OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Shotgun / BlackPowder Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell Trophy Red/Green Dot Scope for Shotty

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell Trophy Red/Green Dot Scope for Shotty
    Posted: April/07/2011 at 12:17
I have a Bushnell Trophy (730135) red/green dot scope that I have pulled from my Mini-14. 

I am planning to mount this on my Mossberg 500 for turkey hunting.  Do any of you know any reason that this would be a bad idea?  I appreciate the input from the group.

Edited by Kickboxer - April/07/2011 at 17:19
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 12:52
Should work just fine, as long as it holds up to the recoil.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
ksholder View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 13:17
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Should work just fine, as long as it holds up to the recoil.

That is pretty much my concern.  Does anyone know if this scope is designed to hold up to the stresses of 12ga 3" shooting - both Turkey #5s and Coyote #4 buck and 2-3/4 - 00 buck for HD as long as we are covering it.
ksholder View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 13:29
I called Bushnell customer service.  They stated that the scope was tested on a 44 mag (did not specify if handgun or rifle).  I guess that this would then stand up to a 12 ga.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 14:26
I have one on a 12 ga. mossberg 500 and it is holding up just fine so far. been on the gun over a year now.
ksholder View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 17:13
Originally posted by tman1965 tman1965 wrote:

I have one on a 12 ga. mossberg 500 and it is holding up just fine so far. been on the gun over a year now.

That is what I was looking for - personal experience.  I trust this far more than the mfg.'s notion that it should work even though they did not test it.  Thanks.
Rothstein1987 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 17:49
Way to give the man what he wanted Tony Excellent... Is a scope really necessary for a shotgun though ive always wondered why people use them... I dont go turkey hunting slug hunting of any sort though.. Maybe I should try it for long range Pheasant Big Grin Bahaha
Mausers forever

That was great but can you do it again??
ksholder View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 18:06
I would think the scope would get in the way for point shooting.  For aimed shooting - deer, coyote, turkey - however, it seems like it will be worth a try.  Because I am doing more distance shooting, 200 yards and up, I have recently gotten a new scope for my Mini-14 which used to host this red/green dot scope.  I thought I would try it for turkey hunting.   It only cost me $7 for the weaver base plate for my shotty.  I do agree, however, you can get the job done with the old fashioned bead.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 18:13
You are throwing slugs out 200 yrds with your shotgun....? How accurate is this? Something along the lines of hitting a 5ft x 5ft target consistantly or is there ammo actually capable of Consistant groups at that range?? I use a traditional Muzzel loader for the deer never actually gone turkey hunting and the Coyotes have their own special lil 223 Big Grin
Mausers forever

ksholder View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 19:32
No. I have started shooting the Mini-14 longer distance where the smallest red dot is 6". This is why I bought a regular scope for the Mini-14. It can now do some coyote hunts.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 19:52
Thanks KS and Patrick! Mine is on a 24" rifled bbl. that I use with sabot slugs for hog hunting. it will hold 2" groups at 100 yds.
I have no idea what mine will do at 200...dont plan on using it that far, but anywhere from the muzzle to 100yds. it will straight up flatten hogs! and it is a very quick sight. I do sometimes switch to a 24" smoothbore bbl. and the bushnell has held up to #4 buck, 00buck, #1 buck and 000 buck equally well.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 20:33
Sounds interesting... May have to try this...
Mausers forever

ksholder View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2011 at 16:28
I took my Mossberg 500 with its "Undertaker" turkey choke to the patterning board today.  It took a couple of shots to get the dot in the middle of the groups.  After sighting in, I shot some turkey head/neck targets.  The set-up works, not doubt about it.  Now to find the real thing, if they get within range, they are gonners!!!  I know, big IF.

The scope performed well and made finding the aim point very easy.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2011 at 16:29
thanks for the follow up. Good luck gettin' a gobbler!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic