OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

175gr SMK

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 175gr SMK
    Posted: April/11/2011 at 14:48
During initial load work up on my recent barrel swap, I found a few loads that are worth further development. My question is what are yall running as far as "jump" into the lands?
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 16:40
Thanks to Remington's lawyers, my lands are so far away they might be at the muzzle. So I've never even been able to try it. But from what I've been reading from Bryan Litz who designs Berger's bullets, it's really only secant ogive bullets that require that kind of tinkering. According to his book, the SMK is purely a tangent ogive bullet. So while seating variations might make a difference it would probably be because of pressure/velocity changes.

Incidentally, he has designed two new bullet types for Berger that attempt to combine some of the best of both designs. One is a hybrid tangent/secant ogive. The other bullet is their new tactical 175, which is a tangent ogive bullet, but as you can see it is a touch longer than the SMK (shown in red) and the boat tail angle is a tad less while its length is greater:

I'm not endorsing either, although I'm interested in trying the tactical 175 because it is supposed to have good trans-sonic performance. It's just interesting to compare projectiles and see what's being developed.

Edited by jonoMT - April/11/2011 at 16:42
Reaction time is a factor...
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 16:51
175 SMKs are pretty easy going that way.  I moved mine all around and never really saw any difference in accuracy one way or the other.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 17:03
I just got a hold of  the Sierra manual and found out I can go up 1 whole grain! I tested up to Hodgdon's book max of 65gr. with no pressure signs, but Sierra has there max at 66gr. so now have a few more rounds to make.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2011 at 09:05
Biggest problem Sierra and Berger has is Hornady. With amax's shooting as well and 6 to 10 bucks cheaper both need something new and shiny. 
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2011 at 09:10
The only reason I started loading the SMK's to begin with is the fact that AMAX's were out of stock... EVERYWHERE! And since I had some on hand, and the new barrel, and a match this coming weekend! Kind of doing the whole load development thing in a rush!Bucky
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2011 at 10:18
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

Biggest problem Sierra and Berger has is Hornady. With amax's shooting as well and 6 to 10 bucks cheaper both need something new and shiny. 

Or more around $20 cheaper in the case of some of the Bergers! I'm used to paying for Nosler Accubonds so having to layout 50 cents for a bullet doesn't bother me that much. But I can sure see the attraction of the A-Max.
Reaction time is a factor...
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2011 at 10:27
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

I'm used to paying for Nosler Accubonds

Those are the ones that get me.  I just don't see the point at all for the price.  I have killed many of elk with the Remington Corelock bullets.  I killed one with an Accubond and it died just the same as the other bullets.  The wound channels did not even appear different to me.  Guess I am just a cheapo though.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2011 at 12:51

thats not correct.
its more like $3 difference between sierra and hornady.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2011 at 15:46
not around here easy $5 on smk and higher on berger. even $3 makes a difference when used in the 1000's

Edited by Dale Clifford - April/12/2011 at 15:47
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2011 at 08:17

not around here easy $5 on smk and higher on berger. even $3 makes a difference when used in the 1000's

if you order them from graf's they are cheaper. for a box of 100 the hornady's are only $3 cheaper. if your talking 500 bullets its $7 difference. plus you get free shippingBig Grin
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic