OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ok, AR10 Needs A 10x

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote space_weazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ok, AR10 Needs A 10x
    Posted: April/04/2011 at 03:01
Since from my other thread it seems unlikely that SWFA will be on my bandwagon at least for a while......

I really want another SS but ...

The specs I'm trying to hit are Mil dot (.5 mil hashs would be nice), Mil adjustment, side focus, 10x power (12x would be ok), 
It would be nice in the turrets were caped or if exposed, if the turrets locked some how (lift to adjust, push down to lock, or something like this)

I know its a laundry list and no one makes the perfect scope but this is what I have found that comes close.

-SS10 its a great scope but not mil/mil and not side focus.
-WOTAC 10x meets most of the criteria, do these turrets lock some how? How do they look? reviews seem good.
-Bushnell 10x E3200 I have heard that these are available from time to time in mil/mil, no side focus though.

Forgetting cost for a moment, whats out there that comes close that I am missing? 
Thank you for the help.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 07:55
US Optics will make anything you desire,also Premier has I think all you desire.Might even check Hensoldt!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 08:23
US Optics 10x44 ST-10 30mm RiflescopeUS Optics 10x44 ST-10 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - USOST10A
  • Matte Black Type III hard Anodizing
  • Illuminated Mil-Scale GAP Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Low Profile - Rapid Focus Eyepiece
  • 11 Pos Rheostat (Red) Illumination
  • EREK 1/10 MIL Elevation Knob
  • US#1 1/10 MIL Windage Knob
  • ERGO Upgrade Parallax Control
$1,558.95
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 08:28
Wonders Optics 10x40 Tactical 30mm RiflescopeWonders Optics 10x40 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - WONWOTAC10
  • Matte
  • EPB Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Target Knobs
  • Side Focus
  • 1/10 MIL
  • Comes with a Sunshade
$278.95
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 08:38
Personally, I'd avoid WOTAC.

Locking turrets are a new thing, and having seen a few now, I have yet to see one I really like.

USO can be built with an EREK turret, my personal favorite in elevation turrets.

I have an AR10, why do you want a fixed 10X with such a versatile gun?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 08:43
SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical RiflescopeMil-DotSWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS10X42HD
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • .10 Mrad
  • HD Model
$799.95

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 08:54
The U.S.O. has it all except locking turrets. The Wotac is... I wouldn't depend on it. The H.D. is the one I would pick.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 09:05
IOR has a 10X as well, I think

Edited by SVT_Tactical - April/04/2011 at 09:06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 09:10
[QUOTE=SVT_Tactical]IOR has a 10X as well, I think[/QUOTE
 Yes they do, but don't offer mil adjustments in them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 09:36
If locking turrets are a deal-breaker, that narrows it to Leupold (have they released it yet), Zeiss, and Premier (soon.)  Anyone else?

As said before, locking turrets are a new priority but I've seen the Leupold and the Zeiss and like neither.  I have heard how the Premier's will work and don't think I want that.  

We have the list, now prioritize it.

My money would go to the SS 10X HD as well, great scope for the money, great glass.

I would say again that, given the versatility of an AR10, a fixed 10X would not be my first choice, wouldn't even be in the top 10 choices - no matter how good any given fixed 10X might be.
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 09:46

to wotac, too many issues
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 11:46
The original SS line has a side-focus model, but it has MOA-based knobs.

The SSHD 10x42 has rear parallx adjustment, but is mil/mil and built like tank on steroids.

Sightron S3 10x42 has half-mil hashmarks, but rear focus and 1/4 moa knobs.

PFI RR800-2 is a 10x42 scope with side-focus and covered knobs that have 1/4 MOA clicks.  Side-focus knob also has a cover.  However, this scope is really designed to be used with the reticle for both ranging and holdover.  I am testing one now, and the more time I spend with it, the more I like it.

It is not ideal for shooting groups.  The reticle is busy.  However, with a little traiinng, I suspect it is the fastest way to get hits on a human size targets out to 800yards that I can think of.  If that is your goal, I suggest you take a close look at this one:

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 11:49
Weazel, why a fixed 10X?
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 11:57
I wouldn't want a fixed 10x unless it was always to be used as a bench gun either
the new Weaver tactical has locking turrets
the 3-15 would be a good choice for an AR10
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

space_weazel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote space_weazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 17:07
Missed those, did see the SS10xHD.
Locking turrets would be nice, not a deal breaker.

I was thinking 10x to try and get a really solid and clear scope (as with most things, for the best money) I figured with the 18" SPSS barrel that this was going to be a prone shooting rifle its 10lbs already with out a scope, muzzle device, or ammo. So I figured the 10x would allow a wide enough field of view for 50-100 yard shots and the magnification to take it to 500-600 and allow easy doping of shots. The idea here being simplicity, its a semi auto so I was thinking this would be fun for matches where we take shots in rapid succession at varying ranges, range/dope/shoot/repeat.

Am I totally off base? What would you be looking at?

I put a SS16 on my 50bmg, a IOR 6x on my FAL, and a Falcon 4-14 ml16 on my R700 308.
The SS16 is nice but I likely should have gotten the 10, the eye box is a little small for me, and I wouldn't mid the extra light.
I like the falcon a lot so far it seems like a great scope, and its great for a slow fire bold gun.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote space_weazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 17:10
If forced to prioritize the list

Important
-mil/mil
-clear glass

Negotiable
-side focus
-.5 mil hashs
-locking/covered turrets
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote space_weazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 17:17
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

The original SS line has a side-focus model, but it has MOA-based knobs.
It is not ideal for shooting groups.  The reticle is busy.  However, with a little traiinng, I suspect it is the fastest way to get hits on a human size targets out to 800yards that I can think of.  If that is your goal, I suggest you take a close look at this one:

ILya

This scope looks interesting, I think what I would like to do with this scope/rifle is to ping steel at varying ranges, in and out of wind and get some experience shooting "real world" if for nothing else than the challenge of doing the math and estimating conditions to try and make the shots, How do you like this scope for doping? What do you find its strengths to be? What does the glass clarity compare to?

Thanks in advance.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote space_weazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 17:19
Oh  koshkin one more thing.....
Are the range marks an "average" of certain caliber ballistic arcs? or do they set it for your gun and bullet?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 17:29
Originally posted by space_weazel space_weazel wrote:

Oh  koshkin one more thing.....
Are the range marks an "average" of certain caliber ballistic arcs? or do they set it for your gun and bullet?

The range marks are a typical trajectory for a particular bullet BC and velocity.

It works really well with 308Win out to 800yards when using 168-175gr bullets.  With 223Rem, it works well out to 600yards with 77gr bullets.

Generally, in the RR800 scopes, the reticle was calibrated with an emphasis on 308Win, so it should be a good fit for your AR10.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 17:54
Were it me, I'd put a 3-9X SS on it and be done.

10X for a 50 yard shot is challenging.  If the target is moving, so much the more.

The 3-9X will give you great glass, mil/mil turrets and reticle, and FFP.  

Haven't used the Pride Fowler so cannot say on that one.

I am no big fan of busy reticles.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic