OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Redfield Ultimate Illuminator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Redfield Ultimate Illuminator
    Posted: April/11/2011 at 11:04
Anyone have one of these? How are they? How do they compare to modern day scopes? For some reason I really like the look of these scopes, and have wanted one for a while, but unfortunately I've not found one for sale for what I'm willing to pay.

A friend has one, but doesn't really have anything nice to compare it to. Most of his other scopes are Simmons like the Whitetail Classic, and Tasco's like the World Class. I got to compare it in low light to them, and while the Redfield seemed clearer when looking at an object, it didn't seem much if any brighter which really surprised me. I'm super curious as to how it would compare to something like a Burris FFII or Leupold VX-II or similar now, but unfortunately, I've never had one of my scopes next to his to compare. I may have to take one of mine over there to compare, but I wondered if in the mean time if anyone else had one and had compared them to other scopes.

Are these worth picking up if I find one reasonable, or are they not as good as what I can get from a similar priced scope now adays?

I did find one at a local gun shop on a used Remington 700 7mm Mag rifle with a nice laminate stock. They want $700 for the combo, but I don't want to rifle, so I don't plan to buy it. I tried to get them to separate the scope from the rifle and sell me just the scope, but they wouldn't do it. Apparently no one else wants this rifle either as it's been there for months.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 11:42

I have two of them one leo version and one hunting version.

They do not have much adjustment of elevation and the they do not have positive clicks.

The glass  is not quite as bright as newer glass as they did not do the coatings and other things the field of view usually is bigger or wider and with the higher value of x50mm or 56mm or 60mm usually allows better light gathering but still isn't quite as bright or as my eyes believe as light colored without hue.

I believe even though I think others dispute they offer a seemingly wider field of view which alone is awesome...

While some say once they left Colorado they became crap I do not think so the Japanese manufactured ones to me seem even  brighter and crisper.

I know another forum member knows about the quality of the glass so I will let him chime in.

I believe them to have better contrast and less chromatic aberration.

I do not have the scientific info about why but my thoughts are because  they do not have the modern day coatings to distort the wavelengths while this is peer speculation and is probably not right.

My thoughts are i put my confidence in they from 223 bolt 527 cz to 243 bolt Steyr forester to 270 and 280 Steyr prohunters to a Steyr ssg 69 I absolutely love these old scopes.

I am hoping you get some more feedback I know a few other members try to steal them as I do when we see them at the shows.

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - April/11/2011 at 13:49
No one
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 18:38
" ..............old scopes....."     

Eek   [ I remember when they came out!!! ]  

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 18:43
Older scopes older scopes I meant a older scopes than the 2011 releases or a few decades ago releases... A sorry Big Ed or a Young Ed...
No one
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 18:53
Well they are thirty to fifteen years old now.....!!!   Laugh

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 19:01
Ouch

Smoking Bandit

No one
eurolynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eurolynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2011 at 06:53
I had a Denver made Ultimate Illuminatior in 56mm with a 30mm tube.  Had to pay a bill and it was all I had to sell at the time biggest mistake I ever made!

The optics were not as bright as modern computer technology produced optics of the 'New Millennium' era.  But for the time it was made, it was bright enough even compared to today's scopes, and had a very clear and wide view.   The place I sold it to got a deal $500. and that was in 2005.

If it is a Denver model and had been taken care of, I would say get it if you can.
"Guns aren't toys! They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
Rothstein1987 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2011 at 01:50
Although mine arent the Ultimate Illuminators just the widefield I love them I think they have a very nice fov good clarity and overall just a well made scope with the only drawback not being a positive click... I would recommend it highly unless your opted to consistantly be playing with elevation.. Bucky
Mausers forever

That was great but can you do it again??
Digit View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2011 at 15:39
They are still available new - pm me for the stores name.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2011 at 15:53

The first scope I ever used was an illuminator on a friends rifle. I have since had 2 of them and I remember them to be pretty nice scopes! I never did any kind of comparison with them but I dont think I would hesitate to grab one if I got the chance.

IRON MIKE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRON MIKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2011 at 17:45
    The 3x12x56 is a good scope. One of Redfields better efforts.they used an aspherical lense in the inverter system along with that 56mm objective to transfer as much light as possible for that system. They were ahead of there time and now we see there principals being put into the latest high end scopes on todays market.
Rothstein1987 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2011 at 02:39
Well Slow it seems all signs other than 1 point to yes haha
Mausers forever

That was great but can you do it again??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic