OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Meopta Meopro vs. Meostar Bino and Leupold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2011 at 22:02
Originally posted by RDM17353 RDM17353 wrote:

Do you have 8 power or 10 power?  I would need them for a max up to 600 yards.  But my range could be much closer.  I have been reading a ton and have mixed opinions.  A lot of what I have read is than even though you can see the target closer up, the movement would off-set the magnification and defeat the purpose.  So 8 power makes 600 yards appear 75 yards and 10 power makes it appear 60 yards.  Does that make up for the difference in the extra light that the 8 power brings in.  Grant it, the 600 yards is a maximum case.  Thanks
This comes up quite a lot.  I would suppose that most opinions would lean to the 10x42 configuration.  Personally I am a fan of 7-8x.  I prefer the wider field of view, typically brighter image, lessened eye strain potential, increased depth of field (you have a better 3-D image) with less magnification.  Also I find 8x to be useful sometimes in conditions of heat mirage when 10x are generally not much good.  In addition,  the image will be steadier in the hand at 8x than 10x, even if you are steady enough at 10x.  I have both and certainly there are times when conditions are right and the 10x is in its realm.

So I will advise an 8x first, since your initial max stated distance is 600 yards.  A good 8x should handle that just fine.  It does for me anyway Smile.  Then advance into more magnification if your preference dictates it.  In essence you are really the only one who can really answer the question of what magnification is right for you.  What you will likely  find is sometimes one, sometimes the other.

Edited by Klamath - April/01/2011 at 22:06
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

RDM17353 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RDM17353 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2011 at 22:17
Okay, really confused now.  I went to Cabela's tonight.  I went outside right at 8pm on the edge of the parking lot and focused on dark section in and around the parking lot.  I compared the Nikon Monarch X 10.5x45, new Leupold Mojave BX-3 10X42 and the Euro 10x42.  The Monarch was the loser of the three.  
The Leupold and Euro were a toss up.  This conflicts with what I hear about the Euro.  The Leupolds were much lighter too.  I can say I haven't spent much time with good optics, so I was thinking I don't have a trained eye to know good optics when I see them.  The salesman and my son liked the Leupolds better.  I voted a tie.  I went there thinking I would be leaving with the Euros; I left empty handed.  Any experience with the Leupolds.  The are quite a bit less expensive than the Euros.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2011 at 10:53
I would get the one you like the best.  They are for your eyes after all.

The Mojave's I looked through were the previous generation.  They showed distinct field curvature and were a bit soft.  Unfortunately, I was only able to do the parking lot test with them as well.  The Meopta's I had were extremely sharp, and had a nice flat field.  My Meoptas were quite bright as well.

When you find the one you like best, get it.
-Matt
RDM17353 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RDM17353 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2011 at 13:19
Thanks Matt.  I am not completely sure, I still am partial to the Meoptas.  Just came across a pair of Meopta Meostars 10x42 that are 1-2 years old.  New they are $899.  Cabela's has the Euros on sell for $699.  The guy who is selling them I trust, as I hunt with him and know he takes pristine care of his gear.  He told me to make him an offer.  He knows I was impressed with the Leupolds.  He wants to get a 12x50.  What would be a good offer?  You seem to have a good knowledge base with binos.  Thx

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2011 at 15:02
PM sent.
-Matt
RDM17353 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RDM17353 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2011 at 16:58
Back at ya.
Ricky
krshunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krshunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2011 at 23:38
Anyone willing to give me a hand?  I have a NIB pair of Meostar 8x32's for sale but can't post in the for sale sections yet.  Awesome glass, but medical bills are forcing sale before I even had a chance to take them out of the box and use them.  Thanks to anyone who might help post them for me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2011 at 09:48
krshunter,

you are only 20 posts away from being able to post it in the For Sale section yourself.  You can boost your post count here:

http://www.opticstalk.com/boost-your-post-count_topic10080_post405464.html#405464

That way your not getting around the rules.

-Matt
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2011 at 13:15
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

krshunter,

you are only 20 posts away from being able to post it in the For Sale section yourself.  You can boost your post count here:

http://www.opticstalk.com/boost-your-post-count_topic10080_post405464.html#405464

That way your not getting around the rules.

I never knew that was there. Shocked  However I was surprised at the number of Optics Masters, Optics Master Extradorinaire, Optics Jedi Knights, and Optics Gods etc. are posting there.  Is you guys' post count ever high enough Big Smile.

Edited by Klamath - April/03/2011 at 13:16
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

krshunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krshunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2011 at 20:43
Appreciate that Bitterroot. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic