OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

20MOA base ok for 100yard zero?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20MOA base ok for 100yard zero?
    Posted: April/19/2011 at 06:34
I have an older model Sightron SIII that I'm going to be putting on my Rem 700 .22-250 here soon and I want to know if I should be able to zero it at 100 yards if I'm using a 20MOA base.  This model only has 50MOA of adjustment so I don't want to buy the 20MOA base if I won't be able to zero it at 100.  I'm planning on buying TPS bases and rings.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 07:37
You most likely will be able to but that doesnt mean you should.  Ring height and other things play a factor as well.  If you not going to shoot it at longer ranges often then you dont' need the 20MOA base.  Its been said that by leaving a scopes adjustment range at the limits, (ie near the max in the range which you'd most likely be doing a 100yd zero with a 20moa base and only 50MOA internal adjustment) can be damaging to the scope.  I'll see if I can find the post about it. 
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 09:08
When the erector is "topped out" or " bottomed out" it may limit the amount of horizontal movement available in the windage adjustment, and maybe damaging it in some cases.  
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 09:41
In theory, if the scope mounts up perfectly centered, you should have enough adjustment leftover to get out about 900 yards. This is with a flat base, and according to JBM ballistics(55grV-max@3600fps). Again this in  theory.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 09:58
Since 22-250s in general are made to shoot 40 to 50 grain bullets, they don't have much energy and the midrange distances.  I would just get a flat base.  It should easily get you to 500 yards which is out there pretty far for a light bullet like that. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Michael Riley View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 10:01
Ok, sounds like 0MOA it is.  For the most part this rifle won't be shot past 600 yards except on very rare occasions.  I just figured if it would work out, that if  ever decided to rebarrel the rifle to something like .308 that I'd have the extra elevation to reach out there a little further.  But that won't be happeing anytime soon if ever.  I just like to plan ahead for unlikely "if"s...

Thanks for the quick replies.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 10:03
That is the same thing I did with my 223 WSSM.  I bought a TPS 20 moa just in case.  Big Grin
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 23:09
Why do you feel you need a 20 moa base with a 22-250?  What distance do you plan to shoot.  What twist is your barrel and are you shooting bullets that are heavy enough to justify trying to go long range.  With a .22 cal we are talking a 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 twist barrel and 75 + grain bullet to shoot 600 yds.  I'm thinking that with a flat base you should be able to get that far.   If you have the correct twist barrel  which would be a 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 twist.   What is most likely is  that you have a  1 in 12 or 1 in 14 that is ment to shoot 50 gr bullets to about 300 yds max.  Accordingly I dont see any need for a 20 moa base for that caliber.  Its not like you are shooting 107 gr bullets out of a 1 in 8 twist  .243  to 1000 yds.  Everything has to match up to go ultra long range and the starting point is what twist is the barrel?  Untill the other factors match up why bother with a plus 20 moa base?
  http://www.opticstalk.com/what-twist-rate-for-which-bullet-weight_topic19347.html

Going  from 22-250 to a .308 is more of a change than just the barrel its not the same basic case size probably better to trade rifles than change the caliber.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/19/2011 at 23:12

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2011 at 06:14
I don't really feel the need for it and know I won't need it for my caliber, I just didn't see a reason why not to get it if it would work and possibly be useful in the future.  My barrel is a 1 in 14 twist and I shoot 50 grain noslers at 3700fps.  I rarely shoot past 400 yards but occasionly do some target shooting and plinking at milk jugs out to 600 with some buddies. 

Anyways, I now realize that I'm better off going with a flat base which isn't a problem by any means.  The points you made (such as this: Going  from 22-250 to a .308 is more of a change than just the barrel its not the same basic case size probably better to trade rifles than change the caliber.") are the reason I ask questions on this site:) 

Thanks for the help.  Will be ordering the TPS flat base and rings from SWFA here soon.

One more question though..  I don't want to make another topic if I don't need to, but what height rings do I need to mount a Sightron SIII 6-24X50 onto a Rem 700VS with the TPS XP Tactical base to keep it as low as possible?  It has Butler Creek caps on it. 
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2011 at 09:06
These 
or these, should work fine. depending if your scope is 1" or 30mm main tube.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2011 at 09:23
This is a Vortex 6.5-20x50 with 30mm tube.  I have super low TPS rings.  But I have an EGW base which is higher than a TPS base.  I am betting you could probably get by with TPS lows.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2011 at 10:52
Good Luck with the rifle.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2011 at 03:10
Thank you.  Just ordered the rings and base.  Read in another topic that the TPS rings were on backorder?  Didn't see anything about that while ordering so hopefully not. 
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2011 at 14:08
If you are going to use a O elevation rail ,then why not go with a 1 piece Talley?
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic