OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

vortex diamondback vs weaver classic v series

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nywoodsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vortex diamondback vs weaver classic v series
    Posted: March/30/2011 at 21:04

Trying to decide what scope to put on my new tikka t3 lite (7mm-08).  Will be used mostly for whitetail and black bear.  I can't imagine having a shot more than 300 yards.  Most will be probably be a little over 100.  Sometimes much less.  What do you think-  2x-7x or 3x-9x ?  Both the weaver and the vortex cost about the same.  Both have fully multi coated lenses.  Both seem to have great reviews (with the vortex seemingly more popular-not sure why as weaver also seems like a lot of scope for the money).  I think the weaver is made in japan (I like the idea of this better) and the vortex in the phillipines.  The vortex probably has better warranty/customer service.  If you think there is a better scope at this price point I am open to suggestions.  Thanks

tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2011 at 21:35
This is a Vortex Viper. It should be better than the Diamondback and is cheaper since they are on clearance.

http://swfa.com:80/Vortex-2-7x32-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P10818.aspx

Edited by tejas - March/30/2011 at 21:36
WYcoyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2011 at 22:01
+1
That would be a sweet match for your Tikka.

PS, welcome to OT.

Edited by WYcoyote - March/30/2011 at 22:03
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2011 at 22:09
A 2-7 would be a great match for your uses.

I have the Viper 2-7, and I think I will order another before they are gone.  I like it more and more every time I shoot the 7-08.
-Matt
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2011 at 22:45
Welcome to OT! I have a weaver classic 4x38 and I love it.... But you would be hard pressed to beat the 2-7x32 viper on your tikka. I also have a 7-08 that wears a 2-7 viper, and find it is just about perfect.

Edited by tman1965 - March/30/2011 at 22:48
jw1976az View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw1976az Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2011 at 00:26
That is a smokin' price for the Viper.  Last year when I shopped around for a scope locally, I settled on the 3-9x40 Diamondback.  It set me back $215, but I have been very happy with it.  If the Viper is better than the Diamondback, then I would say that it would be a no-brainer for that price.

The optics on my Diamondback are bright and clear, and the scope tracks perfectly on my Yugoslavian 8mm Mauser.  8x57 is a hell of a round and the Diamondback has held up quite well and held zero like a champ.  I am a real fan of Vortex's warranty as well.  

My only wish would be for these scopes to be made entirely in the States, but you can't win them all.  :(
Midwest_Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midwest_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2011 at 09:59
I have a couple of the 2-7 vipers mounted on some .22's and they are great. Also the 3-9 vipers in v-plex are on closeout as well. Quick google search should point you in the right direction Big Grin
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2011 at 11:00
ive got the 2x7 on my .375H&H right nowBig Grin
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2011 at 22:20
Yet another Viper 2-7x32 on a new 7mm-08 over here.  My only complaint (minuscule) is that the C3 reticle isn't very thick.
Hubby11 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2011 at 13:12
Got my Viper 2-7x32 on a Sako .308, and I got it just a couple of months before they went on clearance.  Head Banger  Should be plenty scope out to 300 if you do your part.

Untill they are all gone, you cannot do any better for the $$.
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic