OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Trijicon Accupoint owners: which reticle?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tntxfour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trijicon Accupoint owners: which reticle?
    Posted: April/10/2011 at 19:05
I am torn between the Trijicon 3x9 Accupoint red triangle and the crosshair green dot for hunting whitetails. Which is best.  Thanks in advance.  Tim
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 19:38
Opinions vary.  I have a hard time placing rounds as precisely with the triangle reticle. (I should also state that I have owed both the triangle and the mil dot versions.)  The triangle is faster on target, no doubt, and has more illumination; however, it covers more of the target, and the illumination can be an issue in very low light.

I prefer the mil dot, someone will soon pipe up that prefers the triangle.  in the end, both are fantastic scopes and either will serve you well.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - April/11/2011 at 09:26
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 19:39
I am in same boat
Have owned both, prefer and still use a Mildot / green dot 3-9
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

brilite View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brilite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 19:54
Hi,
Rancid is correct.  I am piping up. 
I just bought a red triangle.  It is my first scope without a crosshair reticle and I like it a lot.
The reticle appears clean (no lines, dots or circles) to me, just a post and triangle.  I like the red because it really stands out against the background where I hunt.  Low light illumination was good.
Rancid is correct again.  I don't think you can go wrong with either.  It's really a matter of preference.
Brian

tntxfour View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tntxfour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 20:10
Most of my shots will be well within 200 yards so I am leaning towards the red triangle.  I wish Trijicon offered a red dot reticle.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 20:36
Originally posted by tntxfour tntxfour wrote:

Most of my shots will be well within 200 yards so I am leaning towards the red triangle.  I wish Trijicon offered a red dot reticle.

I've Trijicon scopes with both red and green chevron reticles on my AR, but for "deer hunting"... I think you'd be very happy with the green (perhaps even the amber) dot reticle.   Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
tntxfour View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tntxfour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 20:50
Is the green color an issue against a green background such as trees and foliage?
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 20:51
The red triangle is for bright conditions, as is the green. For hunting the amber seems to work best for me. I have both red and amber and much prefer amber at dawn and dusk. I have the triangles, btw. They offer a cleaner view and quicker aiming.
http://windrockphotography.com
"Do you really think the deer cares what kinda pants you was wearin'?" Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinni
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 22:02
    I have the green mil dot. It isn't an issue with green back grounds. Amber and red are probably fine as well in this reticle. The dot is tiny. I use mine at night for hog hunting. For precise aiming. I'd go with the mil dot in whatever color you like.
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 23:19
I prefer the crosshair/green dot set-up, personally can't stand the chevrons..................
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 07:38
I have the green triangle and like it. The point / tip of the triangle makes an adequate aiming point for me. To each his own I guess.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
tntxfour View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tntxfour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 08:32
So the green Mil dot seems to be the most popular for hunting.  Interesting.  I would have guessed that that the triangles would have been the obvious choice. 

Now I will have to look at the mil dot vs the standard green dot crosshair and choose!  Any particular reason you guys chose the mil dot?  I am guessing for holdover for longer shots?

Thanks again for all of the replies!

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 09:34
Mil dots are nice for drop or wind, but be aware these scopes are SFP, so either the math gets complicated, or only use at the designated setting.

My green mil dot was used for all-around hunting in the day (with the fiber optic window closed, there is no illumination visible - which I liked) and the center dot is perfect for night hunting (only the very center of the cross hairs illuminates, for a very fine aiming point.)

The cross hair reticle would be good too, if you find no utility in the mil dot.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 10:13
I have only used the green color.  I had a green horseshoe ACOG and a Accupoint Triangle.  I used the green in all lighting and thought it worked very well for hunting and general shooting.  I never had any trouble seeing the reticle in any light.  Great scopes with great glass.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
tntxfour View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tntxfour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 13:19
How big is the triangle at 100 yards?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 14:15
I believe the base of the triangle covers 4MOA at 4X.

Choice of reticle is a personal thing.  To each his own.  I personally like the BAC triangle.  It's extremely fast at close range and is immediately visible even in good light.  At short range, you just plaster the whole triangle on the target without worrying about shooting high.   At long range, you use the very tip of the triangle for precision aiming.  The triangle reticle is obviously not as good for holdovers as the mil dot, and doesn't have the ranging capability, so in that respect, the mil dot is superior for long range.  From the standpoint of reticle subtension, no dot (one that's still visible, at least), no matter how small, is as fine as a sharp point; it can't be.  A dot with crosshairs will always cover more of the target than an aiming point that terminates at a sharp point.  The triangle provides a very clean, unobstructed sight picture. 

Most shooters are accustomed to using conventional crosshairs, so the triangle takes some getting used to.  Because it's a radical departure from the familiar, many can't warm up to it.   Trijicon introduced the various crosshair/dot reticles in response to complaints about the triangle.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 14:41
I have mixed feelings on this and believe that how you hunt determines which is the best choice. For fast action moving targets dangerous game I think the Post with illuminated triangle is ideal.  If you are a precision shooter you will like the #4 the standard crosshair with illuminated dot or the Mildot version because they do give a very precise aiming point.  When working with a post triangle version sighting in I tend to use my left hand to alter light conditions adding shade over the fiber optic. It does have a rotating metal cover that can be used to do the same thing.  In actual use however for hunting I believe the amber is generally the favorite.  I do find amber washes out when pointed toward street lights at night. The green is likely to appear the brightest.  All three colors work well next time you see a stoplight those are your three color choices pick one. I strongly prefer the 2.5-10x56 over the 3-9 version but thats just me and I really notice a difference between 2.5 and 3x which is why I like it.  I think the 1-4x would be a great optic for hunting out to 200 yds as there is very little issue with trajectory and it would come on target very fast. One other thing about the 2.5-10x56 is that even at 10x it will have a 5.6mm exit eye pupil and be very bright under low light / night conditions.  The mil dot gives you hold over points as well as a means to rangefind distance which you may or may not feel a need for.  I find that supply is somewhat limited on some models as they are very popular so I suggest you call to determine the one you want is in stock. The glass in these is very nice I really like them.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
vpsmitty View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpsmitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 15:04
I have the 5-20 with green Mil-dot.  I absolutley love it.  My shooting is mostly long range, low light.  The deer season in CA is from Aug-Oct and it is hot.  Deer are only out for a few minutes During the day, you can adjust the green fiber optic so you don't even see it and it is more of a traditional mil-dot reticle.  The green is nice and bright in lower light and I have never had a problem with washout against bright green grassy hillsides.  Great scope.  IF you are hunting short range, quick shots, maybe you would prefer the post-triangle combo.  Good Luck!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 15:04
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

If you are a precision shooter you will like the #4 the standard crosshair with illuminated dot or the Mildot version because they do give a very precise aiming point. 

I keep hearing that statement being made, but logically, how can that be possible?  How can something round provide a finer aiming point than an arrow shape that terminates to a sharp point, if you're aiming with the very tip of the point, as you should be?  Think of it in the same way as a knife blade... there's no way a rounded edge can be as sharp as an angle that terminates to a very fine point.

I have a thick German #1 post reticle in the scope on my .300 mag.  It has the same pointed profile at the top of the post as the Accupoint triangle, and despite the post being extremely thick, I'm able to shoot .5 MOA groups with that rifle on a pretty regular basis because the thick post is only there to lead your eye to the tip of the point.  If I can see it, I can aim at it, no matter how small.  Without a post or crosshair continuing vertically in the 12:00 position, the upper portion of the field is totally unobstructed. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 17:01
sorry cant resize or crop my computer died ----
There I fixed it some I had problems with the camera then once I got some really rough photos a bit out of focus Whacko the computer died and would not come on at all so I got it repaired and just got it back but I am still having some issues with it not wanting to read photo files. Head Banger

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/12/2011 at 12:05

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic