OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hello and question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnotSlip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello and question
    Posted: March/31/2011 at 13:29
Hello everyone.  I am new to the forum and new to scopes/optics and i have a (what might be stupid) question.  I just purchased a SWFA SS 3-9X42 scope and some Larue Tactical mounts.  I mounted the scope on my rifle and was trying to sight it in using a laser bore-sighter but only at like 20 feet (this was all I could manage in my house).  At this distance, everything was blurry, no matter what adjustments I made.  Is this normal?  Because the scope is intended for longer distances, do I need to use a longer distance for bore-sighting?  And, at what range/distance should I expect the sight picture to be clear and not blurry? 

Thank you very much!  This is a great site with lots of great information...And SWFA is awesome!

-KS
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2011 at 13:40
20 Feet is not very far, so yes it would most likely be blurry at that distance.  I am not sure where the parallax is set on that scope but I would bet it would be closer to 100 to 200 yards. 

Figure out how high above your bore the center of the scope is.  Then at about 25 yards (it should be clear enough to get a good view at that distance) set up your bore sighter so it is about that same distance below the center of your reticle.  That should put your pretty close at 100 yards.  Or if possible just do this at 100 yards and center the laser dot in the reticle. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2011 at 13:40
Thats normal and pretty close. go out side and do that at 25 yards and all willbe happy in the world. Oh yeah shoot the rifle to find the true zero bore sighters just get you within a foot or so at 100 on average.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
KnotSlip View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnotSlip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2011 at 13:48
Awesome, thanks guys.  I'm glad there's nothing wrong with the scope.  I figured it must be normal to be blurry at such a short distance.  Thanks for the assistance.  I am heading to the range this weekend so I plan to sight it in there at 50 then 100 yards.  It's on a DSArms FAL (.308 W) so it should be fine sighted in at 100yds. I think.  :) 

Thanks again!
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2011 at 13:50
oh yeah, should be good. I would start at 25 and be about 1/2 low and then go to the 100 line.it should have you pretty close.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2011 at 14:08
i dont boresight I just set up a target at 100 and a cardboard box at 25 once I get close at 25 I start shooting at 100.  With that scope at 100 yds center the crosshair on the target shoot a hole in the target and use the mil dot reticle to measure how high or low and how far left or right in MILs then using the tactical knobs (also in MIL's) dial in the correction - if you measured correctly and dialed in the next shot should be in the X ring.   That is one of the easiest scopes in the world to zero.
METRIC hex wrench 2.5mm to re-set caps - they pull straigh off and have gear teeth so very easy to  work with.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic