OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Glass IOR /Premier

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glass IOR /Premier
    Posted: April/14/2011 at 10:35
  I have finally decided to step up a bit and spring for more optic.  The current 2.5-10 IOR new generation has almost all the features I like and IMO great glass.  For the uses this rifle is seeing, I want more magnification.  It's still a "tactical" type rifle for me so going to a 5x on the bottom is questionable, so 3 or 4 on the bottom will still be great for me.

Now I am thinking of either the new 3-18x50 IOR, or a 3-15x50 Premier Gen2 MTC.  The first question is glass quality/clarity.  I feel a bit spoiled by my current glass so anything I purchase has to as good or better.  Can anyone comment on the glass, or am I looking in the wrong direction? 

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2011 at 10:39
Premier.  Accordign to those rare few who have both or have used them all the order goes, Hensoldt, Premier, everything else
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2011 at 10:39
PREMIER! They are all around a very great optic. The IOR is good but in my opinion the Premier is a step above the IOR.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2011 at 12:23
You've chosen a couple scopes that are pretty close in some respects. Often one of the negatives of the Premier is the weight, but the IOR is 35 oz., which is only three less. I'd bet the glass is going to be pretty close. But despite IOR's improvements to build quality, it is unlikely to be as durable as the Premier and it's hard to rival the well-designed functionality of the Premier. However, you've really got to be hard on scopes to worry about damaging something like the IOR. The bottom line is probably the bottom line.

One thing to note is the spec that the IOR has a field of view on the low end of 69.3 feet @ 100 yds. That figure has to be wrong. The Premier is listed @ 38.4 feet. S & B claims 30.06 feet for the PMII 3-12X50, and Hensoldt claims 35.1 feet for the 3-12X56 FFP. There's no way IOR has figured out a way to double the best efforts of the best scope makers in the world so somewhere a conversion error has been made. I also saw it on the IOR Valdada website so that's probably where the info came from.
Reaction time is a factor...
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2011 at 12:25
If money is no concern then the Premier would be better.  It ought to be at $1300ish more money.  But IOR makes a pretty decent scope with excellent glass if you don't have the cash.  Also if you are in the $2000 market check out the Vortex Razor.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2011 at 13:43
I've used them all, Premier is an all-around better optic than IOR in many respects.

I have the 2.5-10 IOR which, in reality, is a 4-10X since it tunnels from 2.5-4X (and I absolutely hate tunneling.)  The 3-18 IOR I had tunneled too (and remember, I hate tunneling.)  The Premier 3-15 doesn't tunnel in the least. None.

As for glass, IOR's stuff is quite good, but not as good as Premier - or my 3-18X was not. Nor is my current 2.5-10.

For build quality, I am supremely confident in Premier, less so in IOR. I understand they have come a long way since screwing up the first 3-18Xs about 5 years ago, but loss of confidence is loss of confidence.  My Premier has been going strong for awhile now, no hiccups, no issues of any kind.

At this price point, I'd look at Hensoldt too.  Glass is arguably a little better than Premier in some respects, and eye box is superior.  They have had illumination issues (mine and at least a few others I know of), but are still quite good scopes.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
opeagle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2011 at 13:47
 Or:

We can look at it this way.

Mil/Mil
 FFP
 Illumination
 Zero Stop
 Enhanced Reticle (Of Some Sort)
 Quality Glass
 Good to great internals, easy to use knobs
 Solid feature set
 $2500 ish
 3-4 on the bottom end, as much as possible on the top without sacrificing.

I know there is a decent price difference between the IOR and the Premier, but I want to get all I can for the dollars I have.
 Am I missing another scope I should really give a look?

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2011 at 13:59
The new Steiner scopes are going to be close to your price range.  But they are not quite available yet.

http://swfa.com/Steiner-Riflescopes-C3516.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2011 at 14:04
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

The new Steiner scopes are going to be close to your price range.  But they are not quite available yet.

http://swfa.com/Steiner-Riflescopes-C3516.aspx
Good call.  Those should be quite awesome!
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2011 at 14:07

opeagle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2011 at 14:11
 Looks like $2500 - $3000 gets a lot of good options opened up.

I do need to have this project buttoned up late May, early June for a class I have mid June.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2011 at 14:36
If you can stand getting away from the uber-strong features of the full-blown Premier, the Premier light-tac, and hunting models are coming out this summer too. The projected price range of these is going to be $1600-$1800. With most of the features of the Heritage 3-15, in a lighter handier package, the light tactical is the one that has me saving my pennies!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2011 at 14:38
Premier Heritage 3-15x50 Hunter 30mm RiflescopePremier Heritage 3-15x50 Hunter 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - PRH11004
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Gen II XR
  • 30mm
  • Counter-Clockwise
$1,650.00
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2011 at 14:44
opeagle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2011 at 14:51
 The hunter may well be great but the covered turrets do not fit the bill.

stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2011 at 15:09
The lite tactical will have exposed turrets,due out 1st week in July @$2050.Glass is identical to the 3-15 Heritage.This looks to be a real steal at 22 ozs.I got this 2 weeks ago from Paul at Premier.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2011 at 15:14
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

Premier Heritage 3-15x50 Hunter 30mm RiflescopePremier Heritage 3-15x50 Hunter 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - PRH11004
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Gen II XR
  • 30mm
  • Counter-Clockwise
$1,650.00
SWEET   I Want One

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2011 at 15:14
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2011 at 15:30
The Premier Light Tactical will be a very competitive scope. While it doesn't have the elevation of the the Heritage, most of us don't need that. It will be enough in almost all circumstances (and believe me I've run a variety of elevations, temperature changes, and BCs through JBM) to get a .308 round or anything similar to 1000 yards or more. In fact, if I was at sea level with my typical load, facing a temperature of 0 deg. F, I could still make a 1000 yards.

I plumb forgot about the LT regarding this thread, but as those guys mentioned above, it would be well worth considering.

One minor note: I believe the weight of the LT will be 26 oz. The Hunter is 24. That may seem heavy to some, but the Heritage is 38 and the IOR is 35 oz. Even the much smaller NF 2.5-10X32 is 19.5 oz.
Reaction time is a factor...
opeagle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2011 at 15:58
 Your optics thoughts is, well awesome and thanks for the reminder to read Part 2.

If the Light Tactical could be in my hand the 1st week of June I could wait, but that's pushing my class date.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic