OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

difference between tikka and sako?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2011 at 10:33
tman, i really wish they  hadn't discontinued that laminate stock on the t3, that thing's sharp as a tac :)

thanks everyone for all the info, especially Ted :)  I did, through reading several other articles and sources over the weekend, discover the 2 vs 3  lug bolt difference, and going to sako's site is enough to see how many different actions and chamberings they offer. 

at the moment, i'm probably going to settle for a tikka for the comming hunting season... and save up for a sako grey wolf for next year or the year after. 
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2011 at 18:50
Thanks Dye! .... it actually did not come with that stock. It came with the synthetic stock, but I have a thing for laminated stocks, so I bought it seperate. Big Smile
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 09:00
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I have a Tikka M695

Easily one of my favourite rifles:  fits me well and shoots just about anything great.  The trigger is very nice and the bolt action is smoother than just about any rifle I have seen to date.

It is a very utilitarian looking rifle, but it is comfortable and it shoots.  What more should I ask for?

ILya
Same here.  Got one in .25-06 changed scope last year to a Vortex Viper 4x12x40.  I really like this rig.  With a handloaded Barnes 100g TSX it is VOODOO on whitetails and coyotes.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 10:40
Originally posted by tman1965 tman1965 wrote:

Thanks Dye! .... it actually did not come with that stock. It came with the synthetic stock, but I have a thing for laminated stocks, so I bought it seperate. Big Smile

i've also fallen in love with laminated stocks... i'm still pretty new to the game though, so i'm very leary about buying an aftermarket stock and doing it myself... i am thinking about it for another rifle though :p
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 10:47
Originally posted by Dyelynn Dyelynn wrote:

i've also fallen in love with laminated stocks... i'm still pretty new to the game though, so i'm very leary about buying an aftermarket stock and doing it myself... i am thinking about it for another rifle though :p

You don't have to buy an aftermarket stock.  If you like the laminated stock, it's available as an off-the-shelf option for the Tikka T3...

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 10:58
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by Dyelynn Dyelynn wrote:

You don't have to buy an aftermarket stock.  If you like the laminated stock, it's available as an off-the-shelf option for the Tikka T3...

it's a discontinued model Ted... I was very excited when I found that, until i found out they don't make them anymore.  You can still find them for sale here and there, but the only one i've found in 300wm, which is the chambering i'm looking for, was almost 1k with a crappy scope on it, that I wasn't interested in... and it's used.  I'm still considering it though, lol.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2011 at 12:22
Keep an eye on Gunbroker.com.  Even if you don't find that rifle, you might be able to find a takeoff Tikka laminated stock.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
digisol View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digisol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2013 at 20:12
I have both, a Tikka stainless hunter in 222 and a Sako 85 Varmint in 22:250.
Both guns shoot well but the Sako is a very nice well made piece of engineering that can't be faulted in either manufacture or accuracy, where the Tikka is a bit ordinary looking in most of the machine work with a sloppy fitting bolt, that said it still shoots 1" without fuss, the Sako does much the same at just under 1" with most any factory ammo.
The Price generally relates to what you get in your hands (not always tho) but the Sako is a truly beautiful rifle with a trigger that breaks like glass.
As for shooting the Tikka keeps any other stock hunting rifle very honest and I'm happy to use and own either, the Tikka being a lot lighter to carry in the field than the heavy barrel on the Sako 85 Varmint.
If shopping and you have the cash then grab a Sako, if cash is a criteria then don't worry about grabbing a Tikka, they both shoot well.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will carry guns.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2013 at 23:48
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

my buddy picked up a tikka Stainless Wood 30-06 for a song.....  but he can have it, it kicks like a 300 Mag.  It is beautiful no doubt, but no fun to shoot.  I mean NO FUN!!

Really ?  I have a Tikka 300 WSM and I love shooting it running 190gr SMK at 2900 fps. The most miserable recoil I ever ran across was from a 30-30 winchester with a steel butplate it let you know when you pulled the trigger.  I think a lot of it is just knowing what to expect and working with it but some people really dont  handle recoil and need to stay with .243 or 7mm08,  I guess Im used to it the 300 WSM is my favorite rifle to grab and run play with.   I had a Sako A7 in 300WM and did not like that the magazine was not long enough to chamber maximum length cartridges the factory rounds it would do fine with though and the worksmanship is superb.  I would truely love to have the TRG42 model.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2013 at 11:33
My Sako 75 Hunter is aptly named- it's a perfect hunting rifle. The metal is (was) flawless and the walnut stock is very nice, but not highly figured.  I think Sako made them this way for a reason. The Hunters are really pretty, but their beauty is not so rare that they'd never be carried into the woods.

Hunting with a beautiful rifle adds another dimension of mindfulness to the hunt, as one invariably tries to protect the rifle. To be successful hunting, one must develop and perfect a habit of mindfulness; paying attention, aware of everything.   Again, the Sako Hunter rises to the task, aiding the hunter in the quest for perfection of hunting skills.
     This Sako Hunter is also a .30-06, the perfect caliber. While its hard red recoil pad is very pleasing to the eye and it is very quick mounting to shoulder, this is not a rifle built for firing all day at the range.
Sako thought of everything- this rifle truly is a Hunter and it has the marks and scars to prove it and has never let me down.

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2013 at 13:56
If was doing it all over again, I'd probably have considered getting a Sako M85 Finnlight or an A7 Synthetic. My Tikka T3 Lite, after replacing the Tupperware stock with a custom Manners, fell in between the two costwise. I also replaced the plastic bolt shroud (for no good reason other than it looked cheap). But the rifle is a shooter, great velocities and no quality complaints. The bolt on mine is not sloppy and is much smoother than any Remington I've owned.

I have one complaint. It's not a big deal while hunting, but I hate that when at the range I have to keep taking the magazine out because it will only hold 3 rounds (with one in the chamber). Beretta, which is the U.S. importer charges 3X more for these mags than they should. Note to Beretta: Because of this, don't ever expect me to purchase any other firearm or accessory from you.
Reaction time is a factor...
Porkchop88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porkchop88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2013 at 16:40
I love my Tikka T3 (Top) its in 300 WM once I put a limbsaver on it the gun is a dream to shoot. Under 1" groups @ 100yds with Hornady Whitetail 150gr SP. I enjoy it the way it is. I recommend to most people looking for the best bang for your buck.
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2013 at 05:55
I got a little borred with the black look, so i had some Mossy Oack gun skin send over. Took a couple of hours + but i'm happy. Smile

Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2013 at 07:22
My Sako 75 30-06 is my go to gun. It's the Hunter also...had it for years. I did remove the recoil pad (glued and pinned... what a SOB to remove, and replaced it with a better one). I also picked up a McMillan stock (which I recently had dipped) so it looks kind of sporty too. Shoots very well. Love those Sako's.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2013 at 08:59
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

My Sako 75 30-06 is my go to gun. It's the Hunter also...had it for years. I did remove the recoil pad (glued and pinned... what a SOB to remove, and replaced it with a better one). I also picked up a McMillan stock (which I recently had dipped) so it looks kind of sporty too. Shoots very well. Love those Sako's.

Any photos on the McMillan? What recoil pad did you change to?
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2013 at 10:52
It was a Pachmayr Decelerator. I'll see if I can dig up a pic or two.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2013 at 12:17
Thanks Ric.
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2013 at 13:20
just bought a tikka t3 hunter in .308.   cant wait to take my first deer with it.   
avery View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2014 at 09:29
Did you get the fluted hunter? I have one in 300 WM with a bell and carlson tan with black spider webbing stock lovely looking gun IMO. Also Have a T3 laminate sst chambered in 30-06 with nothing done to it. I love both rifles and I wouldn't trade them for a 85 grey wolf or finlight... Don't get me wrong I have a 85 finlight and its a nice gun but for the extra $$$ i don't see the value in it... The A7 is a different story they price right around the same as a Hunter sst or laminate sst.... It might just be my next rifle purchase... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic