OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 308
    Posted: April/06/2011 at 22:16
Ok so ive been looking around for a 308 and have found three that caught my eye.. Each have their own attributes that I am fond of..
Ruger MKII Target (Heavy Target Grade Barrel)
Remington 798 (Mauser 98 action gotta love it)
Remington 700 (Easy to find aftermarket parts for it)
Im looking to start the project in the hopes of coming up with a nice long range shooter for targets and PD's.. Since its for these two purposes im not really worried about weight.. I would really like to have a full 1" barrel for it.. This is my first type of build like this and im looking for basic input, helpful hints and places to start.. Also general input on the 3 listed rifles if anyone has them it would be appreciated for the feedback...Bucky
Patrick

Mausers forever

That was great but can you do it again??
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2011 at 22:51
-Matt
Rothstein1987 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2011 at 22:59
I got my savages just thinking about broadening the collection
Mausers forever

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2011 at 23:02
Remy 700 mil spec R5, or

Remy SPS tactical is a little cheaper route.
-Matt
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2011 at 23:06
Thats not the one with the triangle barrel was it? Guess it doesnt matter since I will prolly change the barrel anyways..
Mausers forever

tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2011 at 23:14
I'm thinking that 798 would be pretty sweet
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2011 at 23:31
That was my favorite but they arent that easy to come by it seems like...
Mausers forever

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2011 at 23:44

Let me suggest you select a caliber like .204 or .223 or 22-250

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/19/2011 at 23:18

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2011 at 23:48
The Remington 700 sps Tactical is a 20" bull barrel I believe. From what I've seen out of them at the ranges, put a trigger on it, and you'll be very hard pressed to make it any more accurate than it is out of the box.   I've seen 5 different ones shoot one raged hole at 300 yds with the factory barrel and stock, one even had the factory trigger. Nice rifels, especialy for the price.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 00:09
+1 on the Rem 5R. I love mine and the only way you would get it is to pry it out of my cold dead hands. I changed the trigger to a Rifle basix.

Urimaginaryfrnd, why add a Smith Vortex flash suppressor?
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 00:23
Heres an idea if going 308.  Savage 10FCP limited edition with Threaded Barrell, HS precision stock with full bedding block, AND 5R rifling!   All in one great package, 950 delivered if you can still find them.

Otherwise if thats over budget, check out tikka varmint in 308, or the new scout.  Tikkas are quite nice.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 07:28
Save some money and buy this

Hell ova price and Bigdaddy is good to go.  You'd be complelty set up!
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 15:41
Of the three originally mentioned, I'd go with something Remington if it's going to end up a project rifle. The 5R is a very good rifle. The 11.25 twist and 24" barrel are a plus for longer shots since they boost stability and velocity. Out of the box, these usually shoot well so you might never feel the need to mod it at all. Any money I've put in mine was to improve function not accuracy, e.g. a DBM and a cheek piece.
Reaction time is a factor...
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 16:29
I wholeheartedly agree with Wes.  I do a lot of PD shooting, and you'll be far better off with something much lighter than .308 for that game.  On a good weekend of PD shooting, if you're on a very good place at all, you can get in a LOT of shooting!  It's nothing for me to burn at least 1500 rounds and sometimes as many as 3000 rounds on a weekend of good PD shooting!  You don't want any part of that with a .308.  On top of recoil issues (and yes, even though .308 has fairly mild recoil, you won't think so after a couple hundred rounds), you'll have a very hard time spotting your shot impact through the scope with a .308.  It doesn't take much recoil to move the rifle enough to jar your target completely out of the scope's FOV at medium to high magnification.  In addition, you need a really frangible bullet that will expand rapidly and break up on PDs, and to get that in .30 caliber (110 gr. - 125 gr.), they probably won't shoot very well in the faster 10 twist you'd need for the good 168 - 180 gr match bullets you'd typically use for target shooting.

If you're looking for a combination PD / target rifle, I would suggest something tailor made for that very purpose -- .204, .22PPC, 6PPC, .223, .22BR, 6BR... 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 16:47
Roth

You mentioned in your 1st post that you want "a nice long range shooter for targets and PD's".  If you are going to really control your rate of fire and only shoot at longer distances, a .308 would work, but I guarantee you that you will want to shoot one that pops up close, and then another, and another and so on.  After a while you will not want the recoil of a .308 and will be pining for a .20 or .22 cal rifle.  Rifles in these calibers are popular because they work. 

Could not agree with Wes & Ted more.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 16:59
I have my Savage 22-250 its a Model 12 BTCSS and a 223 Ruger 77 Mark II Target... I am a fan of some recoil (like the dog cannon 25.06) I have my heart set on the 308 just looking for ideas on one and some info to get me going... I would like to hear more about this R5...
Mausers forever

stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 18:25
Like the rest I love my 5r in .308 but for small critters I go to my Rem 700 Police .223 bolt.Big animals Big bullets/Small animals ,Small calibers...Keep it simple & you will never go wrong!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 19:11
I have a stock model 700 sps 20" barrel in .308. It shoots very well even with the relatively cheap hogue stock and remington trigger. I can do right at 1/2 MOA without much trouble using factory ammo. I picked it up for about 800 including a 10x Super Sniper, Burris Xtreme rings and a harris bipod. I think the gun by itself can be had for about 500 so not bad at all for the performance. 
-Michael
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 20:40
SoooI take it nobody hase either the Ruger Target or Remy 798 Models? Seems kind of different... I am thinking the 700 for a 308 and the 798 in a 30 06 may be the answer Bucky
Mausers forever

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 20:57
Those 798's are neat guns, but they have a reputation as being not-so-super-accurate.  I'm sure there are some good ones out there, and the others probably tighten up with a little quality gunsmithing.

When they first came out, quite a few mauser fans at the range got them, but I don't see a lot of them anymore.
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic