OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Claim to Fame

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Claim to Fame
    Posted: April/06/2011 at 23:36
Whats your claim to Fame shot? I wanna hear your once in a lifetime shot that you dont think possible again or just made you look like a hero Bucky Was it a head shot on a coyote 280 yrds out with a 223 on a dead run with a 27 mph crosswind or a 900 yarder with extreme cant with perfect placement???
Mausers forever

That was great but can you do it again??
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 07:31
I shot a buger out of a flies nose at 457yrds with a 22short in a 60mph crosswind, left handedClown

of course I am kidding...... i'll post a real one later... got to think about that

Edited by SVT_Tactical - April/07/2011 at 07:44
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 07:40
My best shot to date was with my rem 308 winchester wearing a 10X super sniper. It was 301 yards with a cross wind of 18 to 19MPH from a wind meter. We were scouting for crows and found a little twiddy bird on a bush next to a creek @ 301. I told my 3 buddies with me I could hit it. well I got down on the rifle prone and got the bird in the scope. The wind was blowing it from the X out of the scope. it would go in and out in and out from left to right. I added the drop and the windage. I watched it blow in and out of the scope and just when it was about half way in the scope I pulled it off. POOF feathers went everywhere. I can give you 3 numbers to call to confirm the shot was true. was it skill or luck? heck I'll take ether on that shot.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 08:06
I've shot so many amazing shots that I'm beginning to think it must actually be my own skill !!!
Wink

My latest is right below my avatar. I shot a fly 3 times in succesion at 300yds. The wind was a tough one, about 10mph switching left to right and back, from behind. Witnessed, signed and sealed.

Edited by 8shots - April/07/2011 at 08:08
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 08:08
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

I've shot so many amazing shots that I'm beginning to think it must actually be my own skill !!!
Wink

My latest is right below my avatar. I shot a fly 3 times in succesion at 300yds. Witnessed, signed and sealed.

the story of your name is a classicExcellent
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 08:10
"the story of your name is a classicExcellent"

Pyro, we are not talking of worsts shots here !!!!!

Edited by 8shots - April/07/2011 at 08:10
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 08:15
he said "claim to fame" what more of story would need to be told in the "making" of 8shots Big Grin
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 08:25
OK, I had my new to me Browning High-Power 9mm.  Had gotten rid of the POS Ruger P85 that I sent in for the recall and it came back a POS; safer but a POS.  The X and I are out popping cans.  I found out that the Browning cycles faster than the P85.  I hit a can and it jumps in the air and an unintentional (poor trigger control on my part) double tap nails the can in mid air.  To this day the X thinks I did that on purpose. Cool Who am I to tell her different.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 08:45
Ok well I thought about it and I'm gonna go back a couple decades ago when i had my Red Ryder BB gun and a carton of BB's every day.  we had an old wooden barn that the Bee's loved.  I took that gun and started shooting Bee's out the air with it.  Of course I didn't do it in one shot but it was still pretty cool as a 7-8yr old kid able to pop them out the air with a red ryder
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 09:20
Some years ago I'm with the landowner and we stalk down a thickly covered path. We get to the bottom, peer through the bush and two kudu bulls stand 50 yds away. Nice bulls, but nothing spectacular. I take a dead rest, aim and fire, the two bulls burst out the bush and run away. A clean miss !!!

No-one said a word. We walk across the ridge and spot another BIG bull about to clear the ridge, some 350 yds away. I take a shot free-hand and the bull drops. No-one says a word. We get there and it is a BIG bull. The owner says "You miss the close one and drop the difficult ones "  I reply, "I purposely missed the close one, it was not big enough"  And I stuck to that story.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 10:16
.308win top of a milk jug cap @ 300yrds when the others were just hitting center for big splashes was egged on to try it with my Sub Gun by a few that don't know me to well.  Said I would have to  to do some quick calculating as I was at 250yrd target (joking really) I said I couldn't do that but joked that I would try Spotter Calls a miss (as was apparent) Told the spotter he better look again.  Then showed the guys what I wrote, HERO hit the CAP, LOSER miss...P.B.  True story, other true story upon PM involves embelishment...The cap split/tore as the bullet hit the back 3/4 or end and the little loss of 1 inch of water was near un-noticable...My wife threw out the cap as I laid it on our kitchen table when I got home.  
No one
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 15:46
Mine was popping a roosting grouse in the head with an iron-sights .22 from 50 yards away. Hard to do also because it kept moving its head back and forth behind a small branch.
Reaction time is a factor...
Rothstein1987 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 16:49
Awesome stories guys! Love the red ryder and milk jug Big Grin But the tweet tweet story has to take the cake just cause of the poof factor haha jk they are all top notch
Mausers forever

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 16:56
At the range with my wife... she was shooting her my German Voere Titan II 30-06 and was not having a very good day (at 500 yds she was only shooting a little less than 1MOA).  She said "I don't think this rifle is zeroed very well (it's MY job to do the zeroing).  I walked up to the bench, picked up the rifle, standing, set the set trigger on the way to my shoulder, got the target in the sights (at this time it had an ATN 6-18x65 with BDC, BDC set for 500), and touched the trigger set at about 8oz just as my shooting stance "settled".  Bullet hit the bullseye very nearly dead center.  I set the rifle onto the bag and said "looks OK to me..."  
SHE had no comment, except, while looking through the spotter, "dang, that was a good shot"... Has never complained about zero since...

Yep, I understand it was once in a lifetime... but all I could ask for...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Rothstein1987 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 17:02
Bravo! lol I bet she will never complain about zero again period... Thats extremly impressive (atleast to me since I seem to have a lot of movement while standing)
Mausers forever

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 17:15
I know the "shooting gods" were smiling on me that day...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 18:27
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

Mine was popping a roosting grouse in the head with an iron-sights .22 from 50 yards away. Hard to do also because it kept moving its head back and forth behind a small branch.

i wanna see bob munden pull that offExcellent
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 14:50
I was hoping to see more stories...

You know you all have a story.

COMMON SHARE IT>>>Sharp Shooter

or for the othersLights Out
No one
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 16:27
The word " fame"  triggered my e-mail..............what's up???    Bucky   

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 16:44
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i wanna see bob munden pull that offExcellent

That reminds me of a Bob Munden story.  When I was a kid, I was hunting elk with my dad in the Gravelly Mountains near Ennis MT.  We hunted an area that got a lot of pressure, but on snowy years, it held a lot of elk.  We were riding horseback up a gated road one morning, and heard a bunch of shooting.

We rode up around the corner, and saw a guy standing over a 5 point bull above the road.  We went up to him and offered a hand with the field dressing.  The bull was laying there with five shots in him in various places.  My dad introduced himself, and the guy said, "I'm Bob Munden."  Dad looked at him, looked at the bullet-ridden elk, and back at him. 

"Aren't you supposed to be a professional shooter?"

Munden started laughing and said he should have brought a pistol.

Awesome.
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic