OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Laser Rangefinders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell 1000 vs. 1200

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RDM17353 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell 1000 vs. 1200
    Posted: April/03/2011 at 23:58
My usage with a rangefinder will be for bow and rifle up to 600 yards.  I have narrowed down my search to the Bushnell.  At that range, should I spend the extra money for the Bushnell Legend 1200 ARC.  Looks like the 100 will get me what I need.  Will getting the 1200 get me extra accuracy at the 600+yard range?
Ricky
RDM17353 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RDM17353 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2011 at 23:59
Correction above, i meant 1000 Pro Scott when I wrote 100.
Ricky
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 00:55
600 shouldn't be too hard for either.
-Matt
RDM17353 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RDM17353 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 01:01
1000 a little cheaper, but if I didn't need the more expensive one then I was gonna save those extra bucks.
Ricky
Prieto9000 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 01:45
I have the  scout 1000 and has been impossible to range deer past @400 yds
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 09:12
While not a Bushnell, i had a Leupold that was suppose to be able to range to 1000 plus.  I had a hard time ranging anything over 400 yards.  I have also used Bushnells that did not work well at all.

Point is many range finders deal with reflective vs non reflective targets.  And because of that they just do not work well on game themselves.  I think a lot of them could only reach even close to their listed max distance with absolutely perfect conditions.  Prefect light, perfect wind, perfect atmosphere, perfect object, etc. 

I have had a Lieca crf 1200 and now Leica Geovid 1300.  They will range anything at any distance in most lighting.  They just flat out work.  Not saying you need to buy those, it has just been my experience that with RFs you really get what you pay for.

Asking around is a good thing, try as many as you can before you buy.  Many of them are pure junk IMO.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 09:15
I took a precision rifle class and a guy in the class had one of these.  http://swfa.com/Nikon-7x25-Monarch-Gold-Laser1200-Rangefinder-P42407.aspx

It ranged as good as my Leica on anything we tried.  At longer distances beyond 1200 it actually ranged a little more consistently.  While the glass quality was not up with the Leica, the ranging capabilities were very good.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 09:57
My buddy has the ARC 1200 and we got readings on rocks at 900 plus yards after several tries. I have a Bushnell Elite 1500 and can hit rocks quickly and easily at 1000. Like ST says about the Nikon, the 1500 doesn't have top shelf glass, but it ranges as well or better than the Euro's best.
-Matt
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2012 at 16:18
I was very disappointed with my crf1200.  In the least bit challenging light, i.e. slight haze, pre dawn, dusk, etc it wouldn't even give a range at all.  I've been very critical of leupold rf's in the past, and considered every one of the older models a total piece of crap,, but this year my nephew showed up with a Leupold RX 1000i and I can tell you it beats the pants off of the crf I had in every way, and ranges everything I've tried very reliably, inc deer out to 860 yds, even in the lighting conditions my crf wouldn't.  To say I was surprised is an understatement.  The crf went down the road, quickly.  I loved the Swaro too with exception to one major complaint......the reticle is way too big to consistently get reliable ranges, especially in flatter country.  It ranges much farther than the crf and Leupy I mentioned, but I got lots of false readings due to the huge circle aiming reticle.  It went down the road too.  
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2012 at 16:41
Originally posted by RDM17353 RDM17353 wrote:

My usage with a rangefinder will be for bow and rifle up to 600 yards.  I have narrowed down my search to the Bushnell.  At that range, should I spend the extra money for the Bushnell Legend 1200 ARC.  Looks like the 100 will get me what I need.  Will getting the 1200 get me extra accuracy at the 600+yard range?
To answer your question no it is not worth the extra money in my opinion. The Scout 1000 is the best rangefinder under $275 that will do bow and rifle within 400 yards or so. Both rangefinders are a very good combo for rifle and bow hunting 400 yards and in. However I don't believe you will get consistent ranges out of the Scout 1000 past 450 yards and the Legend advertises this exact phrase, "The Bushnell Yardage Pro Legend features 6x magnification, 15-930 yard range (deer size target, 475 yds), and is completely waterproof."

Also, to note on the Leupold they are very busy and have a ton of different modes and screens if you are looking for a point, click, and range rangefinder stay away from Leupold.

I have had very good luck with Leica and Swarovski both.

The Nikons have always seemed to be consistent and a good value for what they are.

If you can live with the 400 yards and in I would go with the Scout 1000. If you need 600 yards and the $380 is within your price range I say get the Nikon Monarch 1200.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2012 at 17:54
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

I was very disappointed with my crf1200.  In the least bit challenging light, i.e. slight haze, pre dawn, dusk, etc it wouldn't even give a range at all.  I've been very critical of leupold rf's in the past, and considered every one of the older models a total piece of crap,, but this year my nephew showed up with a Leupold RX 1000i and I can tell you it beats the pants off of the crf I had in every way, and ranges everything I've tried very reliably, inc deer out to 860 yds, even in the lighting conditions my crf wouldn't.  To say I was surprised is an understatement.  The crf went down the road, quickly.  I loved the Swaro too with exception to one major complaint......the reticle is way too big to consistently get reliable ranges, especially in flatter country.  It ranges much farther than the crf and Leupy I mentioned, but I got lots of false readings due to the huge circle aiming reticle.  It went down the road too.  

Of course you had problems with it.  You have problems with everything everyone else says they like.  Wink.

I was using my Geovids this year on the elk hunt.  It was snowing like a mother for 10 hours straight.  I was able to range trees and rocks out to 1200 yards with no problems.  My crf worked just was well in rain and snow.  I have even used them in almost dark conditions and still had them both work very well.  I actually ranged a yote at 600 yards in low light. 

Maybe you just got a dud. 

rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2012 at 18:04
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

While not a Bushnell, i had a Leupold that was suppose to be able to range to 1000 plus.  I had a hard time ranging anything over 400 yards.  I have also used Bushnells that did not work well at all.

Point is many range finders deal with reflective vs non reflective targets.  And because of that they just do not work well on game themselves.  I think a lot of them could only reach even close to their listed max distance with absolutely perfect conditions.  Prefect light, perfect wind, perfect atmosphere, perfect object, etc. 

I have had a Lieca crf 1200 and now Leica Geovid 1300.  They will range anything at any distance in most lighting.  They just flat out work.  Not saying you need to buy those, it has just been my experience that with RFs you really get what you pay for.

Asking around is a good thing, try as many as you can before you buy.  Many of them are pure junk IMO.

I the stores I have been to they only had Lieca 1000yd range finders where have you seen these?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2012 at 19:14
Originally posted by rustic rustic wrote:

where have you seen these?

The 1200 is discontinued and replaced by the 1600.  This is a great rangefinder.

-Matt
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2012 at 19:21
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

where have you seen these?

The 1200 is discontinued and replaced by the 1600.  This is a great rangefinder.

Have you used one these? Under 8oz sweet!
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 15:38
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Of course you had problems with it.  You have problems with everything everyone else says they like.  Wink.

It is what it is, regardless of brand or whatever logo it has on it.  Lots of people can't get past the fact that even expensive stuff can be a lemon.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 16:41

Have you used one these? Under 8oz sweet!

Yeah a buddy has one. Hard to find fault with it. Ranges as good as the Bushy Elite 1500, but the glass is much, much better. It is also much smaller.
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic