OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Tripods, sun shades, lens covers, etc.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

$50 bipod?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $50 bipod?
    Posted: April/18/2011 at 12:54
The Stoney Point will need standard sling-swivel stud for attachment, so that could be an issue depending on what fore end you have on your AR.
-Matt
Flanny View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2011 at 12:32
Perfect. That is exactly what I was thinking about.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2011 at 12:06
I use a stoney point rapid-pivot bipod for hunting.  There is nothing better currently available for the backpacking hunter, IMO.  It is actually extremely versatile, and the rubber yoke dampens vibrations well. 

SP Rapid Pivots are inexpensive (Prone model is $30-$40), and would serve well while you save for sturdy tactical model, like a GG&G.

http://swfa.com/GGG-Extreme-Duty-Tactical-Bipod-P12084.aspx
-Matt
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2011 at 10:21
I don't know what a good bipod is for an AR but any I've ever seen for bolt-action rifles that look like Harris knock-offs just seemed cheap and flimsy. +1 on saving up for a better one.
Reaction time is a factor...
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 10:30
Ease of use, sturdiness(ability to maintain setting under fire), durability, adjustability...

Those are the differences...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Flanny View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 10:26
I did use a backpack with a jacket last weekend and it worked fine. I was just curious about the inexpensive bipod. I just wasn't sure what the big difference between a $40 or a $200 unit. I was thinking it was mostly weight.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 09:46
50 Cal

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - April/17/2011 at 10:46
No one
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 00:50
Originally posted by Flanny Flanny wrote:

Is there such a thing as a decent quality bipod for under $50? I am just getting into shooting so I don't have the money to go all out on everything at once.

I have a .223 AR-15 and will pretty much just shoot at paper and steel for the time being.

Not that I am aware of.

And I've looked.  

Extensively.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 00:02
I use a backpack quite a bit.  It is very stable.  One of my backpacks is designed to double as a rifle rest... hard to beat
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2011 at 23:50
Really think you'd be better served using a backpack with a couple of towels in it as a rest and saving up for a good bipod. I've used a couple of lesser quality bipods and you get what you pay for. Not being a dick with the backpack thing. It works pretty well actually.

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Flanny View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2011 at 20:30
Is there such a thing as a decent quality bipod for under $50? I am just getting into shooting so I don't have the money to go all out on everything at once.

I have a .223 AR-15 and will pretty much just shoot at paper and steel for the time being.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic