OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

difference between tikka and sako?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: difference between tikka and sako?
    Posted: April/15/2011 at 11:50
i know tikka is made by sako... and i know it's the less expensive of the 2...

i'm wondering why?  specifically, what is different about the 2 rifles that makes the sako that much more expensive.

thanks in advance :)
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2011 at 14:59
It's due to several things:

1.  The Sako receiver requires more machine work due to more complex contours and therefore more time to finish.  Time = money.  The Tikka receiver is geometrically simpler and doesn't require as many machining operations.
2.  Tikka has a lot of plastic, and Sako doesn't.
3.  Tikka bolt is simpler and easier / less expensive to make.
4.  Tikka has a relatively inexpensive molded stock.  Sako wood stocks are quite a bit more expensive, and Sako synthetic stocks are a bit higher quality as well. 
5.  Sako has a bit better finish quality.
6.  Sako has more options, and any product line with more options means smaller production runs for each set of options, which drives up cost.
7.  Along with the various model options, Sako has multiple action lengths scaled to the family of cartridges they are designed for.  Tikka only has one action length.

Anytime you have a simpler design, few options, few variations, and less time required to produce, cost is lower because you are able to produce more of the same thing without setup changes in production equipment and production rate per unit is faster.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2011 at 15:34
+1 to what Ted said. Tikka uses about every known manufacturing "short-cut" to save $. I've had three...now I only do Sako's. Wink
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2011 at 19:29
I've never liked the "feel" of any Tikka I've ever shouldered. Felt like a Sako knock off, too me.
Tikka's shoot well though and some folks love them, so there's that. 

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2011 at 20:18
...............about a thousand dollars.....
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2011 at 21:24
my buddy picked up a tikka Stainless Wood 30-06 for a song.....  but he can have it, it kicks like a 300 Mag.  It is beautiful no doubt, but no fun to shoot.  I mean NO FUN!!
take em!
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2011 at 10:37
thanks everyone :P  even Ed...

i know tikka has a 2 lug bolt, but not much else about it... what's the sako bolt?  i've read elsewhere that the sako action is pretty good... among the best even.  and that their out-of-the-box accuracy is very favorably comparable to much higher priced custom rifles.  do you folks agree with those sentiments?

tip, i put a limbsaver on my son's tikka lite SS in .270 and it shoots like  dream, granted smaller bullet, lighter charge, but my rem721 30.06 feels much, much heavier in comparison.
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2011 at 11:34
Sako is the cat's whiskers.  I don't know about their "new"  stuff........the model 75, 85, etc. 

But Tikka is fantastic.  Just don't buy a flyweight.....like---- don't buy a 5 1/2 pound Kimber.................DUH!!!  

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2011 at 22:12
I'm a beliver in Limbsavers..... I'll tell him!
take em!
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 07:31
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

I'm a beliver in Limbsavers..... I'll tell him!

Or Kick-Eze!

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 09:50
I have a Tikka M695

Easily one of my favourite rifles:  fits me well and shoots just about anything great.  The trigger is very nice and the bolt action is smoother than just about any rifle I have seen to date.

It is a very utilitarian looking rifle, but it is comfortable and it shoots.  What more should I ask for?

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 11:35
Originally posted by Dyelynn Dyelynn wrote:

i know tikka has a 2 lug bolt, but not much else about it... what's the sako bolt?  i've read elsewhere that the sako action is pretty good... among the best even.  and that their out-of-the-box accuracy is very favorably comparable to much higher priced custom rifles.  do you folks agree with those sentiments?

Sako has a 3 lug bolt w/ 60-deg bolt handle travel.  The 3 lug design began with the M75 and continued with the M85 and A7.  Prior to those, all Sakos had 2 lug bolts with 90-deg bolt lift.

The Tikka 695 Koshkin mentions is a similar rifle to the T3 in terms of the action design.  Currently, Tikka only offers the T3 model; the 695 is discontinued.  The 595/695 series were a bit more costly to make than the current T3, which is why they were discontinued.  The T3 uses more plastic (for example, in the magazine) than the 595/695 did.  I feel the 595/695 rifles had smoother bolt operation and better fit and finish.  Stock design was totally different.  The 595/695 had a more contoured stock, whereas the T3 has a more simplistic stock design.  The 595/695 had 2 different action lengths whereas the T3 has only 1 action length.  The 595/695 had a side mounted magazine release vs. the mag release on the bottom of the stock for the T3.  The T3 is designed to reduce costs wherever possible, so it lacks some of the refinements of the Sakos or even the previous 595/695 Tikkas.  That doesn't mean it's a bad rifle, and in fact it is a good, dependable, generally accurate rifle; just a no-frills rifle.  It was designed first and foremost to reduce costs wherever possible so it occupies a different market niche than the Sako 85 does. 

The Sako A7 was also designed to cut costs vs. the 85, but it competes in a price category between the Tikka T3 and Sako 85, and unlike the T3 and 85, is offered in a synthetic stock only version.

As far as accuracy is concerned, on average, you probably wouldn't see any difference between the average Sako and the average Tikka.  The barrels are all made on the same equipment in the same factory, and they use the same trigger units.

Edited by RifleDude - April/17/2011 at 11:46
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 11:46
The rifle I probably shoot the most is a Tikka T3 in 300 WSM it's accurate and deadly whats not to like.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 14:06
I love everything about the Sako's (except the price).

I've only seen the Tikka T3 Lite, though I like the smooth action I feel just the opposite about the stock. 
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 14:42
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

I've only seen the Tikka T3 Lite, though I like the smooth action I feel just the opposite about the stock. 

Exactly...... 
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 15:13
I have a walnut stocked M695.  I don't care for the lightweight T3.  Who would want to shoot one?  A six and a half pound 300 Magnum???!!!    Shocked    

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 15:24
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

I have a walnut stocked M695.  I don't care for the lightweight T3.  Who would want to shoot one?  A six and a half pound 300 Magnum???!!!    Shocked    

No doubt. 

My Sako M75 stainless/synthetic in .300 Winnie weighed more and still would knock the taste out yer mouth with recoil.  
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 15:54
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Mine is a synthetic stock 695 chambered for 280Rem.

tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2011 at 17:11
I love my t3 in 308. laser accurate and smooth as wet ice!
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2011 at 08:57
Actually I have three of the T3 rifles and I dont mind the recoil at all but then I dont mind the recoil of my .375 H&H Encore either and its a tad light for that caliber.  I guess I got used to the recoil since I had my first  30-06 at age 5 I'd been shooting for two years by then. Guns with no recoil like 9mm are hardly any fun to shoot at all there is just no challenge to it, probably why I dont have a .204 or a 22-250

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic