OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tactical scope options?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tactical scope options?
    Posted: April/17/2011 at 12:29
I'm looking for optics for my new AR10, and am looking for some input.  I'm not new to guns or hunting, but I am new to these types.  This gun will only be used for personal/family protection, and will (hopefully) never/rarely be used, so I'm not concerned with "bling", costly name brands just to say I have "X", or unnecessary features, however I do want something reliable.  Since use will be limited to close range to 100 yards I'm thinking red dot, but it doesn't have to be.  Cost is a factor as well...  but I won't be so cheap as to buy junk.

I'm leaning towards the Aimpoint Pro, with the possibility of adding a flip up 4x magnifier later on. 

I also considering the Leupold VX II 1x4x20 with the Burris mount.  Maybe adding a laser for short distance later.. that would give me the red dot in the scope.  

Does anyone have experience with the Aimpoint or similar set up?  Either way I'm looking in the $400 price range.  Suggestions?0
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 12:38
I do love the Aimpoints... based on your statements, that would be my choice. But, I am partial to them, have one of the first available on the market and have never gotten over how great it was on a mini-14.  I've had one on everything from .22 to 30-06 and have seriously been considering one for my .375 H&H.  I had one on my 10/22 for quite a while, a friend wanted to buy it, so I replaced it with a cheap red dot.  It worked "ok" is about all I can say for it.  I've wanted the Aimpoint back ever since.  I'll probably be sporting one on the .375 in the near future...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 12:47
Welcome to The OT. 

I feel an Aimpoint is an excellent optic for the shooting scenario you described. Combat tested, ridiculously long battery life, simple. Personal protection uses will probably be closer than 100 yards, but you can hit "minute of man" out that far and beyond, with no worries. I shot steel plates out past 200 yards with my M2 w/ a 4 MOA reticle. 

I've never used a magnifier with an Aimpoint, so I'll let someone else comment on those. 

I think the Micro's are the cat's ass on an AR these days, but are admittedly a tad above your $400 budget. 

FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 15:22
It's more than your budget, but check out the SWFA - SS 1x4 - benifits of a red dot and 4 x scope.  Just an option.
One View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 16:22

Thanks for the advice guys. 

I did see the add for the SWFA - SS 1x4.  Pretty cool, but with the cost of the gun I can't swing that right now.  I have too many addictive hobbies that cost a lot unfortunately.0 

Cheaptrick, I did see those but what is the difference between the micro and this:  Obviously size and weight, but the micro is 3 moa and the PRO is 2 moa.  Why the price difference?

Also what are the advantages/disadvantages of a red dot vs crosshairs?  Sorry, I'm a little green on the red dots as I've never owned one.  Is it easier to find an object quicker with a red dot, or just personal preference?

Edited by cheaptrick - April/17/2011 at 19:09
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 18:39
If your stated purpose and use is accurate, I'd consider a Trijicon Reflex II, it is about perfect for your objectives.

Be aware that your 308-caliber AR will be very, very loud in a home defense scenario, the bullet will pass through MANY layers of sheet rock, the flash and concussion will be significant, and the barrel length makes clearing corners a bit tough.

All that said, it'll work.

Aimpoint is great.  I prefer the Reflex for your stated objective simply because there is no on/off switch; when needed, it is ready to go.  The dot is larger, but at your stated ranges, that isn't a bad thing.  Aimpoint too will work, but I prefer the Reflex for emergency use (Murphy says batteries will fail at the absolute worst possible time.)

The 1-4 SS would be my choice, it will serve well up close, and allow you to reach out a bit beyond what any red dot will allow.  But it costs more.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 19:09
I'm not familiar with that Aimpoint. It looks like a Comp 3model, but I don't know. 

Price difference is probably due to the Micro being "newer", better battery life, and it's more compact.
The Micro's are simply the best Aimpoint's I've ever used.  

That said, I'm sure it would serve you just as well.

I'm deleting the link you posted. Please heed ROE #3.
3.  Do not advertise other retailers selling the same or similar products as SWFA, this includes posting links to other retailers for products sold by SWFA.  SWFA does not provide this forum as a vehicle to redirect customers to our competition.
Thank you in advance. 

Edited by cheaptrick - April/17/2011 at 19:17
One View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 20:29
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

If your stated purpose and use is accurate, I'd consider a Trijicon Reflex II, it is about perfect for your objectives.

Be aware that your 308-caliber AR will be very, very loud in a home defense scenario, the bullet will pass through MANY layers of sheet rock, the flash and concussion will be significant, and the barrel length makes clearing corners a bit tough.

All that said, it'll work.

Aimpoint is great.  I prefer the Reflex for your stated objective simply because there is no on/off switch; when needed, it is ready to go.  The dot is larger, but at your stated ranges, that isn't a bad thing.  Aimpoint too will work, but I prefer the Reflex for emergency use (Murphy says batteries will fail at the absolute worst possible time.)

The 1-4 SS would be my choice, it will serve well up close, and allow you to reach out a bit beyond what any red dot will allow.  But it costs more.
I was considering the Reflex types also.  I've never used one, so I was worried about it being exposed to weather/bright sunlight and the dot not showing up.  I'm guessing the advantage would that you'd be able to pick something up in view faster?  Is bright light or rain a factor?

I was strongly considering the .223.  I wanted something a little more versatile (longer range, property, etc) so I decided on the .308 with 16" barrel.   I have the trusty 1911 for inside also.  Thanks for the heads up Smile
One View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 20:33
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I'm not familiar with that Aimpoint. It looks like a Comp 3model, but I don't know. 

Price difference is probably due to the Micro being "newer", better battery life, and it's more compact.
The Micro's are simply the best Aimpoint's I've ever used.  

That said, I'm sure it would serve you just as well.

I'm deleting the link you posted. Please heed ROE #3.
3.  Do not advertise other retailers selling the same or similar products as SWFA, this includes posting links to other retailers for products sold by SWFA.  SWFA does not provide this forum as a vehicle to redirect customers to our competition.
Thank you in advance. 
Sorry I didn't know.  I looked through the store link that you posed, but did not see that model.  It was the first one that popped up in a google search, and was just for reference.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2011 at 03:27
No worries. 
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2011 at 10:32
Weather is no problem,rain is no issue.  As for sun light, there is a fiber optic element that increases dot intensity in bright light.  Where most reflex sites run into trouble is washout in transitions from very dark to very bright, the military model includes a polarizing filter that helps with this.  Unless the intruder is wearing a bright yellow shirt, you will be fine.

A 308 from a 16" barrel is going to be very, very loud, just be aware.  

I have owned/do own Aimpoint, EoTech, and Trijicon Reflex, and 1-4X scopes; all have advantages, it comes down to personal preference.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2011 at 10:58

First choice because its always turned on.
Trijicon 1x42 Reflex II Dual Illuminated Sight Trijicon 1x42 Reflex II Dual Illuminated Sight
Stock # - RX34A51
  • 4.5 MOA Amber Dot
  • Comes with TA51 Flattop Mount
$551.95 < id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl07_Price_VS" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl07$Price$VS" value="wt/MKHofhKskElbQ4sNw2RZXI1GYYHZkqWdcNW0axBqIAZiGqxEduc+zZL7uMT8R" ="">
Trijicon 1x42 Reflex II Dual Illuminated Sight Trijicon 1x42 Reflex II Dual Illuminated Sight
Stock # - RX3411
  • 4.5 MOA Amber Dot
  • Comes with Weaver Mount
$566.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/21/2011 at 22:30

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2011 at 11:03
Other good choices:
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$299.95 
Aimpoint 9000SC 30mm Red Dot Sight 2 MOA Dot Aimpoint 9000SC 30mm Red Dot Sight
Stock # - AIM11417
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot   <====<<<
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
$397.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/18/2011 at 11:08

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2011 at 11:04
I also like this even better but its not in your price range.
Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Amber Triangle Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR24
  • Matte
  • Amber Triangle
  • 30mm
$844.95 
Trijicon 1.5x16 Compact Acog Rifle Scope Amber Triangle Trijicon 1.5x16 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
Stock # - TA442
  • Amber Triangle
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
$945.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/18/2011 at 11:06

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2011 at 11:08
I have three different configs for mine. For the scenario you have referenced, I use tritium battle sights, or a 1x 24 mm red dot.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
One View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2011 at 19:40
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

First choice because its always turned on.
Stock # - RX3411
  • 4.5 MOA Amber Dot
  • Comes with Weaver Mount
$566.95 
I need to get my hands on one of the reflex sights in person to check them out.  Why do some come with such a big dot?  Wouldn't a 2 moa be better? 
One View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2011 at 19:51
So what would I be looking at price wise for mounts for this?  What do I need?  http://swfa.com/Aimpoint-9000SC-30mm-Red-Dot-Sight-P42393.aspx

I have trijicons on another.. Very good, love it.  That one you linked would be great.  Maybe trade up to one like that in the future. 

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-6x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P47326.aspx  This would be kinda cool to play with.  It would probably be better suited on my .300 win mag though.

Cyborg, I would like to get  some flip up irons in the future.  When all else fails they are nice to have.  For now I'd just like to get going.  Had it for a month, and I'm iching to fire it.
One View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2011 at 21:39
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

A 308 from a 16" barrel is going to be very, very loud, just be aware.  

Big Grin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8rYotiiFP8
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2011 at 02:41
The Aimpoint Micro R-1 has been discontinued, and a few are floating around for low prices, less than $400.  I picked one up for $360 and, while something will have to be done to cover the bright stainless finish, it's the same product as the H-1 other than the color as far as I know.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2011 at 12:00
The  30mm tube Aimpoint can be mounted using any 30mm rings the sky is the limit on price what makes a difference is how high you mount it. Most AR type rifles use ultra high rings.
TPS Tactical Scope 30mm Rings TPS Tactical Scope 30mm Rings
Stock # - TPS30583
  • X-High (1.400")
  • Aluminum Alloy
  • Mil-STD 1913 (Picatinny)
$84.95 
Burris AR-P.E.P.R. 30mm Scope Mount Burris AR-P.E.P.R. 30mm Scope Mount
Stock # - 410341
  • Matte
  • Picatinny Tops
$69.95 

Warne AR15 Flat Top Aluminum 30mm Rings Warne AR15 Flat Top Aluminum 30mm Rings
Stock # - A217LM
  • Matte
  • Ultra High
$68.95 
SWFA Precision Optic 30mm Mount SWFA Precision Optic 30mm Mount
Stock # - SWFA201300
  • Low
  • Slightly Forward
$209.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/20/2011 at 12:04

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic