OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Let's ask the experts here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sierramk168 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let's ask the experts here
    Posted: April/05/2011 at 15:22
Looking at new scopes for a Remington 700 ADL .308 Winchester.  Usually ranging from 300 to 800 yards and looking for VERY accurate scope with VERY reliable quality.  And yes, before anyone asks...I have the $ for any of these.  I'm curious as to the feedback from all of you on who/what is the best:

Nightforce NF 8-32x56
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50
Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 Police Marksman II LP
Leupold 30x40 FX-3 Silhouette
Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 LR/T
Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 ER/T
Swarovski PH 6-24x50 L

My biggest issue is that I have a "Remington" 4-12x40 scope now that came with the gun and after about 200-300 rounds, I am losing zero alot, have difficulties adjusting elevation / windage and then coming back to zero, etc, etc.  Basically, I see that I need a good quality scope that is intended to take the recoil of a .308.  I guess the springs inside this China crap are shot.

If anyone needs to know for evaluation purposes, I generally shoot under 1"MOA at 300 yards (although a lot more than that lately with the Rem scope).

Hopefully, the forum here can help me not spend a lot of dough for nothing.  Besides, I'd rather keep some more money for the bullets, cases, primers and powder.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2011 at 15:32
Well if I had that kind of money MY personal choice would be...
Premier Heritage 3-15x50 Tactical 34mm RiflescopeIlluminated Gen II XRPremier Heritage 3-15x50 Tactical 34mm Riflescope
Stock # - PRH09034
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Illuminated Gen II XR
  • 34mm
  • Double-Turn 0.1 MRad (28 mrad of Elevation travel)
  • MTC Adjustments
  • Clockwise
  • Free Flip Open Lens Caps w/ Purchase
$3,013.00
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2011 at 16:12
you mentioned the ranges but not what you are shooting..
steel plates?
paper?
bench rest competition?
tactical matches?

if plates, I wouldn't go over 18 at the top end
if paper and you want to do tiny groups at a distance then higher magnification is good but it can have drawbacks with mirage and narrow field of view at the lower settings..

My LTR 308 will do .5 at 300 with my handloads and hold sub MOA out to 750 (doing head shots on a 5x5" target) with a 14.5x at the top end...

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2011 at 16:57
http://swfa.com/Sightron-6-24x50-SIII-30mm-Riflescope-P48418.aspx

http://swfa.com/IOR-3-18x42-Tactical-35mm-Rifle-Scope-P8937.aspx

http://swfa.com/Vortex-5-20x50-Razor-HD-35mm-Rifle-Scope-P42753.aspx

In addition to the N/F, S&B, Swaro, and Premier I would also consider these. As for the Leupold.... IMO it's not even in the same class as the Sightron.

We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2011 at 19:33
-Matt
sierramk168 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sierramk168 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2011 at 19:55
With all reviews, sites and experts saying "you get what you pay for" and to spend a lot on the glass, I want to make sure I don't waste 1,000 two or three times when I can pay 2,000 or so once.

Shooting paper right now off bi-pod.  Nothing crazy.  Bringing back memories for me shooting longer distances when I can.  I am of course biased to S&B or Premier my self as well but, it's a little steep getting one when the G ain't paying for it.

Looks like the HD is the way to go?
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2011 at 20:10
the 5-25 PM2 S&B is a great scope (used one for a year).  Had Holland's ART Reticle
I have a Vortex Razor HD 5-20  with the MOA reticle
The Vortex PST Viper FFP with MOA reticle is one that I want to use.
I have a S-3 Sightron (plex reticle) and it is a good scope.  I want to get one of the new ones with the MOA reticle.

Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2011 at 21:20
This scope will save you a bunch of money, and the glass will surprise you. And it is built like a tank!
SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical RiflescopeMil-DotSWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS10X42HD
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • .10 Mrad
  • HD Model
$799.95
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2011 at 00:38
Of you list.

Nightforce NF 8-32x56 Nice scope but just too much magnification that you will more than likely never use. I have one and rarely use it above about 22x. I have it on my 50BMG since it is a very good scope and rated for 50cals plus I got it for $800. But if I had to pay full price I would not have one.

Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 Good scope I have several and am very pleased with them.

Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 Police Marksman II LP What can I say, an excellent scope.

Leupold 30x40 FX-3 Silhouette Leupold is just not in the same class as these other scopes.

Swarovski PH 6-24x50 L Another excellent scope.

I would also add a Nightforce 3.5-15x50, a Zeiss 6-24 and a US Optics 3.2-17 to the list.

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2011 at 01:35
I shoot a 308 Win with a Leupold 8,5-25 x 50 LRT. I have used the Mk4 equivalent in First Focal and liked it. I have just had my scope fitted with tactical turrets and a TMR reticule.
I shoot at 8 inch gongs and life size animal targets out to 400yds. (And we shoot as close as 50yds)

Most of our top shooters have gone the magnification route and have opted for the Nightforce 8-32.

Do yourself a favour and go for the biggest magnification. You need never use it. There are stops inbetween the 8-32. In other words you can set it on 9x, 12x, 15X 22X (get my drift).

Not picking a fight but I find it strange that people say 32X or 25X or 15X is too much magnification on a variable scope. You CAN turn it down and use less. But it IS there when you want it. And shooting target you will want it. On a variable scope you need to consider the bottom number, not the top number. In other words is 8x to much for you for close work?
I shoot my 8,5X at 50 yds no problems.

So my money will go to the Nightforce 8-32.

Edited by 8shots - April/06/2011 at 01:40
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2011 at 14:09
Originally posted by sierramk168 sierramk168 wrote:

Looking at new scopes for a Remington 700 ADL .308 Winchester.  Usually ranging from 300 to 800 yards and looking for VERY accurate scope with VERY reliable quality.  And yes, before anyone asks...I have the $ for any of these.  I'm curious as to the feedback from all of you on who/what is the best:

Nightforce NF 8-32x56
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50
Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 Police Marksman II LP
Leupold 30x40 FX-3 Silhouette
Swarovski PH 6-24x50 L

My biggest issue is that I have a "Remington" 4-12x40 scope now that came with the gun and after about 200-300 rounds, I am losing zero alot, have difficulties adjusting elevation / windage and then coming back to zero, etc, etc.  Basically, I see that I need a good quality scope that is intended to take the recoil of a .308.  I guess the springs inside this China crap are shot.

If anyone needs to know for evaluation purposes, I generally shoot under 1"MOA at 300 yards (although a lot more than that lately with the Rem scope).

Hopefully, the forum here can help me not spend a lot of dough for nothing.  Besides, I'd rather keep some more money for the bullets, cases, primers and powder.

From personal experience:

1.  I hate optics over 20X unless the shooting will be long, long range.  (800 isn't long, long range.)
2.  I don't buy Leupold, too many other great options, and most cost less.
3.  Nightforce makes a great scope, their glass is serviceable but not the very best (but I hear that will be changing soon.)  Their machanicals are among the very bet in the industry.
4.  I would take the Premier over the S&B, without hesitation.
5.  Though I haven't used the Razor 5-25, I know a few who have and wouldn't put it in quite the same league as S&B and Premier (as price would indicate.)
6.  The best scope I own is a Hensoldt 3-12, balls-out accurate, best eye box I have ever used, best glass I own (only slightly better than Premier, but slightly better in color - same in contrast.)
7 Nightforce is the "best buy", Hensoldt is the top of the heap, but you pay for it.  Vortex Razor ain't bad, Premier is second only to Hensoldt in optical quality (and not by much.)

At this level, you are spending significantly more money for marginal incremental increases in capacity and/or quality.

For a bargain, buy Nightforce, for "best of the best", buy Hensoldt or Premier.

Take the Swaro off the list.  Great glass, but "one of these is not like the others."
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2011 at 14:37
+1
Amen!
Reaction time is a factor...
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2011 at 17:07
I can't wait to get the Premier Light Tactical 3-15x50
I think that is going to be a killer scope

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2011 at 17:21
Naturally, the choice depends on what you decide to spend.

Under $1000: Sightorn S3 6-24x50 or 8-32x56

Under $2000: Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 (I am currently a version of it with a redesigned eyepiece and it rocks)

Price no object: I am partial to Premier and Hensoldt.  With high magnification models, Premier is FFP, while Hensoldt is SFP.  Pick what works for you.

ILya
sierramk168 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sierramk168 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 19:52
Nice.  The Jedi has spoken!

Thanks all for the advise, albeit a little different from some, mostly it was directed to one way. 

I am working on getting either a NF NXS 5.5-22x50 or SB PMII 5-25x56.  I really appreciate the opinions and leads for others.  Honestly, I did weigh them all piece by piece and feature by feature but, as som many here put it...you just can't go wrong with either of these two (especially the NF for the money). 

If I can deal the SB below $1,800 it will be the one.  If not, the spread won't justify not getting the NF in my mind (and it looks like most of yours as well).

May all of your penetrations go deeply and all your loads be true!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2011 at 16:57
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

I can't wait to get the Premier Light Tactical 3-15x50
I think that is going to be a killer scope

I am getting one fore review in a couple of weeks.

I'll let you know how it goes.

ILya
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2011 at 22:43
Cool, I have on on order too
I think this is going to be one hot scope
Also have  USO 3.2-17x44, EREK, ERGO, GAP reticle due soon

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 00:48
Heinsoldt would be my first choice and U.S. Optics would be my second choice.  Rancid Coolaid has owned most of the really top end tacticals so you wont go wrong following his advise.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2011 at 09:31
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Heinsoldt would be my first choice and U.S. Optics would be my second choice.  Rancid Coolaid has owned most of the really top end tacticals so you wont go wrong following his advise.

yep, clearly he makes way too much money :)

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 19:45
Sometimes life depends on the first round hitting the mark, sometimes not.

I value my life too much to put a bargain scope on a "life or death" gun.

In the end, no deer rifle scope needs to rise to that level, these are not deer rifle scopes we are discussing.

My preference is Premier and Hensoldt.  I had a problem with a Hensoldt and have been spending more time behind the premier lately - and have fallen in love again with the 3-15 Premier with Gen2 mil dot, it is an amazing piece of gear.  The Hensoldt still wins (by the narrowest of margins) on eye box, but my Premier has been banged around and has yet to let me down.

This is a confidence game, and mine is in Premier.

For the original poster, be aware that S&B and NF are worlds apart.  If you can get a real PM2 for $1800 (and you trust the seller to be giving you the deal he claims), buy it.  Sometimes deals 'too good to be true" are, I hope that isn't the case with your deal.

Both are entirely serviceable, glass in the S&B is dramatically better.  And that damned turning ocular still bugs me on the NF.  If you've got the coin, Premier and hensoldt are the top of the heap; if you can't drop $3k, NF will not let you down.

Lastly, buy what allows you to put the most rounds down range.  No scope can (or should) replace range time.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic