OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Question on swfa's 2-7 Viper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2011 at 20:56
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Originally posted by tman1965 tman1965 wrote:

I have the 2-7 viper with BDC and have had it on a .35 rem and a 7mm-08 with no problems at all. another member here has his on a 375 H&H mag., and has had no problems either. I cant remember if his is BDC or C3, but I dont think you will have any problems with the BDC on any rifle you wish to put it on!

that would be me, i have a c3 versa plex on mine, and for the close shots i generally take in the thick timber up here is works like a champ. what a scope for the money.

with just a little effort you could mount that scope a little lower...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 01:05
Regarding the original question regarding the balistic reticle. This is true of any balistic reticle if you zero the scope at a known distance say 200 yds and there is a mark of any type in the design of the reticle be it BDC type lines  or dots in a mil dot or just simply a duplex where the thin part of the crosshair goes to thick.
As a bullet travels out to long range gravity causes it to drop and at some distance X that bullets path will correspond to the mark on the reticle.  The question then becomes at what distance X represents.  The answer to that changes with different speed bullets and different weight bullets.  So what you do is you zero the rifle at 200 yds  ( you could select 100 if desired ) then go to 300 yds and point the center crosshair at the target and shoot a 3 shot group then mark where that group hit go back to 300 yds and place the center of the crosshairs on the center of the target and look to see where the impact mark is.  Where the impact mark is becomes your hold over at that known distance.  Next go to 400 and repeat the process.  By working in that manner you can determine what distance the reticle marks represent. Often the marks will be some distance inbetween but keep notes on your results and you will be able to know where to hold over to shoot a particular distance.  One other thing that causes people trouble is that they do not understand that a second focal plane reticle scope the balistic reticle is only true at the highest power.  With a FFP first focal plane scope like the Super Sniper 3-9 or 1-4 hold over is true at all powers.  So if you use a 2-7 Viper you may wish to test it at 7x and also test it at 2x  and at each power the first line below centere will represent a different distance because the reticle remains the same size but as you dial down in power the field of view side to side becomes much wider angle.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 07:57
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Originally posted by tman1965 tman1965 wrote:

I have the 2-7 viper with BDC and have had it on a .35 rem and a 7mm-08 with no problems at all. another member here has his on a 375 H&H mag., and has had no problems either. I cant remember if his is BDC or C3, but I dont think you will have any problems with the BDC on any rifle you wish to put it on!

that would be me, i have a c3 versa plex on mine, and for the close shots i generally take in the thick timber up here is works like a champ. what a scope for the money.

with just a little effort you could mount that scope a little lower...

i wasnt sure if the super lows would clear.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 08:38

I never thought you could get one too low but I may have.  I've got my Viper mounted on Weaver bases w/the lowest Weaver rings I could find.  I have to raise my head slightly to get a full image. I'll know more when I get to shoot it.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Hunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 21:52
You will have to go out and pick up a viper and look through it. Then you can compare it to the 4200.
Duck Hunter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic