OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Midland 30-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Midland 30-06
    Posted: April/09/2011 at 16:57
I got a new project Rifle today needs some  tlc but I got my way with a true Mauser 98 action here it is as I got it
Mausers forever

That was great but can you do it again??
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2011 at 23:12
looks pretty good to me...!!     Big Grin

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Rothstein1987 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2011 at 02:11
She needs some tlc with the stock and deserves a better scope than that tasco haha
Mausers forever

tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2011 at 09:53
Nice looking 98! Excellent
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2011 at 02:44
I know right? Loving the nickel bolt now the only question is how ridiculous do I get with the mods? haha the Floor plate is going to become bronze since its aluminum cause I liked how well your rings turned out.. Thanks haha most likely the trigger group will be changed out with a timney or something ofa 8oz nature then its  on to keeping the Lightweight barrel and factory stock or go all out with a full 1" and syn  stock or a Boyds Varmint Target Laminet stock (Fajen like model like on the 25) Im on the fence haha

Edited by Rothstein1987 - April/15/2011 at 03:08
Mausers forever

powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2011 at 06:35
Nice ! I rembeer seeing those advertised some years ago. Is that a santa barbara action ,or yugo/mark x? Either way a nice score.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2011 at 08:16
nice looking wood thereBig Grin
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2011 at 23:10
Got some work done on the stock thinkin a rosewood end cap and grip cover would really dress it up... Had to keep some character marks to remind me that its a hunting rifle though haha what do you guys think so far?
Mausers forever

Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 15:27
Nice job!
Get yourself a nice squishy recoil pad; something like a Kick- Eze.
It'll prove it's worth after a long day at the range.
I love .30-06s. That's my favorite flavor, but it can spank you from a bench over time, especially with those 200 gr. Noslers and 208 gr. A-Maxs I like to send down range.

(Did I just set myself up for a snide remark from Kickboxer?)
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 04:08
Haha no im not lookin for a target rifle with this one... Its my iron sights hunting rifle... I would not want to have to replace the Parker Hale buttplate seems to be a Midland barrel on a Mauser 98 action with a Parker Hale stock floor plate and butt plate... Kind of a conglomeration of sorts haha but its lookin better and almost done Big Grin
Mausers forever

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 06:13
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

Nice job!
Get yourself a nice squishy recoil pad; something like a Kick- Eze.
It'll prove it's worth after a long day at the range.
I love .30-06s. That's my favorite flavor, but it can spank you from a bench over time, especially with those 200 gr. Noslers and 208 gr. A-Maxs I like to send down range.

(Did I just set myself up for a snide remark from Kickboxer?)

I was just thinking that those must be remarkably mild rounds...  eh, when you are talking a "long day at the range" you are thinking something on the order of 4-500 rounds,  right???

I've not shot but a couple of the 208gr A-Max... seems like interesting variable capabilities. 

I really like the rifle, BTW.  Looks great.

Amaze your friends... use a piece of stainless steel for a recoil "pad"...

I actually fired an 8mm Mauser a couple of months ago that had a 1/2 inch steel plate, custom fit for a "recoil pad"... it was GREAT...

Edited by Kickboxer - May/04/2011 at 06:17
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2011 at 13:23
Maybe a rosewood buttplate... Otherwise I just got done cleanin up the old PH one
Mausers forever

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2011 at 11:43
All that and it's a Parker Hale? Just keeps getting better...

The 208 gr. A-Max is showing great promise for me so far, but everybody has been jacking the prices up, lately or else they're out of stock.

The only thing about the steel butt plate on my '03-A3 is, it makes a dark spot on my t-shirt after a couple hunnerd...
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2011 at 13:18
I only shoot Sierras since my uncle is their production manager I got represent for them haha.. Plus hella good deals Big Grin
Mausers forever

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2011 at 17:26
I do hope you understand I was only kidding...

Let's see, this thing has a bit of a "kick" to it... I know, let's put a piece of IRON on it as a shoulder pad... yep, that should fix it right up...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2011 at 14:22
I would do it... It really doesnt have that much of a kick to it and IF I did find a  very interesting iron buttplate for it why not??  Should we do Rosewood or Ebony Fore cap and End cap?
Mausers forever

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2011 at 18:11
Get a metal or wood butt plate but use a piece of svl in between,works very well!!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2011 at 20:30
Im thinking that I will just stick with the parker hale butt plate... It isnt in that bad of shape and something has to remind me its a hunting rifle since the character marks are getting removed now haha...
Mausers forever

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2011 at 11:51
Originally posted by Rothstein1987 Rothstein1987 wrote:

I only shoot Sierras since my uncle is their production manager I got represent for them haha.. Plus hella good deals Big Grin
Great deals on Sierra?
Don't forget your buds on the forum, just in case you happen to (ahem) overstock yourself!
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2011 at 13:10
Overstock? I dont know what that means lol How do you overstock yourself on bullets? Big Grin
Mausers forever

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic