OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

BALLISTICS A BRIEF READ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BALLISTICS A BRIEF READ
    Posted: April/16/2011 at 13:51
A brief read for everyone, especially Billy j/k it is not a brief read it is 230 pages.  It is a very challenging read or at least the equations are. http://books.google.com/books?id=pX9Tzs7VuSoC&pg=PA221&lpg=PA221&dq=variable+yardage+wind&source=bl&ots=eXyQNDCDfW&sig=INH2sWy7s4Y-sbj1mFu4LsX7bw8&hl=en&ei=2OOpTeukA8Ll0QGR0NXiBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

You can scroll through the entire 230 page book and learn lots of valuable formulas...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - April/16/2011 at 13:52
No one
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2011 at 14:08
Thanks... I think!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2011 at 14:13
I'll look at it.

Perhaps, I'll buy it and look at it.  I ran into David Tubb at SHOT and he is talking about a ballistics concept that I am trying to make sense of.  I've been thinking about getting some background material.  The math I am comfortable with.  What I do not have enough of is practical experience.

ILya
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2011 at 18:38
Also consider Bryan Litz' Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting. That's one of the best I've read. He is a talented engineer who is good at explaining the science in layman's terms. He also focuses on what's important while pointing out why other things aren't.
Reaction time is a factor...
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2011 at 19:09
I am very familiar with Litz's style he is very very logical and uses good word pictures.

I believe he is able to coin his own terms and people can understand them.

He does a gyroscopic discussion or q&a that I have referred people to when they ask why the impact is 9-10" right in a right twist or 9-10" left in a left twist, not including any wind...

He also has a good conceptual diagram(s) of the 100-200 yard yawing stabilizing as it gets further out...

Put some of these practical people together and teach a class and I am there...
No one
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2011 at 20:04
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

Also consider Bryan Litz' Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting. That's one of the best I've read. He is a talented engineer who is good at explaining the science in layman's terms. He also focuses on what's important while pointing out why other things aren't.
You talked me into purchasing that book before I went to Iraq.  Great stuff.  I really enjoyed it.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2011 at 20:09
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

A brief read for everyone, especially Billy j/k it is not a brief read it is 230 pages.  It is a very challenging read or at least the equations are. http://books.google.com/books?id=pX9Tzs7VuSoC&pg=PA221&lpg=PA221&dq=variable+yardage+wind&source=bl&ots=eXyQNDCDfW&sig=INH2sWy7s4Y-sbj1mFu4LsX7bw8&hl=en&ei=2OOpTeukA8Ll0QGR0NXiBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

You can scroll through the entire 230 page book and learn lots of valuable formulas...
This is a great "background" book for ballistics answering many questions of internal and external ballistics, using text, graphics and math to explain the concepts.  Very, very good...   It is a recommended read among the artillery men I associate with.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic