OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA 10X parallax problem ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA 10X parallax problem ?
    Posted: April/09/2011 at 01:22
Just received my SWFA 10x scope today.  Looks great but view through scope is not good.  The rear focus ring works but the image beyond approximately 200 yards is totally out of focus.  I have seen nothing but good reviews on these which is why I chose SWFA.  I have looked through several other scopes and the parallax adjustment seemed to work well on all.  I think I may have gotten the only bad SWFA scope in the bunch.  Any advice from anyone out there?  I plan on contacting SWFA on monday to see what my options are.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 01:48
Just curious, how are you determining the range? And welcome to the OT!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 08:36
Make sure you are using it correctly. Dial a little back and forth. If it is not able to get clear return it the parallax on mine works great.
Gerald Baker
murdoc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 13:57
I am just estimating the range. I am going back and forth with the rear focus and at a certain distance, which I estimate to approx. 200 yards, it will not focus on anything beyond that point.  I was expecting that the view would be as if looking through my 10X binocs, where everthing is reasonably clear out to 1000+ yards.  Beyond my approx. 200 yard view, everything is blurry with no ability to focus. I know that this scope should be better.  Hopefully it can be exchanged.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 14:25
personal opinion here but you are probably underestimating the range. While anything mechanical can fail, the QC on the S.S. is pretty good. I would suggest trying a bit more precise means of verifying range.  
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 14:42
Quick questsion:
Are you comfortable with the difference between ocular focus and the a parralax adjustment?

First the ocular focus adjsutments must be made, that is, using the ocular to focus the reticle to it's sharpest image.  From there the parallax adjustment should work to bring the target into focus.

Regarding range markings on the parallax, those things should never have had range marks on them, it's a guide and largly influenced by individual eye sight.  Ignore them and them see if the target image can be brought into focus.
murdoc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 15:27

I am pretty good at estimating range and have verified it using an app on my smart phone, crude but tells me I am in the ballpark, so I know that I am trying to focus on objects between approx. 60 yards and 600 yards.  I don't know if this would work, but I would like to know if anyone can get a measurement from their 10X SS on from the inside of the sun shield.  Measure the distance from the objective lense edge to the edge of the sunshade.  I believe that the focal length on my scope was not set properly. This might or might not confirm.

308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 16:02
Let me see if I am understanding you correctly.
  1. You have used scopes with parallax adjustments before and know what you are doing.
  2. You are able to use the parallax adjustment for objects between 60 and 200 yards.
  3. Beyond 200 yards the parallax adjustments stop working.
  4. You believe your objective lens is not set in the right spot.

1. I will assume you have since you said you have.
  2. If this is the case how far out is your dial saying it is at 200 yds. i.e. is it almost all the way to 500 or infinity or back close to the 200 ref mark.
  3. Does the parallax  knob have plenty of adjustment left after 200 yds.
  4. Forget about this. Unless that lens is way off there should be room for adjustment inside. MY adj objective scopes move the objective lens quite a bit.

Here is my suggestion. Start at square one. Adjust your reticle and get it in focus with your eye against either a blue sky or white wall. Then start looking out at objects again and adjust parallax to see if it brings that object in focus. Next check the reference marks on the parallax adjustments. If your way off on the reference marks then there is something wrong. Such as if you have to be at 400 yds ref line for 100 yd target. Not if your 200 yd target is sitting half way between the 200 and 300 ref line.

If you can't get it to focus after that then send it back and they will replace it.
Gerald Baker
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 16:16
Originally posted by murdoc murdoc wrote:

I am just estimating the range. I am going back and forth with the rear focus and at a certain distance, which I estimate to approx. 200 yards, it will not focus on anything beyond that point.  I was expecting that the view would be as if looking through my 10X binocs, where everthing is reasonably clear out to 1000+ yards.  Beyond my approx. 200 yard view, everything is blurry with no ability to focus. I know that this scope should be better.  Hopefully it can be exchanged.

I am a little unclear on what is going on as well.  If I read this correctly, no matter how you adjust the parallax adjustment ring, you can not achieve focus on a target past 200 yards.  If that is the case, the scope is defective, and needs to be replaced.

Did you purchase the scope through SWFA?  I have seen imposter scopes on a certain giant auction site, and I hope it isn't one of those. 

I have a rear focus 10x SS, and the parallax adjustment works very well.

-Matt
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 16:32
murdoc,

Please answer the questions they have asked as it will greatly help us.

We have had problems with people using the ocular (reticle) focus as an image focus.  When this is done it will make the parallax adjustment be out of whack.

Put the ocular focus back to ZERO, aim the scope at the sky (if you aim it at anything else your eye tries to focus at what you are aiming at instead of the reticle), slowly turn the focus a little one way and then a little the other until the reticle is crisp.  Put the scope down, allow your eyes to rest and repeat until you are confident that the reticle is as sharp as you can get it.  Then never touch this focus again.

308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 16:38
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

murdoc,

Please answer the questions they have asked as it will greatly help us.

We have had problems with people using the ocular (reticle) focus as an image focus.  When this is done it will make the parallax adjustment be out of whack.

Put the ocular focus back to ZERO, aim the scope at the sky (if you aim it at anything else your eye tries to focus at what you are aiming at instead of the reticle), slowly turn the focus a little one way and then a little the other until the reticle is crisp.  Put the scope down, allow your eyes to rest and repeat until you are confident that the reticle is as sharp as you can get it.  Then never touch this focus again.

Unless you are an old fart and your eye glass prescription changes every time you go to the DR. Like me.

Edited by 308 Sav - April/09/2011 at 17:12
Gerald Baker
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 16:39
True.  Cool
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 16:51
This might make it clearer as to what Chris was saying.

Hope this helps.

The ocular or ret focus ring is the furthest back ring. It is what will cut your eye if you get kissed.

The parallax adjustment ring is located forward. It is the last part of the knurled part. When it is turned the reference marks for yardage change.

Edited by 308 Sav - April/09/2011 at 17:16
Gerald Baker
murdoc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 19:11

Chris,

I have focused the reticle.  Seems pretty sharp from the zero (turned all the way in) to about 1 and 1 half turns out.  Using the parallax adjustment, the 200 yard focus is good, parallax setting indicates between 30 and 50.  Don't really care what the markings indicate, as long as I can clearly see and hit targets out to around 800 yards or so.  I plan on going to the range tomorrow and see how the scope works out at longer known distances.  Also, I noticed that when I tried to remove the sunshield, the objective lense would rotate with it.  I don't know if this has messed up anything.  I will post my results tomorrow. 
murdoc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 19:17
308 Sav,
   Thanks for the pic.  Making me wish I would have bought Savage instead of Remington.  Maybe I'll come to the other side on my next one.
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 19:33
Originally posted by murdoc murdoc wrote:

Chris,

I have focused the reticle.  Seems pretty sharp from the zero (turned all the way in) to about 1 and 1 half turns out.  Using the parallax adjustment, the 200 yard focus is good, parallax setting indicates between 30 and 50.  Don't really care what the markings indicate, as long as I can clearly see and hit targets out to around 800 yards or so.  I plan on going to the range tomorrow and see how the scope works out at longer known distances.  Also, I noticed that when I tried to remove the sunshield, the objective lense would rotate with it.  I don't know if this has messed up anything.  I will post my results tomorrow. 

They do not even touch each other. The sunshade is the female part of the threading. The objective bell is threaded on the outside to recieve the sun shade portion. So you are mistaken somewhere.
Gerald Baker
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 19:44
Folks have had the front ring unscrew along with the sunshade more than a few times.
I have one that does it.

I'd like to see the scope in question.  Never had a rear adjust SS do anything like what's being described as far as parallax is concerned.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 19:50
I would wager that he does not have a sun shade on it and is referring to an actual part of the scope.  The SS has a recessed objective lens right out of the box.

Sounds like he partially disassembled the scope thinking it was a removeable sunshade and is trying to get it back to the factory setting, hence his inquiry for someone to measure the distance from the objective lens to the end of the scope's tube.

Parallax is set by the location of the objective lens and scopes with an A/O actually move the objective lens to change parallax.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 20:38
Pretty sure that's what happened too, Chris... Sure am glad I talked to you before I did that myself onetime....!

Edit for bad spelling and lousy punctuation!

Edited by billyburl2 - April/09/2011 at 20:40
murdoc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 21:44
Well,  Big Smile   That's me. Ear to ear grin.  Scope worked perfect.  Was able to see everything perfectly.  The parallax markings are off but I'll work on that later.  Question, as long as I don't turn the objective lense off the scope, the nitrogen fill should be fine?  I may not even touch it and shoot it as is.  Rem 700 sps varmint shot great. I need some work. I shot one 3 shot group with two rounds halfing each other and the third about 1 inch right and down.  Shot the other 40 rounds at steel out to 500 yards just for fun.  Next trip I'll go for more precision and work on my technique. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic