OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris Eliminator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Respect Outdoors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris Eliminator
    Posted: April/04/2011 at 07:58
have any of you used the Burris Eliminator? what are your thoughts? 
"All men die, few ever really live"
Sako A7 Burris Eliminator
7mm Rem Mag 139 gr GMX Superformance
Have gun will hunt!
Respect Outdoors View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Respect Outdoors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 09:13
I set up a Burris Eliminator Fan Page on Facebook. This will be a great place to find out all the latest information regarding the Burris Eliminator. Stories, photos, videos... it will all be there.... 

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Burris-Eliminator-LaserScope/199891903366331
Have gun will hunt!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 09:18
Are you a buris rep?  Just wondering your background with the eliminator.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Respect Outdoors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 09:35
no, I'm not a rep. I host a show called Respect Outdoors, Burris and Steiner are Sponsors of mine. Last year was the first time I used the Eliminator.... It was absolutely insane. I never really felt comfortable shooting long ranges (3-600 yards) due to not properly understanding my bullet drop. Now, all I have to do is press the range button and hold the little orange dot where it needs to be. It's a great hunting scope to me. I have had several guests on the show use it and everybody that picks it up has the same reaction "Wow" 
That all being said... Burris is a sponsor and they do pay me but the day anybody can find me promoting a product simply because their a sponsor is the day I go off air. If I don't TRULY believe in a product, I'm not going to use it! 

I would love to put together a a test shoot with 100 people... let them bring their rifles and then set targets out at variable ranges like 291, 374, 430, 489, 535, you know not the typical 3 4 5 hundred yard marks.... then let them use their rangefinders and rifles... then let them use my rifle with my Eliminator.. the time they save and the confidence they feel making those shots will be incomparable. I've seen it to many times with extremely experienced shooters. The Eliminator is the real deal. I guarantee it! 

Respectfully, 
Robert Arrington 
Have gun will hunt!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 09:46

Ok.  What makes it better than the other rangefinding scopes currently on market?

slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 09:46
My problem with this is when you get out to long ranges it's more than just bullet drop you have to worry about. What do you do for the wind? From looking at the Eliminator it seems like it doesn't know how to calculate that. So how well can this thing actually work?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 10:05
Having seen what fog and dust do to range finders, I wouldn't buy an Eliminator for the hunting I do (south Texas, lots of fog, lots of dust.)  That said, it is an interesting product, assuming the user knows how to set it up initially.

My concern for these types of products is that they lower the proverbial bar, allowing people to feel confidence they probably shouldn't.  "Hope for the best, plan for the best" isn't wise.

Then again, as a dumb Marine, maybe it's just too smart for me.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - April/04/2011 at 10:56
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RTA48 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RTA48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 10:49
I just can't get past how damn ugly they are sitting on a rifle

Randy
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 10:58
Originally posted by RTA48 RTA48 wrote:

I just can't get past how damn ugly they are sitting on a rifle

Randy

that makes two of us manLoco are you hunting, or doing a land survey??Bucky
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 11:13
It seems there could be some real problems with the trajectory calculations if you are going from one temperature and elevation to another (sea level warm temps to 10000 feet below zero)m, especially at 500 yards plus.  Maybe Burris has a safeguard or adjustment for this.

My concern is the way the scope works oversimplifies exterior ballistics, and the results in the field could be a wounded animal.
-Matt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 11:14
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

that makes two of us manLoco are you hunting, or doing a land survey??Bucky

Laugh Above
-Matt
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Respect Outdoors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 11:30
I totally get what you guys are saying... I kinda thought they were big at first as well.... I am no tech nerd by any stretch of the imagination! when you buy the scope you get a list of nearly every single caliber and bullet manufacture made... each combination has a corresponding number... my 7mm shooting Hornady 139 gr GTX was a (47) I believe... can't remember perfectly but it think it was a 47. 

You sight the rifle in at 100 or 200 yards, your choice. when calibrating the scope it asks you did you sight it in at 1 or 2 hundred yards. put 1 or 2... that easy. then it asks for the corresponding number. use the up or down button on the side and it is all done. It is as easy as that. use a coin of screwdriver or fingernail to swap the battery, it's right on top of the scope and vary easy to get to. I've never had to change mine.

I am a disorganized southern red neck that spends most of my time haulin' ass all over our ranch with a pack of hog dogs in the back of my truck, an knife in my pocket and my rifle next to my console. Getting dirty and banged around is an understatement! go to my facebook page facebook.com/respectoutdoorstv and the photos and video will be all you need to see. 

as for wind. no, it can't compensate for wind, you must do that because wind is a varying factor that changes on a moment to moment basis.... tell me anything that can predetermine wind drift before hand?

All I'm saying is that I was a sceptic until I used it. now it's all I use. I grew up with leopold. If it wasn't a leopold my dad would have it.... but as I have grown in this industry and had the opportunity to field test numerous products I have a first hand "Field Tested" opinion on what works and what doesn't! This Burris Eliminator is the cat's ass! And to be dead honest, it doesn't give false confidence. it gives you the ability to make shots that otherwise you'd never attempt. It makes you much more capable. The little orange dot that lights up is very easy to see and small enough that it creates a perfect aiming point. 

you can argue with this all you want, but sooner or later, you'll pick a rifle up that has an eliminator on it and when you range your first target out there about 400 yards and that little dot appears and you pull the trigger and wha La.... you drill the target.... you'll remember this thread. Trust me. I see it all the time. Just ask Mr. Leopold (My Dad) Arrington and see what his closed minded self had to say.... 

Have gun will hunt!
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Respect Outdoors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 11:34
talk about not being able to figure things out... I can't even figure out how to put my picture up on my site... 
"avatar"
Have gun will hunt!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 11:34
I never tested the Eliminator, but I did glance at it at SHOT.

I like the concept and I suspect it is the way of the future.  As far as the execution goes, I think Burris did a good job considering it is effectively a 1st generation device.

I suspect that the next generation will be a significantly more polished sight, although it is possible that it will take a couple of generations to make the technology integration truly mature.

Either way, I am very curious to see what 2nd and 3rd generation of this scope will look like.

On appearance: ugly or not, it is a functional shape.  Some care and some do not.  I can think of a few different interior packaging options for a device like this, but it comes down to cost and judgement call.

On ethics of making a long shot: I suspect that people who are likely to take a shot longer that they should be, will take it whichever scope they've got on.  You can't fix stupid.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 11:48
I've known far too many shooters with excess confidence and far too few with reasonable reservation.

An image that will never leave me is of a recent hunt with an overconfident, under-skilled marksman who tried to head-shoot a doe and instead took off her lower jaw.  As it dangled around her throat and she bled out, still standing, wondering wtf just happened; the novice shooter (with $2000 rifle and $3000 scope) learned by experience what I wish most could learn by instruction.

I've seen far too many wounded animals to think most shooters need the confidence to make a shot that their skill level doesn't justify.

All that said, in certain circumstances, it would be nice to have a ballistic calculator in the optic.  If the battery dies, the optic still functions. Faster than doping at the turret.

Fog and dust are no friends to any rangefinder, better to know how to range and dope the old fashioned way.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 11:55
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

On ethics of making a long shot: I suspect that people who are likely to take a shot longer that they should be, will take it whichever scope they've got on.  You can't fix stupid.

ILya

I'm not interested in rehashing the ethics of "long range" hunting ... again.  I don't have any issue with anybody making any shot on game that they are certain they will make.  My problem with Burris is they are marketing this device as fool-proof.  Like the OP said, you hit the range button and put the lit dot on the target ... and bang, guaranteed hit.  Well, maybe that works to 400 yards on elk with a 18 inch vital target.  The equation is different on antelope, coues, etc.

As far as wind goes, there are a number of ways to account for it reliably, including using a wind meter, reading mirage, etc. 

This scope is not a replacement for learning your exterior ballistics.  It should not do the thinking for you.

Make no mistake, I mean no disrespect to the OP, and welcome him to discussion here on the OT.
-Matt
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 11:58
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ILya

I'm not interested in rehashing the ethics of "long range" hunting ... again.  I don't have any issue with anybody making any shot on game that they are certain they will make.  My problem with Burris is they are marketing this device as fool-proof.  Like the OP said, you hit the range button and put the lit dot on the target ... and bang, guaranteed hit.  Well, maybe that works to 400 yards on elk with a 18 inch vital target.  The equation is different on antelope, coues, etc.

As far as wind goes, there are a number of ways to account for it reliably, including using a wind meter, reading mirage, etc. 

This scope is not a replacement for learning your exterior ballistics.  It should not do the thinking for you.

Make no mistake, I mean no disrespect to the OP, and welcome him to discussion here on the OT.

This is a good point.  Perhaps, the advertising is a bit too exuberant.  Still, it is up to the shooter to make the decision.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 11:59
Someone mention Huskemaw. Please!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 11:59
Originally posted by Respect Outdoors Respect Outdoors wrote:

talk about not being able to figure things out... I can't even figure out how to put my picture up on my site... 
"avatar"

I am not sure about your site, but on this site you can not put up a picture until you have a certain minimum number of posts.

If you need a picture added before then, let me know and I'll put it up for you.

ILya
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 12:00
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Someone mention Huskemaw. Please!

ok, huskemaw sucks hows thatBucky
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic