OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rings and Bases for a Sii Big Sky

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pescado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rings and Bases for a Sii Big Sky
    Posted: April/05/2011 at 12:48
Recently purchased a 6.5-20x50 Sii Big Sky for my 6mm Remington. The rifle is a Rem. 700 long action. I need some bases and rings and am after some advice from people with more knowledge than I have.I plan to use the rifle for coyotes and some longer range shooting. 

What would be good bases and rings for this set up?

I have a set of Leupold dual dovetails on hand (lows) would these work. I've heard of people having problems with these bases,. Any truth to this claim?

What are your opinions on Burris weaver style bases and zee rings?

Scope will be here soon so I want to be ready to mount it when it arrives. Any help would be appreciated.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2011 at 14:03
Personally I like D/D bases and have both Burris and Leupold. I do like the Burris bases better though and they are thicker (therefore make the rings sit higher than Leupold). Low is probably too low for a 50mm though. My 50mm objective scopes are both in MED rings. On my heavy Barrel .223 (REM 700 w/ 6.5-20x50 Viper) I have Burris Signature Zee rings and a Warne 1 piece 0moa base which is fairly thick and works well. I started with Leupold D/D bases on this rifle and Burris Signature D/D MED rings and the objective was rubbing the barrel. Rather than going to High rings I went with the thicker 1 piece Warne base and MED Signature Zee Rings  which gave me a smidge (highly technical term) more height which was enough to clear the barrel. Burris DD bases would also have probably given me enough clearance but I did not have those on hand. I did have the Warne base and the MED Signature Zee rings so why spend more. My other rifle with a 50mm Scope is a Savage 110 sporter with a 4-16X50 Nikon Monarch, Burris D/D Bases, and Burris MED Signature D/D rings.

I guess what I am trying to say is if yours is a heavy barrel rig even MED rings in the Leupold bases "MAY NOT" clear the barrell. If it is a sporter weight barrel it "SHOULD" clear with MED rings. As to the rings. All of my rifles wear Burris Signature rings in either D/D or Zee configurations.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
pescado View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pescado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2011 at 14:46
It is a fairly heavy barrel, a #4 Gaillard which is .750 at the muzzel. Sounds like it will be unlikely that my D/D lows will work. I'm leaning towards the weaver style bases with the Zee configuration with the inserts if the D/D won't work. I've never used them but am hearing that they are a solid platform and a good way to go?
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2011 at 16:14
I really like the Burris "Z" rings, have not used their weaver bases. But I would definitely suggest that set-up over the DD rings and mounts.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
johnfox View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2011 at 17:07
I really ike the Burris zee rings, I'm using them with Weaver steel bases on one of my Mausers. 

Talley ultralights may not be the prettiest of mounts, but damn I like 'em. My rifles wear more of those than any other brand.    
pescado View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pescado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2011 at 17:27
Talley is another system I here lots about so I'll have to due more research into them. I may be able to go with the Leupold bases I now have on the rifle with Burris Signature Dual Dovetail rings. Looks like the mounting with those is straight forward and wouldn't require  lapping. Talked with Burris earlier today and he thinks I'll need the high dovetails. Seems to get more complicated with the more I research but I'm trying to come up with a good platform and I'd like to do the mounting myself. Thanks for your replies. 
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2011 at 18:25
The High Signature D/D rings would certainly work and would probably be the safe bet over the Medium. The reason I use Signature rings of any variety is to get away from having to lap my rings and be able to correct mounting issues without have to use much of the scopes internal adjustment. The thing I like about D/D rings and bases is the fact that there are minimal screws to come loose and they provide a rock solid mount especially on hard kicking rifles like my .338WM

http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings.html

This link has a good video describing what the Signature rings do for you.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Vermin93 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vermin93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2011 at 18:47
I use these products and I like them a lot:

Warne Maxima 2-Piece Steel Bases:

http://swfa.com/Warne-Maxima-2-Piece-Base-P9799.aspx

Burris Signature Zee Rings:

http://swfa.com/Burris-Signature-Zee-1-Rings-P1311.aspx

Burris Signature Pos-Align Offset Ring Inserts:

http://swfa.com/Burris-Signature-1-Pos-Align-Ring-Inserts-P1316.aspx

It is great not having to go through the messy and tedious process of lapping Signature Rings.  However, if you use the offset ring inserts you will spend a little more time at the range determining the optimal placement of the inserts before using the scope turrets to make the final minor adjustments.  I have been able to successfully use the inserts to get within 1-3 inches of my point of aim, which means only a few clicks of the turrets to finish the job.
pescado View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pescado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2011 at 19:32
No one is complaining about the Signature Rings so the inserts must work. Just have to decide if I'll swap the bases or not. How much higher are the Signature D/D Rings (highs) than the D/D Leupold lows? The stock is comfortable now so I don't want to mess with an adjustable cheek piece.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2011 at 19:40
I would use a rail and tactical ring combo.  I recently purchased my first set of TPS rings, and I don't foresee using another brand on boltguns.

http://swfa.com/TPS-Mounts-C2705.aspx 
-Matt
pescado View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pescado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 11:26
Thanks for the tip Bitterroot hadn't heard of TPS before. They look tight. Like the idea of the Basebed for mounting the bases and the HRT's in aluminum for my light weight hunting rigs. Thinking of a system that would make swapping scopes around easy and these with the hex nut could be it. I have a 6.5x55 in a light weight hunting rig and the idea of putting the 6.5-20x50 on it occasionally for long range shooting would be nice. Think I'll go with the HRT's on the 6.5x55 and the TSR "W" For the 6mm Rem and have 2 piece weaver style bases on both rifles. I've never used a rail before and don't think I want a rail on my lightweight rig. Any thoughts on how you think this would work? Who makes a good 2 piece weaver style base?
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 14:49
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

I would use a rail and tactical ring combo.  I recently purchased my first set of TPS rings, and I don't foresee using another brand on boltguns.

http://swfa.com/TPS-Mounts-C2705.aspx 

+1. TPS  are great. Smile
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2011 at 17:58
+1 0n the rail system,if you can part with the coin look at the Night Force with titanium bolt.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic