play.
For the really hot stuff for long- range shooting, Norma seems to have more internal case capacity than similar brands, so you can stuff in more powder, but I don't get as good case life with Norma as just about any other brand, loaded hot, or not.

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2011 at 20:06
Lapua for bolt rifles,Norma for gas & auto rifles [don't mix bolt & auto fired brass]

For hand guns- Starline
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic