OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

A rookie with some questions...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 10:33
    Thanx ya'll, I'll try trimming the brass and tightening up my sizing die a bit.
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 17:41
You shouldn't have to crimp anything in order to make it not stick in the chamber.  It seems odd that crimping your rounds fixed the problem.  Trimming the brass and screwing the resizing die down a bit seems to be the right way to go.  I've got a piece of crap trimmer and if I don't chamfer he heck out of the outside neck after trimming I've have cases that have stuck in the chamber.  
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 17:54

Edited by Bitterroot Bulls - April/11/2011 at 00:39
-Matt
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 19:43
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Originally posted by ckk1106 ckk1106 wrote:

You shouldn't have to crimp anything in order to make it not stick in the chamber.  It seems odd that crimping your rounds fixed the problem.  Trimming the brass and screwing the resizing die down a bit seems to be the right way to go.  I've got a piece of crap trimmer and if I don't chamfer he heck out of the outside neck after trimming I've have cases that have stuck in the chamber.  

He screwed the die down to get the crimp.  This probably knocked the shoulder back a little further.  In fact, the neck probably didn't get crimped at all.  The case was just sized enough to chamber better, in all likelihood.

Did he screw the resizing die down to crimp or the seating die.  Should have been the seating die which wouldn't have knocked the shoulder back... I think.  Maybe I'm wrong.
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 20:04
    Ok, trimmed down my brass to 2.080. Speer manual #14 said trim to 2.090 which is what my brass was at already, and what I used on the previous batch. The RCBS die instructions says to set your sizing die as follows: Screw your sizing die down until it touches shell holder, lower shell holder, go an 1/8 - 1/4 turn more. This time I went a hair over a 1/4 turn. I took some good advice and made a dummy round to start with and guess what? Worked perfectly. Fits right in the chamber with your fingers and with no slop. So, next I made five hot rounds exactly the same size as the dummy. Checked them in the rifle and they worked fine too. I remeasured the OAL of the cartridges to make sure that the bullets hadn't moved from being cycled in the action and they were fine, went to the range and shot a group that I didn't think my BAR was capable of shooting. Apparently, having the extra OAL that I wanted (to get bullet closer to the lands) helped. Also, not crimping them may have helped, no idea. Someone above questioned whether they were actually crimped or just made shorter with the die. I think they were actually crimped because I thought I had to seat the bullets to the cannelure, then when they kept getting stuck I backed the plug way up and the die down a little. It seemed to push the edge of the case into the cannelure. The instructions say to do this in one step (seat and crimp) but obviously at this point I couldn't. Anyway, I'm getting side tracked. The help I got from ya'll was great and I'm very happy with my first efforts at reloading. Now I just need some more dies, bullets, powder...

Edited by tejas - April/10/2011 at 20:05
Rothstein1987 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 22:24
Very nice Excellent How do you like the chucker?
Mausers forever

That was great but can you do it again??
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2011 at 23:07
Welcome to the world of reloading tejas.Don't you love it when a plan comes together Yippee
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 00:31
Originally posted by tejas tejas wrote:

Someone above questioned whether they were actually crimped or just made shorter with the die.

Sorry, that was me.  I thought I read in your post that you were trying to get a crimp using the sizing die.  My apologies.

-Matt
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 08:04
good work dude!Excellent
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 09:24
That's great news that you got everything figured out.  Get ready to start obsessing about reloading.  Big Smile
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 18:17
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Originally posted by tejas tejas wrote:

Someone above questioned whether they were actually crimped or just made shorter with the die.

Sorry, that was me.  I thought I read in your post that you were trying to get a crimp using the sizing die.  My apologies.

Don't worry about that. I only THINK I crimped them, I'm a long way from being sure. Thanks for all the excellent advice from everyone. 7mm-08s are next, and i have a question right off the bat. Can i use my once fired .308 brass or would i be better off to order new 7mm-08 brass?
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 18:25
Since you own a 308 also, I would run nothing but properly head stamped brass in both those weapons. That way, it will cut down on the possibility of getting the calibers mixed up.  
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 19:26
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

Since you own a 308 also, I would run nothing but properly head stamped brass in both those weapons. That way, it will cut down on the possibility of getting the calibers mixed up.  

+1 It would be easy to get them mixed up accidentally. 
-Matt
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2011 at 22:30
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

Sounds reasonable to me. Just ordered some 7mm-08 brass. Thanx Ya'll.

sofalyr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sofalyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2011 at 13:06
I started with the little Lee kit for 30-06 50yrs ago... worked great.  Moved to RCBS rockchucker to full length size 30-06 and .338 Win mag.  Next Dillon 450(later upgraded to 2 550B's  for high volume production with a friend.  Then added the RCBS Ammomaster 5 station.  Now have the Dillon 550B and a Lee turret press (3 die).  Lee does everything and more than the rockchucker, Dillon is much better than  the RCBA 5 station  (have 2 of these).  Like the turret heads to store dies.  Use the 550B for loading volume once I have the load I want... the Lee for working up loads.  Curently load for .380acp, 9mm, 38 super, .357mag, 44mag, 22-250, .243win, 6mm Rem, .270 win, 7mm mauser, .280 Rem, .284 Win, 30-06, 35 Whelen, 338 win mag, 416 rem mag.  Use Hornady lock and load electronic powmeasure/scale and Lyman case prep tools.  Would highly recommend the Lee turret and the Dillon press when more funds are available.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic