OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Yet another which Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 11:05
Shooting at 100yds and spotting hits at 100yds are two entirely different things.

Edited by SVT_Tactical - April/19/2011 at 11:05
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 12:32
I know this completely blows your budget but if you are going to be shooting competition at 50yds and occasionally going to 100yds for fun but want to determine where your hits are I would take the advice of all above and go with the SS Fixed 6X and add this to your gear bag for scoring hits.

http://www.samplelist.com/Bushnell-12-36x50-Legend-Ultra-HD-Spotting-Scope-DEMO-B-P2401.aspx

As SVT said - shooting at 100yds and scoring your hits are 2 different things. The 6X SS is more than adequate for 100yd shooting. High magnification on a low quality scope just makes the fuzzy things appear bigger not clearer. I have generally found that when most people think they want higher magnification what they are really looking for is greater clarity.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
mamamia View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamamia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 12:37

SVT_Tactical

Could you please address below question

< ="utf-8">
What is your opinion about Weaver V24, even if I sink $330 is it worth? I'm reading that the scope is hit or miss, and gets blurry at higher magnification (My Simmons did at 9X). Does the scope holds the value well incase if I want to sell it later? is there any sale event on horizon where I can get it for few dollars less?

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 12:39

I wouldn't get it, better out there.  If you step up to that price range there are better choices for what your trying to do.  I'm not a big weaver fan but hey do have a large rimfire following.  I think you may need to start off with something like the $99 vortex special and then decide if you really want that high of magnification.  I bet you'll leave it on 6X more than you think. 

Edited by SVT_Tactical - April/19/2011 at 12:40
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 12:44
Originally posted by mamamia mamamia wrote:

I had  a Simmons 22mag 3-9x on my Ruger and I had to keep it dialed in at 9x to spot target clearly at 50yds. Even at 9X it was useless at 100yds. So I was under impression that I would need more magnification to shoot 100yrds.

is there any sale event on horizon where I can get it for few dollars less?

With a less expensive scope you are not going to be able to see very well. I use a Leupold 3-9x33 EFR on my Volquartsen 22LR and have not had any problems seeing out to 200yds with it.

If the rules limit you to a 6x I would definitely go with the SS6x. When shooting at 50yds and then going to 100yds you will need to correct for the bullet drop which is a lot. So you will need good mechanicals to dial in correction. This is one area where the SS scopes excel and compare with scope costing many times more.

If you really feel you must have more magnification. Then the Vortex Crossfire 6-24 is a good scope glass wise for what you will pay for it. I have looked through one and was pleasantly surprised by it. but I can not attest to how good the mechanicals are though.

And if by chance you find what you are looking for somewhere else SWFA (The sponsers of this site) have a 110% price guarantee.

mamamia View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamamia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 12:50
Hmmm..what are the other choices I have in weavers price range.

Also at what Mag factor does Vortex Crossfire starts blurring. Also Does it hold Zero well. I know 22LR has not a lot of recoil but I have to be sure.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 13:42
The crossfire has been on several hard kickers and proven themselves.  I had the first one i got go belly up in 100 shots on a heavy barrelled 223 but they replaced it quick and fast and no issues since.  one of the regulars on here has one on a heavy springer, known for killing scopes, and his is still going strong.  They are usable up to the top end but your image quality will deteriorate.  You can see the X on 24 but you may nto be able to see the defined lines of the x.... get it?
mamamia View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamamia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 14:27
Thanks SVT_Tactical.

I will give Vortex Crossfire a try first. Can you suggest some Quick Release rings for this scope. I have a CZ 452 with good iron sights, I want to be able to shoot with iron sights and put a scope on when ever required. I dont think see through rings are an option since they will put the scope higher and wont give a good cheek weld. 
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 14:38

A whole nother issue altogether is mounts.  to mount that scope on your rimfire your gonna need high mounts to clear the rear sight if you plan to leave it in.  Look at this

See how high I had to go with the rings to get a small 3-9x40 to fit because of the rear sight?  I you want to be able to use quick release rings and use the iron sights, plan on piss poor check weld.  My recommendation would be loose the rear sight and not worry with the irons.  If you want to shoot irons, keep the CZ un scoped and use the irons and get another gun to scope.  Rarely can you have both.

Edited by SVT_Tactical - April/19/2011 at 14:39
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 16:11
There is no such thing as a decent high magnification scope for $200.

If you want to be competitive with your CZ, you should consider getting a decent scope for it and within your stated price range there are very few options (if any).

There is a number of scopes out there well-suited to you rapplication, but they are typically more expensive than you are looking at.  Here are some options:

The cheapest decent option is probably this:

ILya

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 16:20
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

There is no such thing as a decent high magnification scope for $200.

If you want to be competitive with your CZ, you should consider getting a decent scope for it and within your stated price range there are very few options (if any).

There is a number of scopes out there well-suited to you rapplication, but they are typically more expensive than you are looking at.  Here are some options:

The cheapest decent option is probably this:

ILya

listen to this man, he is concedered to be the authority in optics by many of us
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 16:32
I have that model Diamondback, and it's not bad. I also have the 3-9 model and to my eyes, the 3-9 is clearer. The extra top end is really not very useable on my 4-12 model so it stays below 9x.

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 16:47
Originally posted by neilbilly neilbilly wrote:

I have that model Diamondback, and it's not bad. I also have the 3-9 model and to my eyes, the 3-9 is clearer. The extra top end is really not very useable on my 4-12 model so it stays below 9x.

That 4-12x40 is primarily applicable because it has an AO.  There are two in the DIamondback line: AO and non-AO.

ILya
mamamia View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamamia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 17:09
Koshkin thanks for chiming. 

SVT_Tactical I understand what you mention about Koshkin, read couple of article from him.

Assuming if I go with http://swfa.com/Sightron-4-16x42-SII-Riflescope-P9179.aspx what is that I'm going to loose compared to Weaver V24.  I am asking this since both scopes are priced the same but Weaver V24 has is 6-24X.

How about buying this used one?

http://www.opticstalk.com/sightron-big-sky-416x42-for-sale_topic28351.html
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 17:28

Koshkin thanks for chiming. 

SVT_Tactical I understand what you mention about Koshkin, read couple of article from him.

Assuming if I go with http://swfa.com/Sightron-4-16x42-SII-Riflescope-P9179.aspx what is that I'm going to loose compared to Weaver V24.  I am asking this since both scopes are priced the same but Weaver V24 has is 6-24X.

How about buying this used one?

http://www.opticstalk.com/sightron-big-sky-416x42-for-sale_topic28351.html

Sightron S2 is a step above Weaver V24.  Sightron S2 Big Sky is a step above S2.

If you can get the Big Sky version, go for it.  It is a very nice scope and it works exceedingly well for target shooting.

ILya
mamamia View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamamia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 17:31
How much will loose in terms of magnification factor compared with Weaver 24X and Sightron 16x, and Weaver 24x, that is what is killing me :( 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 17:37

How much will loose in terms of magnification factor compared with Weaver 24X and Sightron 16x, and Weaver 24x, that is what is killing me :( 

You will see more detail at 16x with the Sightron than with Weaver V24 at 24x.

More magnification does not necessarily mean you are going to see better.  Sometimes, it is quite the opposite.  Even with the Weaver V24 you are likely to see more detail under most lighting conditions at 16x than at 24x.

ILya
mamamia View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamamia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 17:43
< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">Thanks.

How about this deal.

Sightron SII 6.5-20X42 for $310 used.

I dont see this model anywhere but listed on a forum for sale, is it worth getting this scope.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 18:19

< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">Thanks.

How about this deal.

Sightron SII 6.5-20X42 for $310 used.

I dont see this model anywhere but listed on a forum for sale, is it worth getting this scope.

I have never seen that model.

There used to be a 6.5-20x50 and 6-24x42 in the SII line-up.  6.5-20x42 is new to me.

In the SII line-up, in my opinion, 4-26x42 is the best optimized model.  In the S2 Big Sky line-up 6-24x42 and 6.5-20x50 are quite good as well.

Generally, trying to chase magnification the way you are doing is a wrong way to go; at least until you decide to go up in price a bit.

ILya
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 18:51
@ Koshkin   DOH! "me"   Didn't follow the link and see the AO model.   Mine is non-ao 

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic