OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IOR 2-12x32 - magnification adjustment stiff!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJMcMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOR 2-12x32 - magnification adjustment stiff!
    Posted: April/13/2011 at 12:55
Hi all -

I bought an IOR 2-12x32 a few months ago and am having problems adjusting the magnification....the knob seems EXTREMELY stiff.  Everything's fine once I've got it moving, but getting it moving initially is difficult.  Suggestions?  Is this a 'break-in' issue, or something I need to consider returning to the manufacturer?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2011 at 13:40
the "grease" inside it may need some time to work in.  I'd give IOR a call and see what their recommendation is.  I've had that same issue with other scopes and a couple squirts of WD-40 around the ring solved my problems.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2011 at 13:54
My IOR 4-14X50 had a stiff power ring when new, but over time it became easier to rotate.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
MJMcMahon View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJMcMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2011 at 13:54
Thx, SVT....I actually did call IOR and they said that it was something related to the nitrogen pressure inside the tube and that even working it in would not work for long because the pressure against the o-ring would cause it to stiffen again over time.  Looking into an MGM Switchview or similar to give me a little more torque.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2011 at 13:58
you could always try the WD40, may have to reapply but if it works it works
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2011 at 14:07
Send it back.  Valdada should get you a new scope.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2011 at 14:16
Originally posted by MJMcMahon MJMcMahon wrote:

I actually did call IOR and they said that it was something related to the nitrogen pressure inside the tube and that even working it in would not work for long because the pressure against the o-ring would cause it to stiffen again over time. 

That sounds like major b.s. to me.  Scopes aren't under great internal pressure, and o-rings have very tiny surface area.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
MJMcMahon View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJMcMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2011 at 14:53
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by MJMcMahon MJMcMahon wrote:

I actually did call IOR and they said that it was something related to the nitrogen pressure inside the tube and that even working it in would not work for long because the pressure against the o-ring would cause it to stiffen again over time. 

That sounds like major b.s. to me.  Scopes aren't under great internal pressure, and o-rings have very tiny surface area.
yeah, it sounded a little wonky to me too
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2011 at 20:23
Send It back,it's a new scope.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2011 at 15:18
It should get a fair bit lighter with use.

If it does not, send it back and make them fix it. 

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic