OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

6x binoculars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6x binoculars
    Posted: April/19/2011 at 10:09
 I am looking at adding a 6x binocular to my toy box this summer. Had planned on buying a good spotting scope this summer, but with daughter in Med school, it ain't gonna happen. I have been wanting a small pair of binoculars and I can probably swing 3 or 4 hundred dollars worth. 
 So, I am asking for some ideas. Please bear in mind that I do not have an opportunity to look thru any to try out.
tompac View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 10:13
BTW, I should add that I own a pair of 8x42 Nikon Monarch ATB and am happy with the veiw thru them. Just to give you guys an idea of the quality I am looking for.
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 10:18
6x32 vortex viper if you can find them. discontinued but great glass in the 300$ range
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 10:18
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 20:00
Leupold Katmai 6x32

johnfox View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 20:55
Just bought a pair of Viper 6x32's and I'm very glad I did.
Very impressive glass and right in your price range at just a little over $300.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 21:51
+1 Viper.

The 6X32 is the best of the Katmai series by a fair margin, but the vipers are still better. 
-Matt
bird_hunter66 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bird_hunter66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2011 at 07:45
Plus +1 for the Leupolds Yesomite.  My wife has a 8x32 pair and I love looking through them from time to time.  I'm sure the 6x would be just as good.  They are great glass and size for the money.  I would buy another pair if I needed them for sure.
D. Holmes
boatammo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatammo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2011 at 21:48
Had 2 pair of minox 6.5x32 if's which I thought were really great until I got the 6x30 vipers, WOW. My other pair is a 7x42 zeiss fl's that are better but they should be.
tompac View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2011 at 07:35
Guys, thanks for the input. Now for another question. Which are the most compact?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2011 at 09:06
The Katmai is. It would likely be my choice due to its size, even though the Viper is likely a little better in optics.

Edited by Klamath - April/22/2011 at 09:07
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2011 at 22:20
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2011 at 17:35
The katmai is the most compact, but the viper is better optically and by a fair margin. I have the specs for both in my review of the Viper:
http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8:vortex-viper-6x32&catid=5:binocular-reviews&Itemid=5

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic